HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2009, 12:36 PM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,408 Posts
Discussion
Good video gogles for AP?

What are people using? can you see video and plane at the same time?
Joel K. Scholz is offline Find More Posts by Joel K. Scholz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2009, 12:58 PM
FPV Freak :)
Radzionkow, Poland
Joined Sep 2008
594 Posts
If you use gogles you are closed in the plane If u want just a downlink for AP you should use some 7" screen. For gogles info go to fpv section.

http://www.rcgroups.com/video-piloting-fpv-rpv-469/
diem is offline Find More Posts by diem
Old Oct 05, 2009, 04:04 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,177 Posts
Not true Diem! I have Eyetops which are sunglasses with a small screen just below the right eye's line of sight. You can see the aircraft as well as the screen.
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Oct 05, 2009, 04:52 PM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,964 Posts
+1 for eyetops. I don't get the pleasure of using them but camera man uses them to watch camera on heli and then frame shots. He has to watch camera as with robo servos it tends to creep till you trim and even then creeps sometimes - It's not a 360 pan so you can bind up camera / wires without realizing it just watching the downlink.
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:30 PM
FPV Freak :)
Radzionkow, Poland
Joined Sep 2008
594 Posts
My bad, didnt realize that smth like that exist. Does it work good with sunny weather? I still prefere fpv googles but its always good to know
diem is offline Find More Posts by diem
Old Oct 05, 2009, 07:10 PM
Staying Frosty
Joined Feb 2008
2,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diem
Does it work good with sunny weather?
They do from what I've seen, the only time the camera pilot has issues is when the sun is at certain angles behind him it has caught the video display to where it's difficult to see. Since they are sunglasses if the sun is anywhere but behind him he has no issues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:14 PM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,408 Posts
Where does one find eyetops?
Joel K. Scholz is offline Find More Posts by Joel K. Scholz
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:26 PM
Staying Frosty
Joined Feb 2008
2,964 Posts
Ebay Seller I got mine from

I got mine from this guy - shipped quick.

$140 w/out DVD player and $160 w/dvd - both prices shipped. When he runs out it's back to the only other seller that has them for $300+ w/out dvd player.

Doing it again I would do the 140 version if it still came with the nylon portable pouch to house it all. On the DVD version this pouch is designed to hold DVD player / glasses in the bottom portion, then has another pouch mounted to the strap for the control box. Well since I don't need the DVD player I put a 3s lipo + 900mhz receiver in bottom pouch - allows camera operator to wear it over his shoulder while he's wearing the glasses and now he's portable so can move to where he can see helicopter and give me direction if neeed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,495 Posts
I have a pair of the eyetop glasses. I like them except they don't go over my glasses. I've been working on trying to mount the video monitor onto sun-glasses that do go over my glasses but so far I haven't been successful. I also haven't put much effort into it though because of my other setup (the monitor attached to my TX). When I wear my contacts the eyetops work great because I can watch my plane and just glance at the video without taking my eyes off my plane. Great for AP.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Oct 06, 2009, 11:58 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,495 Posts
Hey Joel, I just found this picture in your original Hawkeye thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2398534
This guy is using the EyeTop glasses on one of your Hawkeyes.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek