Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:20 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,637 Posts
Get yourself a baseball batters glove and cut off the thumb. Your fingers will thank you.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:47 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
495 Posts
I use a racketball glove. Works great to save your fingertips and they have a tacky surface that help your fingertips hold on to the blade nicely. Also they sell them as single gloves instead of pairs.
eosglider is online now Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys
Don't know if I made the wrong choice or not, but I picked up a golf glove last night and chopped the thumb off. Seems to feel OK holding the launch blade. I'll find out I guess.

Hmmmm, feeling the lower back today. Definitely need to learn the basics of the launch technique. I may try a vid.cam on a tripod to try to see whats going on as I felt completely uncoordinated during most launches. Overall, I was happy with my first time out, being new with no instruction. Now I hope I don't have to wait for spring for my next try, I hate the cold

Kerry
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Last edited by Helitime; Nov 18, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:24 PM
Chesty
Reedy Creek, Qld, Australia.
Joined May 2003
365 Posts
The RadioCarbonArt series of DVD's are good to watch for tips
ClimaxPilot is offline Find More Posts by ClimaxPilot
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:57 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Got in about 20 launches at lunch yesterday. Increased my best launch to 111' plus a couple at 110' Seemed pretty good for a newbie, starting to get the hang of it. However.
It seems that an inactive 58 year old should not make too many throws. I had a blast but today I can barely move. Right arm and sholder, back, both legs, it feels like I took a severe beating yesterday.

Kerry

Climaxpilot: Thanks for the tip on the vids.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:26 AM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Sep 2009
430 Posts
I've got you by a year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Got in about 20 launches at lunch yesterday. Increased my best launch to 111' plus a couple at 110' Seemed pretty good for a newbie, starting to get the hang of it. However.
It seems that an inactive 58 year old should not make too many throws. I had a blast but today I can barely move. Right arm and sholder, back, both legs, it feels like I took a severe beating yesterday.

Kerry

Climaxpilot: Thanks for the tip on the vids.
Kerry, I'm pretty out of shape and hope that getting into DLG will provide me with some fun incentive to get back into a little bit of shape. Haven't purchased my first DLG yet. Leaning towards the Blaster 2 or 3. Eliminates the wing joining assembly on my first DLG. Wish I could find somebody in my area that flys DLG but at least we have this forum!

I keep trying to tell myself I'm not 25, 30, 40, 50 anymore and have to start slowly with activities. Unfortunately my brain thinks I'm still a teenager!

Congratualtions on your flights and Happy Thanksgiving!

Curt (Crashmaster)
cgetman02 is online now Find More Posts by cgetman02
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:56 PM
Chesty
Joined May 2003
365 Posts
You'll still get a DLG up to 50 feet with a half arsed launch. Age is a bitch tho', I'm 42 and was challenged to a 50m sprint yesterday, got to the 30m mark and pulled up with a hamstring strain. No DLG throws for me for a week or so.

Bolt on a pair of Nikes and Just Do It !
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,339 Posts
Helitime:

Check out the thread for "Launch Videos - Comments Please"

If you're hurting, it's a high probability you're doing it wrong. I'm considerably older than you, and I can throw all day. The secret for me is to use my legs and body, not my arm. The arm is just a device to use geometry to increase speed. After all, it's the speed at release, not the force of the throw.

Again, check out the videos. It shouldn't hurt to throw discus-style.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:09 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Curt
Go for it, you will love it. I have only been out twice (about 30 throws), made myself sore as hell and I can't wait to do it again. My brain thinks I am still a teenager also, probably why I would go out and do 20 full power launches in about 40 min's. Do start slow, until your learn the how to's and why for's.
Thanks for the best wishes, same to you and everyone else here.

ClimaxPilot
Good attitude, "Just do it"

Greg
It's been a while since your last post here, I found this disappointing as I had noticed early on in this thread that your posts where usually informative and always supportive. Glad your back
I have the same problem when I start golf each year. It takes me several rounds (1/week) to get used to the muscles being used again. Having said that though, your point must be accurate (I'm doing it wrong) as evidenced by full effort throws only getting to 110'. I have started into the "launch videos" you recommended and will definitely finish the thread.
Thank you

And now the worst part. Winds here today are 30kph gusting much higher. Predicted temps are near 0*C and I don't deal well with cold. It may very well be months before I fly again

Thanks for the support guys.
Kerry
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:05 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Don't know if anyone wants to hear this or not but it might be good advice to readers considering DLG. START SLOW if you are getting on in years or are the inactive type like me. At least until you learn the launch technique. My 20 full on launches in 40 min's has left me with a very sore arm that is now bruised from armpit to wrist. Some interesting shades of purple and yellow
This is not to scare anyone away, you can be sure I will be out there first chance. Even if I have to baby the arm so I can work on the basics. To end on a positive note, my fingers are great after wearing a golf glove while throwing my arm off like a teenager.

Kerry
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:38 PM
Chesty
Joined May 2003
365 Posts
Imagine how sore and bruised you'd be if those launches were javelin instead of discus
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:58 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimaxPilot View Post
Imagine how sore and bruised you'd be if those launches were javelin instead of discus
I'd probably still be in hospital.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,339 Posts
Helitime:

Actually, starting slow is a bigger statement than you might think.

Try to start each, individual throw slowly, and accelerate past the release. Don't try to throw "hard" - it'll just hurt. A wise, old Special Forces guy once told me: "Want to go fast? Then work on smooth. And the only way to be smooth is to start slow."

Have you checked out the "Launch Videos" thread yet?

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:24 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
Helitime:

Actually, starting slow is a bigger statement than you might think.

Try to start each, individual throw slowly, and accelerate past the release. Don't try to throw "hard" - it'll just hurt. A wise, old Special Forces guy once told me: "Want to go fast? Then work on smooth. And the only way to be smooth is to start slow."

Have you checked out the "Launch Videos" thread yet?

Yours, Greg
Thanks Greg. Yes I have finnished the launch videos and I am staying up to date on that thread. Just wish I had some video myself so I could get some of the PRO instruction happening there.

Kerry
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:35 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
My apologies to Wayne from ALOFT hobbies. He sent me a free replacement servo and I forgot to send him a thank you.

Thanks Wayne, great service
Kerry