to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 10:32 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
Get some lead tape from a golf shop and use it to experiment with CG and lateral balance.
I used some lead tape to lateral balance my TS2, it works well and it's easy to remove if you decide to change your mind. I did it mainly because I could see a slight bias in aileron trim to offset the throwing peg, and it can't be good for drag.
I also lateral balance all my models, especially the aerobatics, where it's quite noticeable in flight.
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old May 26, 2012, 03:08 PM
What goes up, must come down..
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Another Throwing Blade Question++

ALMOST done with my TopSky 1.0 build!

Now just need to install the throwing blade. Used some cardboard to find a "comfortable" spot that clears the webbing between my fingers. This ended up about 10mm from the tip and the front of the blade is 55mm from the trailing edge.

Is this too close to the edge? Should I move it further in? It would need to go back a bit more so it still clears my fingers.

EDIT: that's 10mm from edge, back of blade 40mm from TE. Found another spot at 16mm from edge, 35mm from TE but that just looks too far back to be secure.

Also, do I need to support the tip in any way? I'm all out of CF except for a few thin strips of weave and loose tow. If I need to reinforce somehow, would it be bad to use fiberglass? (have nice wide strip of that left).

Somewhat disrelated, the blueprint shows the ailerons throwing 15* UP and 20* DOWN, with 45* down for brake. That sounds like it could be backwards. So is the blueprint correct? Or should I have more UP throw than DOWN? I cut the control rods a few mm too short, but this ended up giving me the perfect amount of mechanical diferential to match the above, and don't want to mess with it if it will be fine.

Final disrelated question: I've installed a FlySky 6ch receiver, but after cutting the tail something like 2cm, I needed to mount it behind the servo tray to get everything to balance 84mm behind the leading edge (the battery is mounted with velcro tape so I can move it around and adjust if necessary). Forgot about the carbon runners in the fuse and placed the fat dipole antenna basically inside, under the wing. Don't think I can get the Rx out without cutting the servo tray. Think I'll be OK? Or is this gonna be a problem...

Thanks!

Jay
ZeroPitch is offline Find More Posts by ZeroPitch
Last edited by ZeroPitch; May 26, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,527 Posts
ZeroPitch:

For myself, I would move the blade inboard a bit. It there is interference, trim the trailing edge of the tip - the wing will never miss it. And yes, fiberglass is perfectly fine for reinforcing, and I'd do that, too. One layer, top and bottom.

The throws are OK - some folks advocate what's known as "negative differential". I prefer equal up and down, but it's no big deal. Use the transmitter settings, that's what they are for. You will find that 45 degrees down is a LOT, and will really bring the ship home on a steep, slow flightpath. You will need lots of compensating elevator to keep things steady.

And finally, the receiver. You can leave it like it is, and do a range check, but you can also eliminate any doubt whatsoever, and run the antenna out a hole in the bottom of the fuselage. Not all of it, just that last inch or so is all that's needed. Many folks do it that way.

Good luck! I hope there is some one near by that can help you out.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old May 26, 2012, 06:00 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
From the Fact you are using a Flysky Rx are you using 9x if so are you using alternative Firmware..... ? (im flashing mine With Open9x....)
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old May 26, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith459 View Post
From the Fact you are using a Flysky Rx are you using 9x if so are you using alternative Firmware..... ? (im flashing mine With Open9x....)
Yup, sure am! Open9x rocks

Here's a bunch of mixes I did for 6ch and 4ch gliders. The 4ch v-tail is working very, very well in my slope ship. Can't wait to try the conventional tail variation in the TS1. Has all the bells and whistles: 5 flight modes including launch, camber changing on different sliders for each, and lots more:
http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=820
If you try one out, lemme know what you think...
Old May 26, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
ZeroPitch:

For myself, I would move the blade inboard a bit. It there is interference, trim the trailing edge of the tip - the wing will never miss it. And yes, fiberglass is perfectly fine for reinforcing, and I'd do that, too. One layer, top and bottom.

The throws are OK - some folks advocate what's known as "negative differential". I prefer equal up and down, but it's no big deal. Use the transmitter settings, that's what they are for. You will find that 45 degrees down is a LOT, and will really bring the ship home on a steep, slow flightpath. You will need lots of compensating elevator to keep things steady.

And finally, the receiver. You can leave it like it is, and do a range check, but you can also eliminate any doubt whatsoever, and run the antenna out a hole in the bottom of the fuselage. Not all of it, just that last inch or so is all that's needed. Many folks do it that way.

Good luck! I hope there is some one near by that can help you out.

Yours, Greg
I usually fly equal throws too, but I've been a slope and nitro guy up to now.

Nice to know about the flaps... I'll dial in a bunch more flaps-elevator comp to start with. My Chandelle needs about 5% (or less), so I'll pump that up to 15% and go from there.

As long as I'm reinforcing, I guess moving the blade back shouldn't be a problem. I'll do 20mm strip surrounding the mount point and take it up to the front of the CF spar at a 45* angle.

Will certainly do a range check. Looks like the antenna stays in the clear even if I rotate the fuse upside down, but if there's any trouble, I'll drill a hole and fish it out as you suggest.

Thanks for the tips!

Jay
Old May 26, 2012, 07:06 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
im gonna fit my TS2 With Power HD DSM-44's
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old May 28, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
TS 1.0 Finished!

Well, put the maiden flight on my TopSky 1.0 today!

First time with a DLG and managed to spec out... I like it.

Then tossed for almost another hour trying to catch a second thermal, lawn darted on a landing, and put a 1" crack in the fuse. Yes, I know better, lol. Repairs in progress...

Went mildly conservative on the blade and put it 15mm in and 32mm from TE.

CG was perfect for normal flight modes... Rx is behind the servo tray and battery moved almost back to the tray. Dives straight with no tuck. No clue how I made the tail so light... Cut the boom 2cm, made the stab mount short as possible, used epoxy sparingly. Too bad I don't have a scale... Would love to know the all up weight.

Lawn darted because of dumb thumbs and touchy elevator at full flaps. Gonna move CG forward just a hair.

Finally, had 4g of golf lead tape on the right wing to balance things up, but it flew off in a launch. After retrimming, noticed the plane does a slow roll to the left on launch. Need to figure out how to get that tape to stick... maybe dig out a slot and glue inside the exposed foam by the aileron.

All in all, a great day flyin'!!!

Jay
Old May 28, 2012, 10:28 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,146 Posts
Looks good. I'm still a few days away. My tail feathers aren't as pretty or light, but they're done lol.
Belem is online now Find More Posts by Belem
Old May 28, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,527 Posts
Jay:

Well done!

I should warn you: this could become a habit that just won't go away.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old May 29, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Jay:

Well done!

I should warn you: this could become a habit that just won't go away.

Yours, Greg
Thanks

lol... I think it's already too late for a warning... Have a scratch built 2m slope ship, a fleet of helis, and just ordered my first slope wing for combat this morning in celebration of finishing the TS1! I see another DLG in my future, though... today was a blast!

Jay
Old May 29, 2012, 09:48 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPitch View Post

Finally, had 4g of golf lead tape on the right wing to balance things up, but it flew off in a launch.
Jay
The lead tape I used is a 3M brand. The backing adhesive is very good, no sign of coming off (3M™ Lead Foil Tape 421 Dark Silver).
Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old May 29, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
The lead tape I used is a 3M brand. The backing adhesive is very good, no sign of coming off (3M™ Lead Foil Tape 421 Dark Silver).
Martin
I'll give that a try when the next one flies off, lol...
Old May 31, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
ZeroPitch:

Hey Greg:

Well, did the installation on Monday per the picture below, but after several dozen launches managed to bust it this morning. Was giving it a particularaly hard throw, and must have pulled one finger a lot more than the other and it just broke loose, breaking off a few mm of CF from the wing.

So, guess I'll melt out a 5cm oval in the foam with a 25mm bend in some wire, cover with clear tape, poke a few holes around the slot on both sides (to let air escape), fill it up with 30 minute epoxy, cut some slots in the tape, push the blade back in, and wait for the forever glue to set. Hopefully that'll hold a bit better without adding too much weight...

Pulled the blade out and chucked it by hand at lunch today, caught a thermal, and had a nice 10+ minute flight... made me feel a bit better, lol...