HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Received my "How High + See How"
After reading the instructions several times I think I am missing something. At one point in the instructions it mentions performing "the finger wave". Sounds like you can initiate the report somehow instead of cycling the power, but I can't seem to make anything happen.
Anyone know anything about this???

THX: Kerry

PS: The boom is cut (2.5"), the fin is mounted and the removable horz. stab and the support are ready. Wing servos are in place and the ailerons are faced with bias. cut glass. Now off to buy some foam safe CA.
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:11 AM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Herning, Denmark
Joined Dec 2002
634 Posts
Simple.

Just wave your finger in front of the infrared eye. Two or three times will do.
Then itīll start flashing.

First series of flashes is the higest number then a pause and the lowest number. Say your hight is 61m, itīll flash 6 times then a pause and one 1 flash.

If youīve ordered a feet-thingie itīll have three series of flashes divided by two pauses.... (1 flash, pause, 8 flashes, pause and 3 flashes = 183 feets)

Hope it helps a bit...

Ruben
RubSon is offline Find More Posts by RubSon
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:01 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubSon View Post
Simple.

Just wave your finger in front of the infrared eye. Two or three times will do.
Then itīll start flashing.

First series of flashes is the higest number then a pause and the lowest number. Say your hight is 61m, itīll flash 6 times then a pause and one 1 flash.

If youīve ordered a feet-thingie itīll have three series of flashes divided by two pauses.... (1 flash, pause, 8 flashes, pause and 3 flashes = 183 feets)

Hope it helps a bit...

Ruben
Hi Ruben Thanks for the response.
This is what I was trying, but it just keeps flashing the single "ready" flash.
ie: Power up>>altitude report eg:1068 feet then single flashing"ready" then finger wave and nothing changes. Perhaps this function has been removed? It would be very useful.

On another note. I have several sizes of music wire I can use on the top drive ailerons ( 0.8mm, 1.2mm, 1.4mm) I have read that many are using the heavier wire, but I don't think I can get the second bend accurate enough with the wire IN the wing. I am using wire only with no adjustment. The 0.8mm would be workable and SEEMS stiff enough to me.
Comments???

Thanks
Kerry

EDIT: Managed to get it done with the 1.2mm wire
Plenty stiff.
Last edited by Helitime; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:25 AM. Reason: update
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:56 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,048 Posts
I too could never get my How High to display the numbers without disconnecting it and then reconnecting it.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:21 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
I too could never get my How High to display the numbers without disconnecting it and then reconnecting it.
Sent an Email to the seller to see if he could inform us about this
Kerry
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:51 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Kerry
Their reply

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for the email.

Our current product, the How High RT, no longer supports the "finger wave" technique for activating the output report. Instead, you simply cycle the power off and back on. Of course, it will also work with the optional See How display unit without cycling power.

The original How High (discontinued in Feb. 2011) used the finger wave to activate the blinking display. I always thought that it was pretty cool, but most customers found it more frustrating than useful. Anyway, in order to provide additional features (like real-time output and faster sampling), the old finger wave fell by the wayside.

Thanks again,
Dave West
Winged Shadow Systems

dwest@wingedshadow.com
www.wingedshadow.com
630-837-6553

That is a shame, if I cycle the power off for less than a few minutes the receiver sees it as a signal loss and flashes instead of binding properly and showing a steady on. Don't know if that is an issue or not.??
Last edited by Helitime; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:00 AM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
681 Posts
You guys are talking about HowHigh by itself or with the SeeHow pluged in?
With HowHigh you have to cycle power, at least on mine from Winged Shadow. The arm waving was for the SeeHow right? I remember when that came out it was less then reliable from the reviews I read at the time.

I received the DSM44 servos from Aloft Hobbies, quick shipping, looking good, tiny and strong, will test centering and put the 2 best in the build.

Quote:
Kerry
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Last edited by ddruck; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:07 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
You guys are talking about HowHigh by itself or with the SeeHow pluged in?
With HowHigh you have to cycle power, at least on mine from Winged Shadow. The arm waving was for the SeeHow right? I remember when that came out it was less then reliable from the reviews I read at the time.

I received the DSM44 servos from Aloft Hobbies, quick shipping, looking good, tiny and strong, will test centering and put the 2 best in the build.
The old "how high" could be made to report by waving a finger over the flashing LED. The newer units do not have this function so you have to cycle power or use the "see how" unit.

Kerry
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:55 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
681 Posts
Quote:
The old "how high" could be made to report by waving a finger over the flashing LED. The newer units do not have this function so you have to cycle power or use the "see how" unit.

Kerry
My HowHigh is around 2 years old and instructions that came with it, said nothing about waving, so it must be quite a while ago since they had it.
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:54 PM
It's a mere flesh wound!
Woodstock,Ga.
Joined Jun 2004
1,139 Posts
My HowHigh works fine with a finger wave and I don't have a SeeHow. It's a few years old and I've never had to cycle power to make it work.

Buddy
Buddy Roos is offline Find More Posts by Buddy Roos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:36 AM
born again slope junkie
warrnambool vic australia
Joined Sep 2009
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Check 'em out and see what you think. If you don't like them, send them back. We are pretty easy going around here..

-Wayne
got the package , sweet little servo's , positive, quiet, etc all looks good,
in process of fitting now , ,, pitty i didnt look at rest of you site before i placed order , (ah well next time)

dave
dingb is online now Find More Posts by dingb
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:08 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
I have the DSM44 servos installed on ailerons, glued in yesterday. Last night while trying to set up 2deg. cruise and 4deg. float camber I found I have about 2deg. of gear slop in the (new out of the box) servos. This is measured at the T E of the aileron. Now I'm concerned about flutter.
I have set them up so that the required setting is at the top of the slop in the hope that the increased air pressure under the wing will hold them up. The rest of the system is nice and tight after following instructions found in this thread for top drive.

Kerry
Last edited by Helitime; Oct 27, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:47 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
Quote:
I have the DSM44 servos installed on ailerons, glued in yesterday. Last night while trying to set up 2deg. cruise and 4deg. float camber I found I have about 2deg. of gear slop in the (new out of the box) servos. This is measured at the T E of the aileron. Now I'm concerned about flutter.
I have set them up so that the required setting is at the top of the slop in the hope that the increased air pressure under the wing will hold them up. The rest of the system is nice and tight after following instructions found in this thread for top drive.

Kerry
I'm sorry to hear this, but I think you would have noticed 2 degrees of slop in the gears.

2 degrees of slop at the aileron when doing a top drive, that I can understand. Top drives are tricky to get right, and require very good geometry and slop free EVERYTHING. No slope in your linkages, no movement of your horns, etc. It all gets amplified in a top drive. A small amount of gear slop will be multiplied in a "short" top drive, especially if you use a short horn, and are top hinged on the surface. Top driving is best when you are bottom hinged, it gives you a much taller horn, and the ability to reduce slop in the system.

I hope this helps..

We will be carrying a plastic gear version of this servo soon. It should be slop free, but also has lower torque, but it weighs less too.

-Wayne

p.s. I attempted to top drive my Topsky. I had everything installed, but not glued, using an Eurgle servo. I could not get rid of the slop in the system, and was not happy with the overall quality of what I had built. I ended up selling the plane to a friend as it was. I think he upgraded to the DSM44 servo and kept the topdrive. He reported back that he loves the plane. For the TopSky, I think you are better off going with the simple and reliable bottom drive the plane is designed for.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:52 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
"2 degrees of slop at the aileron when doing a top drive, that I can understand. Top drives are tricky to get right, and require very good geometry and slop free EVERYTHING. No slope in your linkages, no movement of your horns, etc. It all gets amplified in a top drive. A small amount of gear slop will be multiplied in a "short" top drive, especially if you use a short horn, and are top hinged on the surface. Top driving is best when you are bottom hinged, it gives you a much taller horn, and the ability to reduce slop in the system."
Hi Wayne
As you know the Topsky 1 is bottom hinged. The rest of the system is very tight after following instructions here, or linked from here. The linkages are stiff wire with no adjustment. The horns were drilled with a piece of the control wire, very tight. I built a jig "copied from here" to hot wire the channels. The aileron horn is very tight and reinforced with a patch of F/G cloth to prevent delamination. Overall I am very happy with the result of my first topdrive. The only play in the system is at the servo, either gears or bushing/bearing.

Having said all that, I did read on the product page to expect some slop in any metal gear servo. I was warned.
Also, as you mentioned, if the horns are short any movement will be amplified. My horns are short at 4.5mm at the servo and 6.5mm at the aileron!

I am not here to put down your product when it hasn't even left the bench. And I have no idea what 2mm play will do to a DLG, perhaps very little due to the slow speeds.

Kerry
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:20 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
Thanks Kerry.. Sounds like you did good! 2mm is a lot better than 2 degrees, but with that said, I'm like you and prefer to have no slop, or as close as possible.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!