SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,589 Posts
Zero:

Here's another trick that has worked for me: I cut a half-inch diameter hole in the wing tip (yipes!), then fill it with a 1/4 inch thick circle cut from the end of a dowel rod. I sand that to the wing profile (it's easy, with a Dremel and a drum sander - more slow but not difficult by hand).

Slot the dowel for the blade, then cover with a patch of glass or carbon cloth. Epoxy the blade into the slot.

Do consider this: it's possible to launch really, really strong, and not pull the blade out. Be sure you are moving really smooth on launch, keep your arm out straight (and avoid at all costs the tendency to bend your elbow).

Final word: don't be discouraged, fixing things is part of the necessary skill set.

Good luck!

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:52 AM
What goes up, must come down..
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
Zero:

Here's another trick that has worked for me: I cut a half-inch diameter hole in the wing tip (yipes!), then fill it with a 1/4 inch thick circle cut from the end of a dowel rod. I sand that to the wing profile (it's easy, with a Dremel and a drum sander - more slow but not difficult by hand).

Slot the dowel for the blade, then cover with a patch of glass or carbon cloth. Epoxy the blade into the slot.

Do consider this: it's possible to launch really, really strong, and not pull the blade out. Be sure you are moving really smooth on launch, keep your arm out straight (and avoid at all costs the tendency to bend your elbow).

Final word: don't be discouraged, fixing things is part of the necessary skill set.

Good luck!

Yours, Greg
Did the epoxy hard point (3cm instead of 5cm). Added 3 grams to that wing, which I balanced with another 3g on the other side... Total of 7g of lead on that tip . Feels very solid, but we'll see if it holds...

Jay
ZeroPitch is offline Find More Posts by ZeroPitch
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,589 Posts
Jay:

There are no statistics, but I would bet that a leading cause of pulling out blades is throwing technique. I have not seen you throw, of course, but I've made my own share of mistakes.

One thing a beginner often does is pull in just before release, mostly because the sensation as he crooks his arm (or, as I crooked my arm - remember, I've made the mistakes myself) feels like more effort, which rationally translates in the mind as more launch.

But not so. A person pulling like that is extracting energy from the airplane, often by pulling out the blade.

Make real sure you are keeping your arm straight, all the way past release. Do it slow to build muscle memory. Keep practicing slow, and about half hour in, you'll suddenly realize that airplane is going pretty far. And, the blade will stay firmly and safely attached.

Yours, Greg
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
Jay:

There are no statistics, but I would bet that a leading cause of pulling out blades is throwing technique. I have not seen you throw, of course, but I've made my own share of mistakes.

One thing a beginner often does is pull in just before release, mostly because the sensation as he crooks his arm (or, as I crooked my arm - remember, I've made the mistakes myself) feels like more effort, which rationally translates in the mind as more launch.

But not so. A person pulling like that is extracting energy from the airplane, often by pulling out the blade.

Make real sure you are keeping your arm straight, all the way past release. Do it slow to build muscle memory. Keep practicing slow, and about half hour in, you'll suddenly realize that airplane is going pretty far. And, the blade will stay firmly and safely attached.

Yours, Greg
Thanks for the advice... I'm pretty sure that's what I did as about 1/2 way thru release I "goosed it" for an extra hard throw, could feel a great deal of additional pressure, and that's when the blade went out.

Well... now that I know the blade and wing are not indestructible... I'll start working on being smooth rather than "fast", lol.

Jay
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
The hard point seemed to hold up pretty good today. Took some vid if you don't mind critiquing my style (once I post it up). Lift was a bit blown out and kept hitting sink from the hills around my flying spot, but still managed a 12 minute flight
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,589 Posts
Zero:

Any time. That's why we're here. I'll be waiting for the video (as will be others).

Yours, Greg
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Just weighed my TS1 at the LHS, and the build came out at 311g (slightly under 11 oz).
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Launch Style

Ok, finally got around to editing down my launches from earlier this week... please lemme know if I'm doing anything terribly wrong and where to improve... Thanks!

DLG Launch Style (2012-06-03) (6 min 5 sec)
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:51 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,348 Posts
The only two things I see...

1) You have the glove on the "wrong" hand - I launch lefty and I get a funny feeling when I sit and watch throw after throw by a righty. Dyslexic-vertigo?

2) You are falling away from the center of your rotation at release. Keep the momentum under control and you will put that energy into the plane, rather than allowing power to leak off to the side with your stumble.

Looking and sounding pretty good. I am no expert, and it has been a long time since I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:29 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,094 Posts
I noticed the same. You need to keep your whole body traveling in the direction of throw, especially the upper body. The follow through needs the upper body to rotate into the throw. If you play golf you know how easy it is to rotate the shoulders and have the club weight and momentum tilt you away from the ball instead of powering through and down on the ball.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
The only two things I see...

1) You have the glove on the "wrong" hand - I launch lefty and I get a funny feeling when I sit and watch throw after throw by a righty. Dyslexic-vertigo?

Quote:
2) You are falling away from the center of your rotation at release. Keep the momentum under control and you will put that energy into the plane, rather than allowing power to leak off to the side with your stumble.
Yah, I can see that. A local guy, jcats (Jun), has a video breaking down his launch style and he says to plant both feet at release... doesn't feel natural and not sure how to get there, but I'll try and work on that...

Quote:
Looking and sounding pretty good. I am no expert, and it has been a long time since I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express
Holiday Inn Express? Not getting the reference....
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:29 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,348 Posts
TV commercial where a totally unqaulified person steps in to solve a crisis.. tag line of "No, I'm not a XXXX (Nuclear Containment Expert) - but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
TV commercial where a totally unqaulified person steps in to solve a crisis.. tag line of "No, I'm not a XXXX (Nuclear Containment Expert) - but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...
Ahhhhh... Lol!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:42 AM
"Get 'er Up"
Wichita, KS
Joined Nov 2008
104 Posts
Fragile Tail

I've been flying my new TS Disser on a regular basis now for about six weeks. I'm really impressed with the build quality, handling & performance. Thermals really well.

I've had a disappointing issue with the seemingly overly delicate sub-tail & rudder. I fly at a local school ground and have experienced excessive wear of the lower Kevlar-covered leading edge of the lower sub-tail along with some buckling of the foam. I hand catch as much as possible (25-50% of the time) and haven't really encountered any really traumatic landings. Anyone else having a problem like this?

I've successfully repaired the sub-tail LE with a replacement balsa piece with an implanted carbon rod on the outer edge. The foam buckle was repaired with some unidirectional and mat carbon.

I think this is a great DLG for the price. A real value.
lktroiani is offline Find More Posts by lktroiani
Last edited by lktroiani; Jun 10, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:51 AM
Lots of Air Play
United States, CT, Coventry
Joined Dec 2008
844 Posts
I have not had issues with the tail from Topsky. Actually I am pretty impressed with the tail construction and detail, esp for the price. Well worth the dollars for a spare tailset. I ordered a spare set because eventually these fins will get damaged, usually the lower vertical from landing cross-breeze on windy day. My experience is that buckling is commonly caused by the vertical getting hit by the ground from the side. That will fold many a sub-fin.

I do not handcatch much. I prefer to land on the ground (generally grassy areas with no stones), and I make a point of trying to get the plane facing directly into any breeze on landing. I will even put the nose down into the ground with the plane still carrying a bit of velocity so that the subtail does not do the work of stopping the plane or taking the first hit. This voids tail drag which can damage the subfin. Hand catching is great if you always get the nose, but if you miss, the first thing that gets damaged is the tailset as the entire weight of the plane falls down out of you hand onto those tender feathers. Don't ask me how I know!

Dave in CT
thistle2311 is offline Find More Posts by thistle2311