HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:27 AM
Joined Sep 2005
601 Posts
Discussion
Difficulty to Build Rating System

This is the sister thread to the "Difficulty To Fly Rating System" thread. In this thread I'm hoping we can attempt to classify how difficult certain aircraft are to build.

Definition of build: Assemble and prepare aircraft to fly without significant modifications or hop-ups. Modifications that make assembling easier or more effective are acceptable (such as a different method of hinging the control surfaces).

The rating system also assumes only the use of included documentation and access to forums such as these. It does not assume direct assistance from an experienced builder.

Ratings should be restricted to any aircraft that takes more than 2 hours to assemble (so no RTF, PNP, or BNF aircraft please).

The % is the chance the builder has of getting it right:

1. Beginner, 90% or better
2. Beginner, 70%
3. Beginner, 60%
4. Beginner, 50/50 chance
5. Intermediate, good 2nd build
6. Intermediate, difficult 2nd build
7. Intermediate, good 3rd build
8. Advanced building skills required
9. Advanced with several builds under your belt
10. Expert builders/designers only.

In your rating, please include the Make, model, and material of the plane (Balsa, EPS, EPP, etc). As usual, please put your rating near the end of your message and don't abbreviate.

If you have any suggestions, please speak up. This is a proposed rating system only.

I'll start it off:

1 Stevens Aero STIK (Balsa)
2 GWS Formosa (EPS)
jpwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by jpwkeeper
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2009, 09:53 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwkeeper

The rating system also assumes only the use of included documentation and access to forums such as these.

I have a little problem with this part.

Using the GWS Formosa; if you follow the instructions to a tee, you will smash up the Formosa for sure on the maiden flight. This is because they tell you to set the low rates at nearly 3/4 "

Yes, there are one or two references on the forums to setting the low rates to the correct value, but what are the odds that a new builder is going to search out every reply to the thousands upon thousands of Formosa posts?

Following the instructions to a tee puts the plane into the ground for a guy just coming off a high wing trainer.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 06, 2009, 07:40 AM
Joined Sep 2005
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
I have a little problem with this part.

Using the GWS Formosa; if you follow the instructions to a tee, you will smash up the Formosa for sure on the maiden flight. This is because they tell you to set the low rates at nearly 3/4 "

Yes, there are one or two references on the forums to setting the low rates to the correct value, but what are the odds that a new builder is going to search out every reply to the thousands upon thousands of Formosa posts?

Following the instructions to a tee puts the plane into the ground for a guy just coming off a high wing trainer.

Chuck
So perhaps a Formosa needs to have a tougher rating than a 2 given misleading instructions. That's kind of the idea, just like the other thread, to give people an idea how hard it is to properly build a particular aircraft.
jpwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by jpwkeeper
Old Oct 09, 2014, 04:50 PM
Joined Aug 2014
138 Posts
I've seen posts in these forums where a newbie crashed on his first flight because he didn't know he had to reverse some of the servos on the Radian. At least 50% of the time, these people don't bother to read the instructions.

I answered a post today where some one wanted to know how to get the prop off a UMX Radian. I replied "Page 10 of the manual".

Sheech.
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
Old Oct 09, 2014, 05:07 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,047 Posts
just to clarify: you posted here on a stickied thread that is always at the top of the list on this forum. 10 minutes later you hunted down this clone thread, dead for 5 years, with all of 3 posts on it, and then posted on it.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:21 AM
Joined Aug 2014
138 Posts
Just to be clear, so what? Do you think people don't read these old threads?

I read a lot of these old threads and so do a lot of other people. If it's not a closed thread, you can still post to it.
Are you the forum police? If not, bugger off.
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
Old Oct 15, 2014, 01:07 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,047 Posts
oh heavens no. i wouldn't dream of dissuading you from posting your wisdom here. by all means contribute. your posts belong on this thread.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 19, 2014, 02:10 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jun 2014
528 Posts
Dave778 is offline Find More Posts by Dave778
Last edited by Dave778; Oct 19, 2014 at 02:19 AM.