HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2010, 03:20 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
What lipos other than the stock Eflite are you guys using? I like to have more than one pack and would like to find some that are not quite so expensive. My weekend special BNF is on the way via FedEx!
Thanks,
Gary
XPS 4S 3200 30C

xtremepowersystems.net
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2010, 04:08 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,421 Posts
Definitely the XPS 4S 3200/30C or Hyperion 4S G3 3300/35C. I am now an XPS radio and battery convert, no problems with either product in all my EDF models and the rest of the XPS battery line ain't bad either!!
killickb is online now Find More Posts by killickb
Old Feb 01, 2010, 04:26 PM
Internal Paradigm Consultant
Joined Dec 2009
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder View Post
I would guess the temp of the paint is the desiding factor but there may be other factors too.
Btw if you paint in cold temp the paint will cool off bevore it arives at the surface.
Ussaly colder means thicker so it will flow less well and it will take longer to cure/ dry
Best would be to check the company who made the paint and see what they say regarding the temp ect.

For the foam itself it would not make a diference btw.
Thanks for the reply, cmulder

Update on the paint job. It was no problems to spray the plane outside at minus 5 celsius (acrylic paints). I kept the parts at outside temp and brought the spray can out from room temp. Covered well without many problems.

I probably wuld not paint a die cast model in those conditions, but this is foam and it is going to fly.

I am excited to show of my finished plane to the forum. Only fuselage left and I will post pics. Red/white/black color scheme.

It is minus 16 celsius at the moment, so I have to wait for warmer weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afinegan View Post
I guess, 1st time flying, I should only fly it for 3-4 mins, bring her down and check the battery to get a feeling of how much power I used up, I don't want to find out when the bec comes into effect! (using stock battery)
It happened to me. Sounds like the Habu gets a coughing fit
perfeet is offline Find More Posts by perfeet
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:41 PM
Joined Jan 2006
434 Posts
Be careful if you are going to do that, not to put the part discharged battery back in, the ESC as standard sences the start voltage and cuts off at 70% of that value, so a part discharged pack could well go below its safe limit if it reaches the cut of level.

3 or 4 mins has been about a standard flight time for a lot of guys on RCU with the standard pack, just keep her close in after 3mins and fly until the ESC cuts the motor, its a soft cut and the motor will pulse, lower the throttle and you get some power back for a short time.

Mike
BaldEagel is offline Find More Posts by BaldEagel
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:46 PM
Joined Jan 2006
434 Posts
XPS brought a product to market that did not work, did not do what it said in the advertising and cost a lot of people thousands of dollars/pounds stirling because of it, IMO they should not be in buisness, by buying from them and supporting their buisness you are giving them the opertunaty to do it again.

If like me you don't like sharp practice please do not buy their products.

Mike
Old Feb 01, 2010, 07:19 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldEagel View Post
XPS brought a product to market that did not work, did not do what it said in the advertising and cost a lot of people thousands of dollars/pounds stirling because of it, IMO they should not be in buisness, by buying from them and supporting their buisness you are giving them the opertunaty to do it again.

Mike
Dude you must be trippin on somthin' XPS bateries are by far THE best packs out there right now. Not only for their performance, but for their price as well. For example I use their 6s2500 in my heli, that pack cost $82 the equivalant Thunder Power pack that I have cost $185 and it puffed after the first flight, and no I wasnt working it too hard. And I have had 35 flights on the XPS pack with absolutely no problems AND if you get a bad pack from XPS or if it puffs after the first flight they will most of the time replace it free of charge, last time I checked TP makes you pay %50. But I guess everybody has their own opinion
M.Huerta is offline Find More Posts by M.Huerta
Old Feb 01, 2010, 08:43 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
I will personally vouch for the xps batteries. They perform above thier rating.

One of my 4S 3200 30C batteries produced more watts/amps/rpm than a Hyperion 4S 4200 35C.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 09:08 PM
lawndart aerobatic ace!
Joplin, Misery
Joined Mar 2007
407 Posts
Quote:

Mike
I must of missed something because I never heard anything about this.
gr8taz nitro is offline Find More Posts by gr8taz nitro
Old Feb 01, 2010, 09:17 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
I will personally vouch for the xps batteries. They perform above thier rating.

One of my 4S 3200 30C batteries produced more watts/amps/rpm than a Hyperion 4S 4200 35C.
I own 6 hyperion 35C lipos and I got them b/c they were light. The same mah rated turnigy battery but only a 30C out performs them very easliy. A 1800mah 30C turnigy out performs the 1800mah 35C hyperions. I also have 3 2600 35C hyperions and the turnigy 2650 30C wip the floor with my hyperions.

But thats OK I got them b/c they were light and thats what I wanted in my 3d planes
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:12 AM
Terre Haute, IN
Joined Jan 2009
159 Posts
I have been flying my Habu with the Turnigy 40c / 50c 3000mah batteries and love every single wide open vertical climb. paid $36.15 plus shipping @ HK. Just orderd the 3300 30c battery from Turnigy today. I was able to get 6 mins with the 3000 with while flying 65% wide open. The charger put 2600 mah back in her after that flight.
tankbuster is offline Find More Posts by tankbuster
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:22 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankbuster View Post
I have been flying my Habu with the Turnigy 40c / 50c 3000mah batteries and love every single wide open vertical climb. paid $36.15 plus shipping @ HK. Just orderd the 3300 30c battery from Turnigy today. I was able to get 6 mins with the 3000 with while flying 65% wide open. The charger put 2600 mah back in her after that flight.
You are well behaved. I need to order a couple more packs. I ordered a BNF on Saturday and have a couple of 30-40C 3500 4S Hobby King Zippy's as well. Those puppies cost be $60 a piece back in the spring. Prices sure have dropped.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2010, 03:46 AM
Joined Dec 2009
385 Posts
Quote:

Mike
I am very happy with my 6s 2500mah XPS batteries

What is wrong with XPS?
Old Feb 02, 2010, 03:49 AM
Joined Dec 2009
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfeet View Post
What timing do you recommend on the stock motor in the kit?

I am not sure it should be: Low, Medium or High.
Here is the official answer from ParkZone

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby Product Support.

The recommended timing setting for the EFLA1060 ESC in the Habu is
Standard timing. While you can set the timing to Low timing for best
efficiency, you may not realize the proper amount of power to
successfully fly the aircraft. As High timing is not recommended for 6
pole motor's you should not use High timing.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 04:34 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
I set mine to high for a little extra power (53 amps and 800 watts peak). Medium should be fine.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 04:54 AM
Joined Jan 2006
434 Posts
XPS don't make batteries they are someone else's cells in their wrapping.

If you had been in RC for any length of time you would know about the XPS 2.4Ghz system, sold as the Graupner IFS system in Europe and the fact it did not do what it was supposed to, this system was withdrawn and a new system brought onto the market, this did not stop a lot of people totalling some very expensive airframes.

Mike