HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by gtfreeflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:45 PM
India, KA, Bangalore
Joined Sep 2009
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer View Post
Don't buy these tail blades. I've lost 3 of them in flight already. They all broke as shown in the picture, with a main rotor speed of only 2700 RPM.
+

What tail blades are you using now?
vinay2070 is offline Find More Posts by vinay2070
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:46 AM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
I was flying Align CF blades until they barely touched the ground and got destroyed. I have been flying the cheaper Align plastic ones for quite some time now, even though I have another CF pair in the toolbox. I'm about to overhaul the whole heli, so I'll switch back to the CF tail blades at that time.

Edit: I have a 500 heli now too, and put KBDD tail blades on. These things are awesome! I did have a minor tail touch that would have normally destroyed the CF blades, but I only scuffed up the tips of the KBDD blades. I resanded the tips with a Dremel and rebalanced them and was good to fly again without having to buy new blades. The KBDD blades are very light and stiff.
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Last edited by gtfreeflyer; Nov 29, 2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 01:05 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Here's proof of my inverted touch-and-go. I got a little too low and ate away at some of the main blade. I was able to pop back into the air and flip over for a normal landing. I replaced the blades with a pair of Align 325D's.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:31 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Well, after nearly two years of flying helis almost weekly, I finally had my first crash yesterday. Guess I am human after all.

I put it down in a soft spot. Looks like I just need to change out the flybar and feathering shaft and a few servo gears. Perhaps I'll find more to fix when I disassemble it. This heli was due for maintenance and upgrading anyway. The onboard equipment was limiting my ability to further progress my skills. I've probably got about 100 flights on it without ever doing any maintenance other than drops of lube every few flights.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:42 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Alright, after the tear-down here's what was damaged:
Feathering shaft
Flybar
Main Shaft
Main blade (only one of them)
Main gear
Servo gears (at least one servo, but didn't check the other two)
Tail servo arm

I already have some of these spares at home, but I placed an order for what I don't have. I also bought a few extra stuff for upgrades and maintenance that wasn't absolutely required at this point, but I figured now was a good time to change them out since I have the heli apart:

HS-65HB cyclic servos
Main shaft bearings
KBDD paddles
Dampers

I checked all the bearings in the head and they still turn nice and smooth. The main shaft bearings were okay too, but felt like they weren't as smooth as before. I'll also put a new tail belt on it since I have one laying around.

I'm curious to fly and compare this new setup!
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:27 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Replacement Parts

Here are parts/sizes I have verified are compatible:

Main shaft bearings 685ZZ - 5x11x5 mm
Align Stainless Steel Flybar Rod/220mm HS1264 - Trex450
Align High Carbon Steel Main Shaft HS1217 - Trex 450 Upgrade
Align Feathering Shaft HS1251 - Trex450SE new V2
Align Damper Rubber HS1254 - Trex450SE new V2
Complete Tail Drive Gear, Front Shaft and Pulley Set HDX450-G01
Tail rotor shaft bearings for HK metal tail box - 3x8x3F mm (flanged bearing)
Align Tail Rotor Shaft H45100 - Trex 450 SPORT

Parts on order, awaiting fit check confirmation:
Tail rotor shaft bearings MR83ZZ - 3x8x3 mm
Align Metal Tail Pitch Assembly/New HS1200 - Trex450 Upgrade
Last edited by gtfreeflyer; Sep 03, 2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:17 AM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Everything arrived yesterday, except for the metal upgrade parts which are still on backorder. Sorry I don't have build pictures. I opened the box and then immediately worked on the heli for about 8 hours total. It's just about finished. I'll fly it stock first, then upgrade it later. They did forget to put the tail servo mounting brackets in the box, so I had to run to the LHS and pick up an aluminum set for $12.

Here's an electronic schematic I made of my setup. I tried to make it easy to understand so someone else could use it too. Enjoy...
+1 been looking for something like this for a while.

Quick Question though, I am not using a BEC, so can I ran my ESC directly to ch7? r still use channel 3?
Silvrav is offline Find More Posts by Silvrav
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:46 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
You don't need a separate BEC unless the one built into your ESC doesn't live up to the task. I think I chose to use one because I had it laying around.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:24 AM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
You don't need a separate BEC unless the one built into your ESC doesn't live up to the task. I think I chose to use one because I had it laying around.
Thanks

Got a blueseries, so should have a BEC build in. therefore I just run my ESC into ch3?
Silvrav is offline Find More Posts by Silvrav
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:39 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Yeah, that's how it would work, but I don't know how many amps your servos draw and I don't know what your BEC is rated for. Go onto the HK450 thread and see if anyone used a similar setup. That's your best bet.