HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2009, 12:23 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
......and they have jacked the price. The airframe was listed for $74.99 and back order capable, just as shown in the first pic. But when you click on the direct link, the price has suddenly changed to $99.99.(pic 4) Then I tried putting it in my shopping cart and there is an "Oversize Fee" of $13.50 slapped on for a total of $113.49 before shipping. (pic 3). That's a 51% increase for this foamy airframe that is not even available yet. I don't appreciate the games; I think I'll pass.
Oversized.. Have you seen the size of the parkzone aircraft boxes??? They're not small, they're BIG and have lots of foam inside them, including the airframe

Also, a WIDE one piece wing can also make a large box...
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2009, 12:39 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Oversized.. Have you seen the size of the parkzone aircraft boxes??? They're not small, they're BIG and have lots of foam inside them, including the airframe

Also, a WIDE one piece wing can also make a large box...
It doesn't take much to qualify for "oversize" rates nowadays with either UPS or FEDEX. That's not the point; they pay much discounted corporate rates and should absorb some of the larger ones just like how they benefit from overcharging for some of the undersize packages. It all evens out for them in the end. Besides, don't try to tell me they are hurting on margins when they can afford to clog up everyone's mailbox with that expensive, large and glossy catalog they send to everyone regularly.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Nov 01, 2009, 05:10 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Wow!

Wow!

I myself subscribed to this thread a while back when it was opened and I have been monitoring it carefully.

My take is that this is the very first time that Park Zone is offering a true Electric Ducted Fan RC Jet. Perhaps it might not have all the bells and whisles that someone might like against comparing it to other makes but, I myself is interested in the model and I do have a 70mm fan unit lying around so, I will be interested in the airframe only deal.

Let's see about giving Horizon Hobby / Park Zone some needed slack here as this model is still not available anyways and their web site might be in need of a tune-up of sorts.

Let's not rain on their parade and that of others "and" a simple TELEPHONE CALL might mean the difference of the price as I have nothing but, great experience with their Sales, Customer and Tech departments!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Nov 01, 2009, 07:36 AM
United States, NM, Alamogordo
Joined May 2009
100 Posts
Per Horizon's Facebook Page:
Quote:
Jim Booker
It might (might) be possible to put the retracts in there with a lot of modification work. I don't believe there is any plan to offer a white bare fuselage (like we did for the Stryker).
Fri at 7:13am
alamogordo is offline Find More Posts by alamogordo
Old Nov 01, 2009, 07:43 AM
United States, NM, Alamogordo
Joined May 2009
100 Posts
Parkzone Habu EDF Impeller Jet beim Schaumwaffeltreffen 2009 in Griesheim
Parkzone Habu EDF Impeller Jet beim Schaumwaffeltreffen 2009 in Griesheim (4 min 38 sec)
alamogordo is offline Find More Posts by alamogordo
Old Nov 01, 2009, 09:10 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamogordo View Post
Per Horizon's Facebook Page:
Quote:
Jim Booker
It might (might) be possible to put the retracts in there with a lot of modification work. I don't believe there is any plan to offer a white bare fuselage (like we did for the Stryker).
Fri at 7:13am
Well, count me thoroughly confused. Jim Booker, who does those nice informative new-product demo videos for Horizon (one for Habu is at: h ttp://www.youtube.com/user/HorizonRCdotCom#p/u/8/MGuctkBL0CY ), is saying that he doesn't know if they will be offering the bare airframe, but there already is a bare airframe offered for backorder on Horizon's site, but it has two different prices associated with it.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini-warbird retract mod
Old Nov 01, 2009, 09:30 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
I have a strong feeling that they messed up on the original price of $74. That seems a little low for an airframe of this size and quality.
Their ME-109 is $90 I think, so I actually expected the Habu to cost at least $90.

Shipping is another story :-)
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Nov 01, 2009, 09:37 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
That was a fun vid. It is always nice to see some "real" flying. It looked pretty windy out there... I thought I saw a few funjets.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Nov 01, 2009, 09:42 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,693 Posts
Well, it looks like there has been another development...the price has just been bumped up to match that $99.99 for the Habu bare airframe on the web page for the product (and over the weekend, no less). So it looks like they really did jack up the price by $25 for it before they even got them in!

This makes no sense. This plane is the same size as their BF-109 (Actually, a little smaller, if you add the WS and length dimensions), yet the bare airframe for that is priced at $79.99. Why the 25% extra cost for the Habu foam? Just "because?" (or maybe the price of the BF-109 foam is about to be jacked up too)

I think Horizon is making a huge mistake to not price the bare airframe more reasonably. One of the reasons the Phase-3 F-16 enjoys such continuing popularity is the comfort of knowing that a bare replacement airframe is not too expensive (currently $69.99).
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by herk1; Nov 01, 2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2009, 09:43 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,693 Posts
...[dup post]
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by herk1; Nov 01, 2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2009, 09:44 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,600 Posts
Quote:
Let's see about giving Horizon Hobby / Park Zone some needed slack here as this model is still not available anyways and their web site might be in need of a tune-up of sorts.

Let's not rain on their parade and that of others "and" a simple TELEPHONE CALL might mean the difference of the price as I have nothing but, great experience with their Sales, Customer and Tech departments!
For once I agree with Carlos ... lets not be too hasty to get our panties all in a wad until it is actually available and in stock? I hate to see folks turn on the vendor so quickly. Before the Molotov Cocktails are readied for flight, can we just sit back and wait and see how it all works out. Sheesh, what a tough and fickle crowd you'all can be at times!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Allusive 2.2M
Old Nov 01, 2009, 09:57 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
Well, it looks like there has been another development...the price has just been bumped up to match that $99.99 for the Habu bare airframe on the web page for the product (and over the weekend, no less). So it looks like they really did jack up the price by $25 for it before they even got them in!

This makes no sense. This plane is the same size as their BF-109 (Actually, a little smaller, if you add the WS and length dimensions), yet the bare airframe for that is priced at $79.99. Why the 25% extra cost for the Habu foam? Just "because?" (or maybe the price of the BF-109 foam is about to be jacked up too)

I think Horizon is making a huge mistake to not price the bare airframe more reasonably. One of the reasons the Phase-3 F-16 enjoys such continuing popularity is the comfort of knowing that a bare replacement airframe is not too expensive (currently $69.99, link).
The vendors and manufacturers follow these forums very closely; if they get a sense that they can charge more for an item, they will consider it. That's why it's important for everyone to voice their opinion. In my experience, most of the Chinese based manufacturers and vendors have been very responsive to their customer base. They do listen and want to provide their customers with what we want. About a year and a half ago there was a "revolt" here on RCGroups concerning the skyrocketing prices of foam models; there was much interaction between consumers, manufacturers and vendors which helped set a reasonable cost structure that everyone could live by.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867666

I believe HH thinks they can charge more of a "prestige premium" for this bare foam airframe because of their name. I'd like them to know that $113 (call any surcharges whatever you like, it doesn't change the bottomline) before shipping is too much; that's MY vote and others can voice their opinion one way or another also.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Nov 01, 2009, 10:08 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,826 Posts
All I want for Christmas is a new Habu, a new Habu, a new Habu
There is a lot of griping here but I don't care
Santa leave the kit beside my chair
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 01, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR View Post
For once I agree with Carlos ...
WooHoo it's Christmas in Hell!
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Nov 01, 2009, 11:53 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
It doesn't take much to qualify for "oversize" rates nowadays with either UPS or FEDEX. That's not the point; they pay much discounted corporate rates and should absorb some of the larger ones just like how they benefit from overcharging for some of the undersize packages. It all evens out for them in the end. Besides, don't try to tell me they are hurting on margins when they can afford to clog up everyone's mailbox with that expensive, large and glossy catalog they send to everyone regularly.
You know, you don't have to gripe and moan about it.

As for me, I'd be glad to get an EDF jet that includes quality equipment, with a warranty and guarantee on them.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..