HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:02 PM
Why do I bother with this crap
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBatter View Post
If I were to guess based on what I see, the fractures look like compression failures in the fiberglass. The breaks are on the right side of the pod, which leads me to guess you are right hand launching. ETC.........................

Just a theory, but it makes sense to me based on what I see.

- Noel
Noel-

Your explanation makes perfect sense, and yes I throw right-handed. Following your logic, once I get the cracks glued shut, reinforcing the entire wing saddle area using light carbon cloth with the strands oriented at 45 degrees might be a good repair plan.

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:09 PM
Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
Just for future reference, I did a mod to my TS1 before I put it together after hearing about pod failures - I laid 3 strands of thin carbon tow up the fuse from the hole in the back up to the middle of the wing saddle. The tow is on the bottom, and high on both sides. It added a couple of grams, but I've not had any issues with my pod, and I give it heaps on launch!
spotterone is offline Find More Posts by spotterone
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:13 PM
Jack's Kid
USA, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2006
663 Posts
I think that large square hole may have helped contribute to this failure..........
My .02
-S
Scott Seidler is offline Find More Posts by Scott Seidler
Old Aug 18, 2010, 09:27 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,867 Posts
Rick,

Noel is pretty accurate about his analysis, save for one thing. You have created a square hole in the wing saddle to allow the wires to go to the wing. A definite no-no as this allows stress to concentrate at the corners and start cracking away. Never make the hole square if possible. Sorry but too late now.

Mike
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:46 AM
Why do I bother with this crap
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
Rick,

Noel is pretty accurate about his analysis, save for one thing. You have created a square hole in the wing saddle to allow the wires to go to the wing. A definite no-no as this allows stress to concentrate at the corners and start cracking away. Never make the hole square if possible. Sorry but too late now.

Mike
Yeah- I'm a first timer, and I agree with you and Scott about the square hole. The next time I'll definitely use a round hole. I'm not sure that it had anything to do with this failure as all of the cracking is south of the front wing mounting bolt. Also, when I made the square hole, I started by drilling a hole at each corner, so they do have a bit of radius. No cracks there yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on that.

Anybody know a good source for small amounts of glass and carbon cloth? My local hobbyshop is a glorified toy store and I'll be really surprised if they have anything like that.

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:49 AM
Jack's Kid
USA, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2006
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
Yeah- I'm a first timer, and I agree with you and Scott about the square hole. The next time I'll definitely use a round hole. I'm not sure that it had anything to do with this failure as all of the cracking is south of the front wing mounting bolt. Also, when I made the square hole, I started by drilling a hole at each corner, so they do have a bit of radius. No cracks there yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on that.

Anybody know a good source for small amounts of glass and carbon cloth? My local hobbyshop is a glorified toy store and I'll be really surprised if they have anything like that.

Rick
Email me - Ill send you some carbon tow which will help you fix this up nice........ I might have some FG around too - In fact Im sure of it.
-Scott
Scott Seidler is offline Find More Posts by Scott Seidler
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:34 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,867 Posts
2400RDR,

On the square hole issue, although you may have started with a drilled, round hole, what you have to consider is the straight cut that make up the sides of the square. At anytime the length of the sides exceed the radius of the rounded corner, you will have a situation where stress forces will concentrate at the area of least resistance...the corner! In looking at the photo, yes, the damage seems to start to the rear of the hole, but if you look closely, the damage is correctly in line with back corner of the box going to the opposite front corner. That is the direction of the twisting stress as the plane is launched. Think about it....you are discus throwing and the tail boom is not only bending away from you, but twisting with the vertical fin being not only large but being told to come around in a circle it doesn't want to follow. That's why they make them large, so that the plane comes out your hand going straight away. If you had left rudder into the launch, the boom would not try to twist away as hard, but then you might have a very short flight after the launch...maybe REAL short!

Again, the round hold will not allow a concentration of stress forces to accumulate into one specific area where it can cause damage. It doesn't mean a stronger thrower can't bust it. It just means the round hole can allow the fuselage to withstand greater stress before it fails.
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Aug 19, 2010, 02:37 PM
Space Cowboy
United States, CA, Vandenberg Air Force Base
Joined Jan 2007
1,123 Posts
Ok so for you guys looking at my "flutter problem"

So the D47's do have slop....

But I was able to eliminate 80% of the slop in the ailerons and now its minimal, I did this by just ensuring that the ailerons are 100% laminated to the bottom hinge and also making sure that the control horns are not just tight but crazy tight (i put CA in them and let them dry and broke them free..)

Well I think it worked, I took it out and the plane launched SILENT it was eerie!

It looked higher, so I took my Ram3 back home and sure enough CONSISTENT launches of 125-130feet no problem with some 140's

I was struggling for 120 before.

Not bad! trust me 20 feet matters
ShoGinn is offline Find More Posts by ShoGinn
Old Aug 19, 2010, 02:47 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,240 Posts
I had flutter issues on mine and thats using some rock solid Hyperion DSC-09's. I tried most everything I could think of, made sure there were no delams on the hinge, even faced the flaperons, hit the pinion of the servo with some thin CA so there was zero slop between it and the control horn, shimmed the servos in the pocket until they were tight as an elephant stuffed in a shoe box, still it buzzed on the way up. The only real fix I've found is I have now taped the tips of flaperons so that they no longer move. There is sufficient flex still in the flaperon to give me good control. It is less than it was but, its ok, this ship really excels in light lift where less control is more.
Wave Glider is online now Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wrong Skywalker
Old Aug 19, 2010, 02:47 PM
Abundantly deficient.......
Orange County, CA
Joined May 2004
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoGinn View Post

I did this by just ensuring that the ailerons are 100% laminated to the bottom hinge

Great news!

Exactly how did you do this?

M
CptMike is offline Find More Posts by CptMike
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:05 PM
Space Cowboy
Joined Jan 2007
1,123 Posts
find out where it looks like you got play, and then just put foam CA on the hinge...

then wait overnight to fully dry and move the hinge... CA cracks so it works perfect!

I was amazed though at the difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptMike View Post
Great news!

Exactly how did you do this?

M
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:39 PM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2003
179 Posts
WOOHOOOOO fixed up my TS1c at 7:30 so I got to fly for about half an hour before my tx started beeping (d'oh! i knew i should have charged it). Just getting things trimmed out. Mine is rudderless and I do miss the rudder during landing.....but other then that its all good, will play around with differentials tomorrow and see if I can grab a thermal (unless it rains...for once I hope the forecast is wrong)
7homuz is offline Find More Posts by 7homuz
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:15 PM
Space Cowboy
Joined Jan 2007
1,123 Posts
Just picked up a Airtronics SD-10G on the groups here, when it gets here looks like I get to re-program my glider lol.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:23 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
I always look forward to reading through the new posts on this thread, good to see I'm not the only one enjoying this plane.
When I consider the amount of fun I've had flying this DLG, I think it's excellent value for money.

Long ago I posted here that the next time I build a DLG, I would leave off the rudder, due to weight concerns and the fact that the rudder wasn't a particularly strong/effective flight control on this plane.
So I built my Viper without a rudder.
Well, now that I've been flying for many months without a rudder, I regret that decision. Now that I've advanced to the stage where I'm trying to stay in ever weaker thermals, having no rudder makes it much harder than it needs to be.
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:25 PM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2003
179 Posts
I have my eyes set on that tx as well, let us know how it compares to your DX7, thats what I'm using atm as well....I dont find much 'missing' on the DX7 yet since I'm fairly new at DLG, but I'm aiming to get the SD-10G before next summer(unless something amazing and good priced comes out before then!)
7homuz is offline Find More Posts by 7homuz