HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:55 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Too nasty to fly, so it was a nice day for new decals to be applied and change her a bit.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
Walrus...any pictures?
I did flaps just like the guy in post 5393, pics here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s#post16609776

This guy did the same:
Habu flap and retract mods (0 min 22 sec)

It was $4 for servos, already had some linkages laying around, works like a champ!!
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:28 AM
USA, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jun 2007
327 Posts
I have a habu that has just been sitting around for a while. Now I want to paint it and fly it, but before I paint it I should do my mods first. Is there a post or list of recommended mods? I am especially interested in what some have done to keep the ESC running cooler. Adding ventilation holes and relocating the ESC?
Thanks
Heirmeistr is offline Find More Posts by Heirmeistr
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:43 AM
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Apr 2006
133 Posts
Dan767 is offline Find More Posts by Dan767
Last edited by Dan767; Feb 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:17 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heirmeistr View Post
I have a habu that has just been sitting around for a while. Now I want to paint it and fly it, but before I paint it I should do my mods first. Is there a post or list of recommended mods? I am especially interested in what some have done to keep the ESC running cooler. Adding ventilation holes and relocating the ESC?
Thanks
The ones I've seen most often are:
1) open cooling holes just behinds the stock receiver location into the ducting to help suck air out of there.
2)relocate ESC, stock location standing on end for more exposed surface area, recessed into the intake ducting about an inch to 1 1/2" back of the intake, or in the belly under the wing or just behind the wing.
3)retracts
4)flaps/spoilers
5)5cell on stock motor and just up the ESC to a 100a everything else handles 5S just fine.

The nice thing about moving the ESC back is it helps fix the stock nose-heavy CG. And if you move it to the intake ducting you can get rid of the motor wire extensions, which add weight.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_walrus View Post
I did flaps just like the guy in post 5393, pics here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s#post16609776

This guy did the same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h38Y7Hw2Rn0

It was $4 for servos, already had some linkages laying around, works like a champ!!
Thanks!! I am going to do this. I had one very bad experience when I throttled down while turning into my final approach (lawn dart). Since then, I eat up a lot of runway when I land my Habu. (I have even had it so far away from me that I could not see when it touched ground.) I think flaps will really help me cut down the space needed for landing.
ufale is offline Find More Posts by ufale
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:42 AM
Bishops Stortford, UK
Joined Dec 2005
157 Posts
I agree with most recent comments on this thread, the Habu thread needs to keep going, as it is such a great all round EDF plane, so here is my 2 cents worth.
I dont know whether it has been tried before on this thread, so I apologise in advance if it has, but I am currently experimenting with micro cooling fans on the stock 60A ESC.
I did a brushless motor conversion on a buggy a while back, and the buggy ESC came with a cooling fan which gave me the idea. I didn't want to move things or cut things about in the fuselage just yet.
I have come across the ESC temp cut out like most people who have tried upgrading the motor. I currently have the Eflite 3600kv motor in it, and the ESC is not very reliable, even though it is only pulling about 45-47 Amps at WOT.
I did put a Mega 16 15 2 in a Wemo Fan on 4S in the Habu a while back and the Stock ESC didn't want to know at all. I am running 60A ESC's in other models with this combination with no problems, so I am sure the stock Eflite 60A ESC is up to the job.
First indication are really good. I only have a 17 x 17mm micro fan on the ESC at the moment, as it was all the Electronics shop had in stock. This is a little too small I feel, so I have ordered a couple of larger cooling fans to try out. They are 5v fans, weigh nothing, and I am running them from a spare socket on the receiver. They only draw about 0.2A so battery consumption isn't really an issue. All I have had to do is add a male servo connector to the cooling fan with no other modifications.
I will keep those who are interested updated.
Airbusboy is offline Find More Posts by Airbusboy
Last edited by Airbusboy; Feb 12, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:13 AM
USA, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jun 2007
327 Posts
Thanks Kalmon!
I really like what Depron Dave has done with the retracts. Looks like he has his ESC moved behind the wing as you mentioned. I spent a lot of time last night looking for a picture of where and how people have moved their ESC. I couldn't find a single picture. Does anyone have one? As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!! Thanks
Heirmeistr is offline Find More Posts by Heirmeistr
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:16 PM
Kauai, Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
Why not just buy another airframe? Not sure how pricey they are though.
I would but HH says its no longer available and out of stock. Geez, what a bummer. I wasn't wild about the paint scheme but the Habu flew so good I'll miss it. I need the complete airframe kit, dang it sucks they don't produce it anymore. I fly off a rough grass runway so the newer Habu is out of the question as it doesn't look like a good belly lander.
tacoturbo is offline Find More Posts by tacoturbo
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:36 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
You can't get parts anymore? Weird. The new habu would definately not be a belly lander.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:39 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Complete air frame still showing on parkzones site.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:48 PM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
718 Posts
You can still get all the parts individually.
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:41 PM
Lots foam, so little time
northridge California
Joined Oct 2004
1,159 Posts
ESC relocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heirmeistr View Post
Thanks Kalmon!
I really like what Depron Dave has done with the retracts. Looks like he has his ESC moved behind the wing as you mentioned. I spent a lot of time last night looking for a picture of where and how people have moved their ESC. I couldn't find a single picture. Does anyone have one? As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!! Thanks
Here is from post 8290
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...c#post20268073
Depron Dave is online now Find More Posts by Depron Dave
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:44 PM
Lots foam, so little time
northridge California
Joined Oct 2004
1,159 Posts
Parts.....

Yeah I just got all the parts individually from HH .for a back up
Depron Dave is online now Find More Posts by Depron Dave
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:13 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depron Dave View Post
The only reason I didn't mount my ESC there was the extra long battery extension i'd need to get power back there.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon