SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:14 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
A quick note about the supplied control tubes for the tail. RE: Nothing sticks to them ie:C/A, epoxy etc.
It has been mentioned that 2mm heat shrink can help but it does not stick to the teflon tube even with CA applied. I confirmed this but found that if I give the teflon a light sanding before adding the CA I cannot get the heat shrink to move. Many are purchasing etched tubes for about $20
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:15 PM
Lots of Air Play
United States, CT, Coventry
Joined Dec 2008
844 Posts
Topsky CG Location

Where are you folks setting your CG on the Topsky? I have my TS2 Disser around 68mm from the leading edge. Wondering if I should push it further back.

Dave in CT
thistle2311 is offline Find More Posts by thistle2311
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:55 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle2311 View Post
Where are you folks setting your CG on the Topsky? I have my TS2 Disser around 68mm from the leading edge. Wondering if I should push it further back.

Dave in CT
Hi Dave
Suggested CofG for my TS1 is 78>84mm, not sure if the Disser wing is the same but it should be close. Can't comment on where I like it as I just finished my build last night

Kerry
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:11 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Another one ready to fly

After weeks of slow building, my first DLG is ready to test fly. Many thanks to everyone here for the information I needed to complete this build. I can honestly say that without the info in this thread or linked from here I would not have finished with the same bird. I tend to make them strong and sturdy so I would have had a 20 oz DLG

Some details
AUW= 302g or about 10.65 oz
2s 300 mah lipo 17g, can be moved about 1.5" fore and aft (moves CofG from 78>82mm)
10g lead shot and epoxy in the nose
Max flaps is only 30 deg. (my first top drive) The ailerons are faced with bias ply F/G cloth and I have a patch of glass around the ail. horn. I read that top drive tends to cause delamination at the ail. horn and didn't want to go there.
I had mismatched C/F spars on the wings so I used the supplied C/F on top of the wing to try to hide this. I then used a heavier than supplied F/G cloth on the bottom of the wing. Hard points where installed along with the C/F tubes.
Boom was cut 2.5" and slotted for the fin. I could not get the C/F tow to stay in place so I used a 1/4" strip of C/F cloth and "clamped " it with stretch wrap to prevent the slot from growing.
Instructions say 644mm from wing TE to LE of fin, I am only 580mm
Everthing is set up on the TX as per info found here, all throws are per specs.

Some pics

Name: SANY0615.jpg
Views: 111
Size: 158.7 KB
Description: Almost ready.

Name: SANY0607.jpg
Views: 121
Size: 127.3 KB
Description: Ready for hard points.

Name: SANY0610.jpg
Views: 109
Size: 100.1 KB
Description: Hard points installed.

Name: SANY0613.jpg
Views: 85
Size: 68.8 KB
Description: 1 penny for lateral balance. Epoxy added later.

Name: SANY0617.jpg
Views: 132
Size: 187.2 KB
Description: Removeable horz. stab.

Name: SANY0620.jpg
Views: 109
Size: 131.0 KB
Description: Top drive with F/G reinforcement.

Name: SANY0622.jpg
Views: 93
Size: 83.7 KB
Description: Gap seals. Home made, 6ml polyester attached with 3M77 spray adhesive.

Name: SANY0623.jpg
Views: 97
Size: 226.6 KB
Description: Throwing peg.

Name: SANY0625.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 106.0 KB
Description: Completed tail.

Name: SANY0628.jpg
Views: 105
Size: 89.8 KB
Description: "HOWHIGH" installed ahead of the wing saddle.
Name: SANY0612.jpg
Views: 113
Size: 287.5 KB
Description: Sample of the heavier F/G cloth I used along with the supplied C/F.
Top battery is 350mah, 34g and almost fits.
I will use the smaller 300mah at 17g and room to slide.Held in position and adjusted with 2 small blocks of foam.
Last edited by Helitime; Nov 07, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:09 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Topsky CG Location

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Hi Dave
Suggested CofG for my TS1 is 78>84mm, not sure if the Disser wing is the same but it should be close. Can't comment on where I like it as I just finished my build last night

Kerry
I have since read 75>80mm and the HK file lists it at 70>80mm
I need to sort this out before I test fly.

EDIT: Topsoaring web site says 78>84mm
Last edited by Helitime; Nov 08, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:10 PM
you are not paying attention
christchurch New Zealand
Joined Oct 2008
66 Posts
I have the viper and am settling at around the 79 / 80 point wich is working nicely, too far forward is easy to fly and set up but makes the model poor at indicating lift, too far back and i spend all my time recovering from stalls. It takes quite some time and calm days to get it all set up to your liking.
flying1 is offline Find More Posts by flying1
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:23 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
One of my NEW DSM44 servos has the jitters.
I noticed that when I apply very slight pressure on the aileron the servo jitters like mad.
Don't know if it could be fixed or not but not this one,as I willl have to grind it to dust to get it out.

Kerry
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
One of my NEW DSM44 servos has the jitters.
I noticed that when I apply very slight pressure on the aileron the servo jitters like mad.
Don't know if it could be fixed or not but not this one,as I willl have to grind it to dust to get it out.

Kerry
Kerry,

I had one do the same thing to me recently. Shoot me an email and I'll send you a replacement. Sorry for the trouble!!

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:31 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Kerry,

I had one do the same thing to me recently. Shoot me an email and I'll send you a replacement. Sorry for the trouble!!

-Wayne
Email sent. Thanks for the offer but I don't think I will have anything to return

Nice to know your on top of these threads and ready to help though.

Kerry
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:46 AM
Chesty
Reedy Creek, Qld, Australia.
Joined May 2003
373 Posts
Quote:
After weeks of slow building, my first DLG is ready to test fly. Many thanks to everyone here for the information I needed to complete this build. I can honestly say that without the info in this thread or linked from here I would not have finished with the same bird. I tend to make them strong and sturdy so I would have had a 20 oz DLG

Some details
AUW= 302g or about 10.65 oz
2s 300 mah lipo 17g, can be moved about 1.5" fore and aft (moves CofG from 78>82mm)
10g lead shot and epoxy in the nose
Max flaps is only 30 deg. (my first top drive) The ailerons are faced with bias ply F/G cloth and I have a patch of glass around the ail. horn. I read that top drive tends to cause delamination at the ail. horn and didn't want to go there.
I had mismatched C/F spars on the wings so I used the supplied C/F on top of the wing to try to hide this. I then used a heavier than supplied F/G cloth on the bottom of the wing. Hard points where installed along with the C/F tubes.
Boom was cut 2.5" and slotted for the fin. I could not get the C/F tow to stay in place so I used a 1/4" strip of C/F cloth and "clamped " it with stretch wrap to prevent the slot from growing.
Instructions say 644mm from wing TE to LE of fin, I am only 580mm
Everthing is set up on the TX as per info found here, all throws are per specs.
Is this the Versus from HK ?

EDIT : Sorry, just looked further back to where you started posting and noticed you'd ordered from HK, so it is a Versus.

I'd say that the Versus is actually made by Topsky, they are way to similar
ClimaxPilot is offline Find More Posts by ClimaxPilot
Last edited by ClimaxPilot; Nov 14, 2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:44 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimaxPilot View Post
Is this the Versus from HK ?

EDIT : Sorry, just looked further back to where you started posting and noticed you'd ordered from HK, so it is a Versus.

I'd say that the Versus is actually made by Topsky, they are way to similar
You are correct sir. The Versus is a Topsky"1". Lots of good info here.

Kerry
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:18 AM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
A guy who has both DLGs side by side offered his comparison here in the Versus thread. HK Versus came up on top, seems they make it a bit better.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=162
ddruck is online now Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:15 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Wow. Good service from Aloft Hobbies, Wayne is sending me a replacement servo no charge. I didn't even contact him to complain, he saw my post here about the jittering servo and is replacing it.

Thanks Wayne

Kerry
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:04 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
You got lucky.. I happen to check the Top Sky thread from time to time.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:41 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Maiden Flight(s)

Finally got a chance to give it a try. This is my first DLG and my first launches.
Started with a couple javelin throws to check trims. After some small adjustments it was time to have a go at discus launches. I started with a couple 3/4 turn stationary throws which were almost vertical and not high enough to register on the "Howhigh". As I was throwing so high, I stopped using the launch preset (up ele.) and finally got a reading 47' Next toss was 62', then 90' The balance of the readings where 83',75' and 90' again.
It would have been very obvious to anyone watching that I didn't know what I was doing. Mixed in with the above "readings" were several vertical "loop" throws as well as one that came out of my hand early while I was thinking about my feet it was near horizontal but straight through the top of some 8' trees. The branches slowed it right down and turned it straight up at about 20' and it just missed the ground pulling full up ele. after the stall.
The wind picked up to about 10 kph so I packed it up as I didn't have a lot of room in a small school yard. Hope to get it out to the club before we freeze over.

In summary
I NEED A LOT OF PRACTICE !!!!
I had a blast!!!!!!!!!
I got sore finger tips.
Kerry