HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2009, 11:37 PM
Joined Oct 2009
12 Posts
Discussion
Good areas to fly r/c jets in Atlanta, ga area?

I'm new the r/c plain hobby and I want to know some good areas to fly areas where i can fly my plains at in atlanta , area.
skyhigh357 is offline Find More Posts by skyhigh357
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2009, 11:45 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Welcome to RC Groups!

Rule #1 with the hobby: Your first plane should NEVER be a jet!!!!

Jets are FAST, HIGHLY responsive, and absolutely NEED experience and precision to fly them. I've been flying for over 9 years now, and even new jets make me nervous for the first 15 flights or so.

For a beginner, that's just a pile of foam waiting to happen. Good for you, you won't have to wait long, say 5-10 seconds TOPS before you destroy it

My suggestion to you, as a highly experienced modeler, would be to get a Hobby Zone Super Cub LP RTF as your first plane. It's a VERY gentle and stable trainer plane, that doesn't have nasty habbits, so it's perfect for beginners. Also, it's made of highly durable Z-Foam, which can take a lot of abuse before it breaks.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 05, 2009, 12:20 AM
'Sky' King
Watauga, Texas
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
To find RC airfields, try out this website for a start:

www.rcairfields.com

Enter you zipcode, and the map will zoom into your area and display existing RC airfields in the area. You can also use the Parks Explorer button to look for parks that may have suitable open areas for flying.

An open 5 or more acre area is nice when you can find it, but some folks settle with open soccer and ball field areas. You can use the Area Tool to measure the size of an airfield or a potential new flying area in acres.

Also, if you have a local hobby shop, flying clubs and groups often post info, and the staff may have suggestions.

I also agree that the Hobbyzone Super Cub is an ideal starter plane.

Have fun!
Tom
tking2097 is offline Find More Posts by tking2097
Old Oct 05, 2009, 10:33 PM
Joined Oct 2009
12 Posts
I forgot say that i have a 2 channel plane also. I have been using a flight simulator for about 2 weeks. The reason why I bought the jet was to give me some thing to shoot for. I'm not going to flight it anytime soon. thanks for the info
skyhigh357 is offline Find More Posts by skyhigh357
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:15 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,493 Posts
SkyHigh, where are you located in GA?

There are many great venues for Jets here in Georgia; most notably Georgia Jets. They are having a fun fly in 3 days on Saturday, come on down Anything that flies is welcome, but this club is particularly focused on real, turbine-powered model jets.

In regards to where to fly, it really depends on where you are located as there are so many clubs here. Also it depends on what you fly and how fast it is; what did you get?

I live in buckhead at Peachtree and W Wesley and there are several clubs that I frequent. Most of my flying is done at Dunwoody Flying Club or Stone Mountain RC Flyers. I look forward to meeting you, lets get together and burn some lipos

Bradley

Doh! Just saw this thread is 2+years old
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks