HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2009, 07:11 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,037 Posts
Question
Placing Motor/Radio system from a Radian into an Easy Glider?

I have a Radian and would like an economical way to practice flying a similar plane that has ailerons. Would it be possible for me to simply buy the extra servos and then switch the motor and radio components from a Radian into an Easy Glider?
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Custom Futaba 12z Monitor Mount
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2009, 05:56 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Sure!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 06, 2009, 02:58 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
Sure!
..a
Thanks for the reply, Andy (we're namesakes). One of the reasons I would like to switch over from the Radian to the Easy Glider Pro is because the latter has ailerons, and I would like to slowly train myself to be able to someday handle F5F models (the Radian is only R & E). Toward that end, I was just reading a really good post from May 20, 2003 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=990930) where you helped explain the difference between flaperons and spoilerons. Well, I would love to figure out how to be able to program the Spektrum Dx5e radio that came with my Radian so that when I use it with an Easy Glider Pro I can have both ailerons raise at the same time, thereby acting as spoilerons. Again, my goal would be to train for someday being able to fly F5F planes that truly utilize spoilerons and flaps. Do you know if such programing is possible? The stock receiver that the Radian uses and that I plan to use in the EG Pro is an AR500, which has ports for two ailerons. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, since the EG Pro requires 2 extra servos, would I have to upgrade my Radian battery from the stock 3S 1300 mah Lipo to something bigger? Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AEMontoya; Oct 06, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2009, 03:40 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Aug 2006
322 Posts
Not with a Dx5e tx, but you can have spoilerons with the AR500 Rx and some mixing.

See this thread:

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,56876.0.html
Windknot is offline Find More Posts by Windknot
Old Oct 06, 2009, 05:03 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot
Not with a Dx5e tx, but you can have spoilerons with the AR500 Rx and some mixing.

See this thread:

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,56876.0.html
Thanks for the link, Windknot. Unfortunately, both time that I tried to follow it, I received an error message and was automatically signed off of the internet. I will try it again later.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AEMontoya; Oct 06, 2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:29 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Aug 2006
322 Posts
From the thread in the link above:

Servo settings, if your's are different then some of the '-' may become '+' and visa versa

THR & GEAR = NORM
AILE, ELEV, RUDD, FLAP = REV
My left (looking from the front) wing aileron servo is plugged in to the GEAR channel.
My right (looking from the front) wing aileron servo is plugged in to the AILE channel.
Set your GEAR travel adjust to +0% -0%
Use FLAP and AILE travel adjust as required to adjust your wing servo limits.

You need to do the mixes on PROG.MIX5 and PROG.MIX6 you can use others but the trims for the AILE etc will not work if they are not in 5 or 6 according to the manual.

Here is my PROG.MIX5 This links the FLAPERONS to the GEAR

FLAP -> GEAR
RATE: -100%
-100%
SW: ON
OFFSET: 0

Here is my PROG.MIX6 This links the AILERONS to the GEAR

AILE -> GEAR
RATE: -100%
-100%
OFFSET: 0

Thatís it! If youíre not using FLAPERONS then you wonít need the 5th mix. It can be a bit fiddly to get the lower rate value, I had to set the SW to 'MIX' then use the D/R throttle hold switch to toggle on/off and the aileron control to get to the lower value

I also have a throttle hold switch set up (habit from my Heli's)

PROG.MIX1
THRO -> THRO
RATE: -120%
0%
OFFSET: -125
Windknot is offline Find More Posts by Windknot
Old Oct 09, 2009, 11:36 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya
Well, I would love to figure out how to be able to program the Spektrum Dx5e radio that came with my Radian so that when I use it with an Easy Glider Pro I can have both ailerons raise at the same time, thereby acting as spoilerons. Again, my goal would be to train for someday being able to fly F5F planes that truly utilize spoilerons and flaps. Do you know if such programing is possible? The stock receiver that the Radian uses and that I plan to use in the EG Pro is an AR500, which has ports for two ailerons. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, since the EG Pro requires 2 extra servos, would I have to upgrade my Radian battery from the stock 3S 1300 mah Lipo to something bigger? Thanks.
DX5i is not a computer radio. It has no channel mixing so it can't do flapperons or spoilerons. However if you put a Y cable on the ailerons you can fly the Easy Glider with the DX5i.

The stock battery would be fine.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr