HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:14 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
I got the Topsky 1. Any tips on making the horizontal stab removable?
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:22 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,046 Posts
I'm getting consistant with my launches now. Over the weekend I got 146', 153' and 156'. The TS 2 Supper is holding up well and so far no flutter.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,527 Posts
stickybeatz:

It's not designed for that, part of the easy-for-beginners aspect.

Other people market tail mounts, including ASK (www.RCBuilder.com) and occasionally Oleg (www.olgol.com). They come with the appropriate, nylon bolts and are already threaded. Scuff up the TopSky boom, and they glue right on. You will save weight and reduce drag, for a price of around $25 or so. I recommend either the carbon or stainless steel push rods from ASK as well, as a glueable substitute for the standard issue TopSky push rods.

You can also lay a layer of lite plywood on the TopSky mount, and thread it for what ever bolt you have. Drill the holes, cut the threads, then hit the threads with thin CA. Once it sets, cut the threads a second time. Many do this or something similar.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:21 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
stickybeatz:

It's not designed for that, part of the easy-for-beginners aspect.

Other people market tail mounts, including ASK (www.RCBuilder.com) and occasionally Oleg (www.olgol.com). They come with the appropriate, nylon bolts and are already threaded. Scuff up the TopSky boom, and they glue right on. You will save weight and reduce drag, for a price of around $25 or so. I recommend either the carbon or stainless steel push rods from ASK as well, as a glueable substitute for the standard issue TopSky push rods.

You can also lay a layer of lite plywood on the TopSky mount, and thread it for what ever bolt you have. Drill the holes, cut the threads, then hit the threads with thin CA. Once it sets, cut the threads a second time. Many do this or something similar.

Yours, Greg
Thanks, Greg!
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:27 PM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,687 Posts
Make sure to post a picture of the removable stab, i would like to see that
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:38 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,046 Posts
The stock build has a removable stab.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:41 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Got everything done except for setting up the linkages and the throwing peg. It is probably the ugliest build I have ever done, but hopefully it will fly alright
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:44 AM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,687 Posts
Nice plane stickybeatz
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:46 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,205 Posts
Wow that was quick!
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:18 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,425 Posts
Looks like you have the poor thing in an interrogation room! LOL
Looks good from here.

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:47 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
220 Posts
Looks good there Sticky. When we gonna take it out to get it trimmed?
silentwarrior is offline Find More Posts by silentwarrior
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:55 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm gonna set up linkages and the throwing peg tonight. I've gotta take Myles to Karate class on Thursday but I'll probably bring it with me to work and start trimming it out on my lunch break or something. Did you fix your pod yet, Silent? I've got some extra glass and finishing resin if you need it.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:02 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
220 Posts
Yea it's repaired, not the way Donnie wanted me to do it but it worked I mixed up some epoxy, put on my plastic glove, and dabbed a little on my fingertip, and rubbed a thin layer on the inside and outside. stiffened it up good with the 1st aplication but put a 2nd layer on just to be on the safe side. Flies nice again Took it out last night for a few out at Coyote Basin, couldnt' find any lift tho. I figured out that the pod coming loose was what was causing my glider to loop and roll in that termal on Sunday. Since it was behind the elevator servo, the rocking of the pod made the push rod move.... note to self, don't try to fly a broken pod'd dlg :P
silentwarrior is offline Find More Posts by silentwarrior
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:47 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,146 Posts
My TS 1.0 showed up in the mail yesterday. Beautiful, and intimidating as I've not built anything other than a few foam park fliers.

I'm currently reading thru the entire thread, but I'm only on page 75 so far. Few quick questions so I can order some stuff while I continue reading.

Are the D47s still the favorite servo for this build?
Lipo or Nicd? Sizes?
If I go lipo and D47 do I need a voltage regulator?
Current preferred epoxy? And do I need more than one type?

Thanks for any and all help.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:10 PM
Australia, NSW, Meadowbank
Joined Nov 2010
194 Posts
D47 servos do not need a regulator when running on 2S, however check that your receiver can handle it!

I used Hyperion 240 cells in series as I had some lying around from an Eflite SBach I fly.

Laminating epoxy is the preferred choice, I've used 30 min regular epoxy for a complete dlg in the past but it is quite a lot thicker so it does't soak as nice and isn't as easy to work with compared to laminating epoxy.
ecenshu is offline Find More Posts by ecenshu