SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: What would you do if you found a plane in the landing zone at Fermin?
Keep it, paint it and then sell it to a friend of the owner. 10 8.85%
Try to contact the owner by posting here in RCGroups. After all, 99% of the slope community are members of this forum. 103 91.15%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 05, 2009, 04:55 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,895 Posts
Poll
What would you do if you found a plane in the landing zone at Fermin?

Just wondering...
slopeiron is online now Find More Posts by slopeiron
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:00 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,197 Posts
Well, if there was any kind of info in it (name, AMA #, etc) I'd contact the owner directly. If no info, then I'd put a post up here on RCG. If the owner isn't located, (within, I dunno... maybe a month or two?) then I'd probably keep it and fly it.

If I still have the plane in uncrashed condition, I'd bring it to the next funfly or event and ask around to see if anybody recognizes it.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:37 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
3,139 Posts
I would ask around and post a picture
on the group's. Ian
bluffman is offline Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:13 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,436 Posts
Some people just do not realize how small of a community the So Cal sloping world is. Or for that matter how small the national sloping community is. A large number of us know slopers from all over the country because of the events we go to year after year.

That being said…It does not take much to destroy your reputation in a small tight community like ours. If you do the wrong thing and make bad decisions that is what you will be remembered for.

Most people however would rather forgive than to hold a grudge (A grudge can be cancerous to your health). So maybe the guy that took the plane and tried to sell it without making an effort to find the owner can apologize, and take responsibility for their wrongdoing, and return the plane to the rightful owner. Hopefully it is not too late for that for the people involved. I wonder if the rightful owner will like the new paint job.

On the slope as well as in life it is always best to apply “The Golden Rule” = “Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself”.

Dave
DWA is online now Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:28 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,436 Posts
Has the plane already been sold? If so that would complicate things a little. If so hopefully the guy that bought it will be understanding about returning the plane to the rightful owner.

Dave
DWA is online now Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:32 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,424 Posts
I think the answer in 99.9% of cases would be as the poll is actually showing, that is the norm in slope flying communities .
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Oct 06, 2009, 02:25 AM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
I'm dying to know the story behind this....

Sadly there wasn't an option there that suited me: but I clicked the right answer anyway

"Be amazed that you're actually AT Fermin and start looking for folk-law heroes of the slope world while trying to dissuade the jumpers - and most likely forget that you found the plane" would have been on the money
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Old Oct 06, 2009, 02:30 AM
__Jackass Savant__
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Feb 2005
2,505 Posts
what kind of tard lands his plane, and forgets it's there??

I'm that kind of tard, but damn...

<--wonders who ended up with his moth from White Point...
theBOZman is offline Find More Posts by theBOZman
Old Oct 06, 2009, 02:42 AM
I want to bark at the moon
2 weeks in SoCal 2 weeks in WA
Joined Mar 2009
576 Posts
I didn't do it. I got alibi I'm in seattle got pictures, plane tickets receipts etc, etc, etc. Maybe a nonflyig person picked it up and it will be useless to them a sloper would have return it.

You guys are making this sound really mysterious. There must be a real good story behind this. Someone please tell.

I believe in karma.
guantamanera is offline Find More Posts by guantamanera
Old Oct 06, 2009, 03:16 AM
Soaring in Sol Cal
San Diego, CA
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
Guys... read his first choice.... It sounds like he already knows who owns the plane and just wants to give a fellow sloper a hard time for leaving it at the slope....

I flew with a guy in LA that left a nice 60" moldie at the hill. We quietly returned it back to his wife. She wrapped it up and gave it to him a week later on his birthday. The look on his face was priceless when it opened it! Good times....
rcGman is offline Find More Posts by rcGman
Last edited by rcGman; Oct 06, 2009 at 03:23 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2009, 05:40 AM
Joined Feb 2006
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeiron
Just wondering...

….I would call Al’z heim number and make him an offer, like 5 dollars, for his left-behind crunchie, if he throws in the trannie and the battery chargers….
doddlepots is offline Find More Posts by doddlepots
Old Oct 06, 2009, 05:56 AM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcGman
Guys... read his first choice.... It sounds like he already knows who owns the plane and just wants to give a fellow sloper a hard time for leaving it at the slope....

I flew with a guy in LA that left a nice 60" moldie at the hill. We quietly returned it back to his wife. She wrapped it up and gave it to him a week later on his birthday. The look on his face was priceless when it opened it! Good times....
That is absolutely priceless, my wife would be laughing the whole time ...

Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Oct 06, 2009, 12:23 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,895 Posts
The poll is kind of tongue-in-cheek but at the same time, there is some truth to the situation. At this point, the origin of the plane is not totally certain.

What happened is that a friend of mine lost a plane at Fermin a while back. He did not leave it there by accident. At certain times of the year, the landing zone at Fermin is covered in grass that is 3-4 feet tall. It makes for very nice landings, but it can also hide your plane to the point where you can’t see it, even if you are just a few feet away. He spent 2 hours searching for it but did not find it. Then he went back the next day and spent another 3 hours looking, but still did not find it.

Then recently another friend of ours bought the plane in question. We all had a laugh about it last weekend, when we realized that it might be the same plane. Apparently, this particular plane has changed hands a couple of times before our friend bought it. It has only been primered and some of the old paint is bleeding through. The colors that are showing through look like the paint job that was on the plane that was lost, but there is not enough of the old paint showing through to tell. We are going to try to get some of the primer off this weekend to see if it is actually the same plane.

Kind of funny but at the same time, if it is the same plane - tssk tssk to the person who found it.
slopeiron is online now Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Oct 06, 2009, 12:32 PM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,668 Posts
Is this a real situation or make believe?
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
Old Oct 07, 2009, 02:00 AM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
I lost my Mini Blade in the brush at Grass Mountain a couple of weeks ago and just got a PM it's been found.

Most slopers are good people and do the right thing.
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell