HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:27 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,196 Posts
Rishelman:

If you do top drive, use the inner-most hole on the servo arm. Cut off the rest of it. Make the control horn somewhere between 2 and 2.5 times longer than the servo horn. You'll get enough movement, and the servo will have some mechanical advantage.

For bottom drive, the same proportions will work, although many make the servo horn and control horn the same length. Your call.

For the rudder and elevator, I always made the servo horns and control horns roughly equal. The D-47 is no better at producing the advertized torque than any other servo, but I've never had one fail in an airplane (knock on wood, here).

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:12 AM
Knobbs
Friday Harbor, WA -San Juan Island
Joined Aug 2008
442 Posts
Right, but the ADVERTISED torque is 20 oz/in, and it's half the size and weight of most other servos that advertise that much. I was just impressed when I opened the box is all. I can see why they are so popular for DLG now. Would love to put them in a 3D foamy, but I'd be spending as much on servos as the rest of the kit and gear combined.

Rishelman
Rishelman is offline Find More Posts by Rishelman
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:02 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,478 Posts
I seriously doubt they deliver a real 20 in/oz.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:16 PM
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
171 Posts
I'm gonna start building this weekend!
I have 2x http://www.hobbyclub.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1176 Bluearrow D05010MG

And two Hitech HS45, which ones should I use for the elevator and rudder, and which ones for the alerons
barrosinc is offline Find More Posts by barrosinc
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:01 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,478 Posts
Put the HS 45 in the fuse. You may end up replacing the other servos
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:16 AM
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
Put the HS 45 in the fuse. You may end up replacing the other servos
aren't they any good? I thought they were excelente.
barrosinc is offline Find More Posts by barrosinc
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:13 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,478 Posts
I don't know. I have never used them. I have used many HS 45's and all worked great in my fuses.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:28 PM
"Get 'er Up"
Wichita, KS
Joined Nov 2008
103 Posts
I'm using four D-47's in my TS Disser. They're really not a bad DLG servo for the price. They have sufficient torque and centering for the average slinger, but as mentioned previously in this thread, they have a pretty weak drive train. I've had to replace two flaperons servos due to stripped gears - primarily because of botched hand catches in the wind. If I had to do it over, I'd put D60's in the wing. They don't fit quite as nicely as the D47's but they're much more durable. You can always buy replacement gear sets for the D47's, but it's a real hassle to have to remove and repair/replace those wing servos.
lktroiani is offline Find More Posts by lktroiani
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:09 PM
Knobbs
Joined Aug 2008
442 Posts
Just curious if any of you cut your FG control horns down for height, or installed as it came? At the point of installing my horns, and ailerons aren't very thick obviously. I also have the foam tails, about the same thickness (roughly). Just seems like even if I bottom the horn out on the other side of the control surface, they would be pretty tall. The directions just show them installed, and I don't remember seeing anybody's here in the thread that showed how they did it. I guess I could just copy what they look like installed in the directions, cutting to length (height) to match. Just looking for a little re-assurance.
Thanks guys.

Rishelman
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:33 PM
Knobbs
Joined Aug 2008
442 Posts
Just searched some old posts here, think I got a handle on it. Going to put the horns in dry, see how much sticks out. If I need to trim for the correct servo horn/control horn ratio, I will.
Building this DLG (my first) has been a little different than typical ARFs I'm used to. Seems they leave a little for you to figure out. Kinda fun, applying knowledge I've gained from building other stuff. Just don't want to screw it up, so, a little nerve-wracking as well at times. It just takes (for me anyway) a little shift in the way I approach or, look at, the build.

Rishelman
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:23 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishelman View Post
Just curious if any of you cut your FG control horns down for height, or installed as it came? At the point of installing my horns, and ailerons aren't very thick obviously. I also have the foam tails, about the same thickness (roughly). Just seems like even if I bottom the horn out on the other side of the control surface, they would be pretty tall. The directions just show them installed, and I don't remember seeing anybody's here in the thread that showed how they did it. I guess I could just copy what they look like installed in the directions, cutting to length (height) to match. Just looking for a little re-assurance.
Thanks guys.

Rishelman
Hello
Use "thread tools">"show all attachments" at the top of the page(under the page numbers). There are 3 pages of pic's. Easy to scan for whatever you want to see. I took a quick look, lots there. If you find what you want click on the picture then on the word "post" on the pic. takes you straight to the post to get more info.
Handy to know if you didn't already
Kerry
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:04 PM
Knobbs
Joined Aug 2008
442 Posts
I didn't know how to do that, no. Thanks. I knew how to search for written content, sure. But, didn't know you could for pics only. I'll try it right now.
Rishelman
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:56 PM
Knobbs
Joined Aug 2008
442 Posts
Learn something new every day. Awesome.
Rishelman
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:11 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishelman View Post
Learn something new every day. Awesome.
Rishelman

Glad it helps.
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:28 PM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,595 Posts
Here is an in depth walkthrough on how to fiberglass a wing. The plane i used is a topsky 3.
How to (in depth) Apply Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber patch to a Model Airplane. (11 min 32 sec)
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman