HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:10 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw View Post
Speaking of C ratings: Can anybody say if, on the stock Habu setup (ESC too), it is safe to run a 40C 4S pack? What is the amp draw? I know on 30C 4S it's got to be around 45A. 5S 30C it's 70A. It seems like a higher C pack (like GenACE)might be an inexpensive and safe way to get more power.

Thanks
With a really good 4s, you should see around 48A, on 5s, about 65A. I 'think' a higher C batt would make about 3-4A difference. Not sure though.
J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:22 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw View Post
Speaking of C ratings: Can anybody say if, on the stock Habu setup (ESC too), it is safe to run a 40C 4S pack? What is the amp draw? I know on 30C 4S it's got to be around 45A. 5S 30C it's 70A. It seems like a higher C pack (like GenACE)might be an inexpensive and safe way to get more power.

Thanks
You should be fine. Even 65C ThunderPower 3250Mah 4S will not over amp the ESC. The power increase is marginal though. 4S is 4S for the most part as long as decent packs are used. See below:
3300mAh 25C packs should be capable of: 82.5Amps. This is well above what a 4S habu will draw.
That said this is for a brand new just broke in pack. And a lot of packs don't actually deliver the advertised C current.

Bottom line you may see a small increase in power, but I wouldn't worry about breaking anything.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:45 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Well.... guess there's a reason why I never saw much video of the Habu taking off dirt/gravel strips.

During the takoff roll sucked up a little rock & she stopped her forward momentum but the motor was still running, sounded funny, but it she was running, immediately cut the THR. Picked her up & pointed her nose down, not 1 but all 5 fan blades were confetti. Total rookie EDF maneuver!! Here's my question...

Due to my flying field (dirt/gravel strip) what are your thoughts regarding some type of mesh screen at the intake? Does that sound like a good idea or will that really prevent ALL the air from going in the intake?

And since I need a new fan is it possible to add a 10-blade fan on her with the ARC 28-48-1 4250Kv motor & Ice Castle 100a ESC? Or should I stick with what she came with, an HET 6904 fan unit?

Thanks for any help/suggestions in advance. Have a good weekend!!!
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:54 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Well.... guess there's a reason why I never saw much video of the Habu taking off dirt/gravel strips.

During the takoff roll sucked up a little rock & she stopped her forward momentum but the motor was still running, sounded funny, but it she was running, immediately cut the THR. Picked her up & pointed her nose down, not 1 but all 5 fan blades were confetti. Total rookie EDF maneuver!! Here's my question...

Due to my flying field (dirt/gravel strip) what are your thoughts regarding some type of mesh screen at the intake? Does that sound like a good idea or will that really prevent ALL the air from going in the intake?

And since I need a new fan is it possible to add a 10-blade fan on her with the ARC 28-48-1 4250Kv motor & Ice Castle 100a ESC? Or should I stick with what she came with, an HET 6904 fan unit?

Thanks for any help/suggestions in advance. Have a good weekend!!!
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. As far as the mesh, i would think it would depend on how fine the mesh is. If the holes are too small then it would restrict airflow too much. You dont have a decent grass area to belly land? If so, just hand launch it and belly land in grass.

For your fan, a het 6904 fan should be fine. Seversl have put changesun 10 blade fans in. Nit sure about what motor though.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:20 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. As far as the mesh, i would think it would depend on how fine the mesh is. If the holes are too small then it would restrict airflow too much. You dont have a decent grass area to belly land? If so, just hand launch it and belly land in grass.

For your fan, a het 6904 fan should be fine. Seversl have put changesun 10 blade fans in. Nit sure about what motor though.
Unfortunately not a "big" enough grass area for belly landing. But I'll look more into that.

Seems like nobody carries any other type of fan blades, the LHS carries only Eflite fan blades as well as 2 other LHS I've called. So I'll have to mail order the fan, guess I'll stick with what she came with. That HET 6904.

Thanks Nickel!!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:11 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,225 Posts
do u not like the eflight rotor/ fan ? it has proven to be a good fan . just wondered as it sounds like they are in stock locally for u.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:51 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
do u not like the eflight rotor/ fan ? it has proven to be a good fan . just wondered as it sounds like they are in stock locally for u.

chuck.
I don't know what the difference is as far as stock/HET fan? I have no problem going with the stock fan, I just figured since it came with the 6904 fan I'd stick with that. But I have no problem going with the stock fan. And I did talk to my LHS and they do have the stock fan available, so the HET 6904 is ordered and I'll pick up the stock fan on the way home from work tomorrow!! Thanks though!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:39 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,225 Posts
i have used both the 6904 and the v15 . both are good strong fans . if i recall correctly the current draw is similar at the same kv , so performance should be close.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
+1 for hand launching and belly landing. If you have access to a grassy field, hand launching and belly landing is great. I put Extreme Tape on the bottom of my Habu and it's doing great.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:27 PM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
387 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me with the h2. I have flaps and retracts with weight in the tail to balance cg. Also I'm using a 5s battery . All the weight made it impossible to take off from the grass field that my original Habu took off from with out a problem. I had to take off from the parking lot next to the field and as soon as the plane took off it made a strange sound and it got worse in a few seconds. At this point I noticed there was no power. I couldn't find a suitable place to land close by so I was lucky to keep her in the air long enough to land her on the grass field. Amazingly there was no damage other than bent gear. I noticed all the blades where missing off the fan. I didn't notice anything going in but I'm sure I sucked up a rock. I got lucky not losing her I felt like captain sully lol. Anyway not being able to take off from grass is going to be a problem in many ways. Flaps and retracts are cool but I think its best to keep it simple and just hand launch. I have had issues with this as well so I might use a bungee system on another habu with no flaps or retracts. I know long story but it was interesting experience.
crashkorey is online now Find More Posts by crashkorey
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:45 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Looks like I'll definitely have to scope out a grass field!!! Thanks for all the info guys!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:54 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,625 Posts
I hate hand launching the Habu. You need a more powerful setup than stock(on 4s). I nosed my original Habu(still flies great after surgery) and it ate some debris even though I had successfully launched it numerous times before. Too much variation in the throws/launches. Much prefer paved runways for all takeoffs. For landing, I do like tall grass for the simplicity and softness(landing gear takes abuse on pavement). I just make sure the throttle is cut when I land.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:51 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
I hate hand launching the Habu. You need a more powerful setup than stock(on 4s). I nosed my original Habu(still flies great after surgery) and it ate some debris even though I had successfully launched it numerous times before. Too much variation in the throws/launches. Much prefer paved runways for all takeoffs. For landing, I do like tall grass for the simplicity and softness(landing gear takes abuse on pavement). I just make sure the throttle is cut when I land.

The original Habu is ridiculously easy to hand launch especially on a nice light stock setup. (Just make sure you have good batteries). For all the people trying to throw it like a football (overhand), listen to Horizon!! Launch the plane underhand.
1) Hold the TX in your right hand, plane in your left. Hold the plane just aft the the wing and just in front of the dorsal leading to the tail.
2) face into the wind.
3) use your shirt or mouth to give full throttle
4) hold a little bit of up elevator to keep the nose from dropping to fast.
5) gently toss the plane forward and up with the plane in a 20-30* attitude.
* DO NOT throw it as hard as you can!!!
* The plane should only be about head high 70% of the throw should be forward motion and only 30% up.
6) try to make only small corrections and do not pull back on the elevator as the plane sinks. And it will sink as it accelerates. The goal is to let it ride in ground effect to pick up speed.
Depending on wind speed the plane should flying plenty fast to climb in about 50ft.
I've personally launched my stock power system habu in a 10mph gusting to 15mph wind and within 15 ft the plane was climbing at a 30* angle and accelerating.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
387 Posts
With 5s power installed will it be easier to hand launch? I know its heavier but its also more power to get moving.
crashkorey is online now Find More Posts by crashkorey
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkorey View Post
With 5s power installed will it be easier to hand launch? I know its heavier but its also more power to get moving.
My hand is not big enough to grip the plane from on top and do an underhanded launch. so i am on 5 cells anyway and throwing it football style is no problem on 5 cells. Hold in front of the wings not behind the wings.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1