HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:08 AM
Registered User
Heirmeistr's Avatar
USA, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jun 2007
327 Posts
I have flown my Habu on the stock setup and now want to try some mods. 1st I want to improve the sound, some guys at my field call most edf jets hairdryers. I hate to admit it but most, including my Habu, do sound like hairdryers. So if I replace the stock fan with the 10 bladed CS fan and upgrade my esc to Castle 100 amp, will that work with the stock motor and 4 cell LiPo? How about a 5 cell LiPo for greater speed? Thanks.
Heirmeistr is offline Find More Posts by Heirmeistr
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:44 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
jgalexander's Avatar
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,921 Posts
I'd take a peek here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=chang+sun
The stock habu motor is 3200kv. A 3300kv Turnigy motor pulled 87A on 4s, while a 3000kv Turnigy motor pulled 89kv on 5s. Those numbers seem a little off, so you might try searching the main change sun 70mm forum (below) to see if others have tried the same setup. My guess is that on 5s you'll be very close to 100A.
Josh

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=chang+sun
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:48 AM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Just got done flying my habu with the bigger air duct cut into the bottom gear mounting plate. Made a good difference. ESC is now touchable for as long as I want to touch it where before it was not. Battery was still fairly hot, but still holdable too. Definitely helped. it was 85 degrees and sunny out.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:42 AM
Registered User
Left Coast DJ's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,043 Posts
I just drilled two holes near the ESC and two more near the Rx angled towards the ducts.

The two holes near the ESC are very visible and not all that attractive. Is there anything off-the-shelf I can get to make the two holes look less ghetto? I was thinking perhaps screw-hole caps with holes drilled in them. Anything else?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:55 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
v8truckin's Avatar
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
I just drilled two holes near the ESC and two more near the Rx angled towards the ducts.

The two holes near the ESC are very visible and not all that attractive. Is there anything off-the-shelf I can get to make the two holes look less ghetto? I was thinking perhaps screw-hole caps with holes drilled in them. Anything else?
I used straws and cut them at 45-65* angles and them to length and inserted em inside the fuselage. Makes em look more stock than ghetto, lol! take a look at Takiss post in the last page and you can get an idea of what im a talking about. A dab of hot glue on the straw before you insert it keep it secure. Oh ya I drilled my cooling holes at an angle back rather than straight into the fuse, but works the same way for either ways.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:14 AM
Registered User
SKYRYDER1000's Avatar
NEW JERSEY U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heirmeistr View Post
I have flown my Habu on the stock setup and now want to try some mods. 1st I want to improve the sound, some guys at my field call most edf jets hairdryers. I hate to admit it but most, including my Habu, do sound like hairdryers. So if I replace the stock fan with the 10 bladed CS fan and upgrade my esc to Castle 100 amp, will that work with the stock motor and 4 cell LiPo? How about a 5 cell LiPo for greater speed? Thanks.
The 5s setup I use with my Habu is here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8994

85amps 1550 watts and so far a 116.9 mph top speed.

You can view my videos of this setup on my youtube page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/skyryder1000
SKYRYDER1000 is offline Find More Posts by SKYRYDER1000
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:46 AM
Registered User
rimripper's Avatar
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Just got done flying my habu with the bigger air duct cut into the bottom gear mounting plate. Made a good difference. ESC is now touchable for as long as I want to touch it where before it was not. Battery was still fairly hot, but still holdable too. Definitely helped. it was 85 degrees and sunny out.
I did this mod last year on my habu (posted the temp difference also)
If your going to open the gear port up to let more air in I highly suggest that you also make 2 open ports inside the lipo bay that run into the induction ports for the intake,this will allow the hot air to be sucked out,creating much lower temps in the bay.
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:51 AM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimripper View Post
I did this mod last year on my habu (posted the temp difference also)
If your going to open the gear port up to let more air in I highly suggest that you also make 2 open ports inside the lipo bay that run into the induction ports for the intake,this will allow the hot air to be sucked out,creating much lower temps in the bay.
I did. I did that first actually and wasnt seeing a difference so that is when i opened up the opening.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:53 AM
Registered User
rimripper's Avatar
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,460 Posts
Yea it's like letting more air into a motor....if your letting more air in....you need to let more air out.
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:00 AM
Registered User
Left Coast DJ's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,043 Posts
Anyone take their Habu up high and intentinally stall as a test? If so, easy to recover like other ParkZone planes?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:24 AM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
360 Posts
Strange question.but she recovers very well
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:27 AM
ZX-10R pilot
setxws6's Avatar
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Anyone take their Habu up high and intentinally stall as a test? If so, easy to recover like other ParkZone planes?
Habu has a low wing loading considering the wing area and weight, it's almost a trainer edf. Also it has a delta wing style and delta wings are know for their stability.
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:59 AM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Anyone take their Habu up high and intentinally stall as a test? If so, easy to recover like other ParkZone planes?
I do this on every plane I own! I'd strongly recommend it to everyone. It really helps get a feel for how the plane will handle when slow for landing.

The habu stalls at a ridiculously slow speed for an edf. Stalls on mine almost always are preceded by visible buffeting and wing rock. At the stall there is a large nose drop. If you don't correct you'll get a wing drop as well. Strangely enough mine takes at least 4 rotations to really get into a spin and even then full spin controls must be held. The second you relax the elevator OR rudder it will stop auto-rotating. Recovery is simple just center or slightly push(nose down) elevator and it'll fly out. Make sure you let it build speed before trying to pull out of the dive or it'll re-stall.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:36 PM
Registered User
Left Coast DJ's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,043 Posts
I too like to stall my planes up high when I get them just to feel more comfortable flying them. But so far I've been too chicken to intentionally stall my Habu, my first EDF, out fear of not being able to pull out of it.

But I'll give it a go this weekend.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:50 PM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
ok, just got back from flying my habu with my new Gens Ace 3300mah 25c 5 cell....and let me tell you...WOW! I have been flying it on a 3300mah 40c 5s Sky Lipo and I feared the Gens Ace would not be enough power or as powerful anyway as the Sky Lipo being only 25c instead of 40c. I had heard several people say though that a Gens Ace 25c is equal to most off brand 40c batteries and they were more then right! either I got a bad sky lipo or they are definitely over rated. This Gens Ace blew the Sky Lipo away! Super fast now! Very noticeable difference. Highly recommend this Gens Ace!
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Parkzone EDF jet HABU comox yqq Foamy EDFs 242 Dec 13, 2011 02:33 PM
Discussion Selecting an EDF/motor for 1st "JET" Texas Buzzard Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 22 Feb 01, 2008 01:52 PM
Looking for 1st EDF jet...Help? stegre Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 13 Jan 12, 2003 08:18 PM
Recommendation for 1st EDF Jet? HardAbz Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 14 Aug 08, 2001 12:06 AM
best edf jet to start with ? exowatt Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 19 May 04, 2001 12:39 AM