HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:28 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Discussion
Brusless Vapor

I'm surprised no one has done a BL Vapor. I will be doing one in this thread. Why you say? Because you can fly this in a garage quite nicely and I think it would be great for evaluating 1 cell BL motors. Soon it will be cold and the flying of micros outside will be less. I can do this mod and still play with different BL motors right in the comfort of my own pole barn.

2 more reasons I'm doing this is....

1. I hate the Hard LVC on the Vapor brick ESC. I have nosed this thing in several times because of the hard cut. A soft cut would have been so much better.

2. Vapor brick ESC LVC cuts way too soon in cold weather.

I believe my new ESC will cure both of these problems.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; May 22, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:40 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
How'd it work with that msl prop? Did you fly anything with it? Whats your approach on props gonna be this time?
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:47 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
That MSL prop works good but draws 1.35 amps with this motor @18g thrust so its not all that efficient.. I'm going with a AH F-18 prop which is very small and draws 750ma. Its going to look a little goofy but I have another prop a little larger that draws 900ma and so forth. I will try them all and see which is best and why.

That MSL prop is about as big a prop you can use on this motor.
Old Oct 04, 2009, 11:12 PM
GARNER NC
Joined Apr 2009
451 Posts
Hey Modfly

I have the Ember2. If this will work on the vapor then it will work on the ember. I have a suggestion on the motor mount. Try useing a piece of wood dowl the same dia. as the stock motor with a piece of balsa glued to the end to mount the motor on. That way you can slide dowl in where the stock motor was mounted. Just my thought.

Kevin
(Kunclebuc)
kunclebuc is offline Find More Posts by kunclebuc
Old Oct 05, 2009, 01:20 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Brushless Vapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunclebuc
Hey Modfly

I have the Ember2. If this will work on the vapor then it will work on the ember. I have a suggestion on the motor mount. Try useing a piece of wood dowl the same dia. as the stock motor with a piece of balsa glued to the end to mount the motor on. That way you can slide dowl in where the stock motor was mounted. Just my thought.

Kevin
(Kunclebuc)
Thats a good idea Kevin but for the particular motor I'm using, I think the mount I came up with is fine. The BL motor mount in the pics is simply a stock GB stripped of all its parts and a BL motor shoved in the hole with some shrink tubing holding it in place.
Last edited by modfly; Oct 05, 2009 at 02:03 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2009, 12:09 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
The BL Vapor Flys!

I flew this in the barn today and it did OK but needs a some fine tuning and a better prop. The motor makes way more power than stock and I was surprised at how fast it would go. You can tell its got extra weight even though its only a few grams more than stock by the way the wing bends under power. I actually need a smaller prop than whats on here now. For some reason, its hitting LVC with a fully charged 70 mah lipo in 45 seconds and with a 120 mah 2 minutes. So I have to figure out the LVC problem. The plane flew good although not as slow as before because of the extra weight but this is the first pass and it does fly just not very long before hitting LVC. I'm looking for a smaller prop or one with less pitch, The one I'm using here is off the AH F-18. This 2g motor is really a very high KV and may require a special prop for this application. I would like to get the current draw down to about 450ma. I think the stock draw is around 450ma. I posted earlier that it was around 700ma but that was wrong.
Last edited by modfly; Jul 10, 2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2009, 03:46 PM
It works, don't touch it.
Joined Dec 2007
2,935 Posts
Modfly, do you think the vapor Rx could handle a sukhoi motor/gearbox with vapor prop?
skiesthelimit is offline Find More Posts by skiesthelimit
Old Oct 06, 2009, 04:05 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
Modfly, on my vapor, i reinforced the wing with thread bracing and a 1mm carbon rod through the top of the wing. this way it can handle both negative and positive G's without hardly any flex
inside and outside loops are much tighter and i think it only added about 0.5 grams total.
i will try and post a pic tonight.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Oct 06, 2009, 04:23 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk
Modfly, on my vapor, i reinforced the wing with thread bracing and a 1mm carbon rod through the top of the wing. this way it can handle both negative and positive G's without hardly any flex
inside and outside loops are much tighter and i think it only added about 0.5 grams total.
i will try and post a pic tonight.
That sounds like a good mod. I would like to see pics of that. I just tried a Estes prop from the 4151 which is the smallest prop I have on the 2g BL motor and it flew apart at WOT This dang motor is too high a KV.
Old Oct 06, 2009, 04:24 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit
Modfly, do you think the vapor Rx could handle a sukhoi motor/gearbox with vapor prop?
Yes.
Old Oct 06, 2009, 06:38 PM
It works, don't touch it.
Joined Dec 2007
2,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
Yes.
Thanks!

Man that BL motor sure looks good on the vapor. Good luck on finding a prop.
skiesthelimit is offline Find More Posts by skiesthelimit
Old Oct 06, 2009, 06:55 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Ok, I found a good prop for the plane. Its from the Estes 4161. It has a spinner on it to so it looks good and works good. I will post a BL Vapor barn flight video here in a minute..

Here we go..
Brushless Vapor Barn flight (0 min 32 sec)

this video shows the ESC initializing and you can hear the tones..
BL motor tone (0 min 7 sec)

This is the first BL plane of any kind to fly in my pole barn. I'm reprogramming the ESC for soft LVC and that should perfect this setup. I have figured out some of the programming on this 1cell AEOF5P ESC. Its not documented anywhere that I can find. To bad as its a great 1cell ESC. Its a bit bigger than the 1gram ESC from HK but works reliably and is programmable..
Last edited by modfly; Oct 06, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 12:40 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
new 2g BL motor mod

Ok, I just made a discovery on the 2g BL motor But first I will explain the problems with this motor... Its KV is so high its nearly useless, I put a Estes 4161 Prop on it and at WOT, The prop disintegrated I want to use this motor on the Vapor because it is small, light and well, cheap! Have not heard much about people using this motor for anything and I now know why, its a .....Power hog. The thing draws 1.3 amp even with a small prop and its only making about 15-18g thrust. The high RPM is apparently confusing the ESC as it prematurely kicks HLVC at 3.7 volts which makes for a short flight. So what to do...I think I found the answer and it involves adding 3 cheap components in a specific spot on the ESC..With this mod I was able to add a much larger prop and have the WOT current draw at 800ma. Have not measured the thrust with this prop but I estimate its around 12-15 grams and more than enough for the Vapor. I am going to flight test it maybe tonight in the barn and I will report the results here.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 03:39 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Ready for test flight with modded 1 gram ESC

Spent all day on this but finally got it done. Thought I was going to get a test flight out in the barn but thats not happening now as the wind is really blowing out there.

I forgot to measure the planes weight stock..

Ok found the weight and specs.

Wingspan: 14.75"
Weight: 0.5 oz. (15 Grams)
Length: 15.25"
Servos: Fully proportional, super lightweight with feedback potentiometers
Transmitter: RTF: 2.4GHz w/Spektrum DSM2; Bind-n-Fly: Any DSM2 transmitter
Receiver: 3-channel 2.4GHz w/Spektrum DSM2 technology
Battery: 3.7V 70mAh LiPo battery (included)
Flight Duration: 15 minutes
Manufacturer: ParkZone
Available From: Your Local Hobby Shop or Horizon Hobby
Suggested Retail Price: RTF:$129.95 BNF:$99.99

Ok, after looking the specs over again, I guess the weight of 15 grams is All up weight? That includes the 70mah lipo? If the AUW is 15 grams stock, then I'm 3 grams over stock weight.
Last edited by modfly; Oct 07, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 03:49 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
Modfly, have you looked into using an ap02 for this? they are much more efficient than that motor and equal weight. link
its listed at 19 grams thrust at only 900ma current draw. granted that is on a rather small prop so you wouldn't get the "vectoring" from the prop wash as much as the stock plane.
keep at it though, i'm sure you'll get it tuned
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk