Old May 03, 2011, 03:10 PM
Jack's Kid
USA, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2006
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monhty View Post
Hi

just got a TS1 and I'm positively impressed by the quality of the different parts

I've read a couple of times the building instructions of both the TS1 and TS2 and most of this thread but still got some doubts:

- the masking tape you use for the aileron servos is paper tape?

- have seen many posts regarding the etching of the teflon tubes. Does the heatshriking tubes not work right to fix them to the fuse?

- My bagged balsa tail feathers have bare balsa in their leading and trailing edges (the fiberglass doesnt cover them). So they look pretty exposed to hard landings. what must be done with those edges?

- what side do hinges in stabiliser and rudder must be positioned?

thanks in advance for your help

Monhty
Monhty,
Yes paper tape is all you need - though you can use even electrical tape. You just need it to wrap the servos so you can cut the wraps in the future to make it easier to remove them if you should need to.
Heat shrink tubing DOES fix the issue quite well - but it adds some weight.
Where did you get your TS1 as they all have completely bagged tailfeathers..... Either way I would at least put some clear tape over the leading edge of the lower end of the vertical so it doesnt get all chewed up.
On your last question - your vertical and horizontal should be pre-hinged - again Im wondering where you got this from?
-Scott
Scott Seidler is offline Find More Posts by Scott Seidler
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2011, 03:22 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
538 Posts
The earlier TS1 kits didn't have bagged tail feathers...Mine sure didn't.

Ken
Yablonsky is offline Find More Posts by Yablonsky
Old May 03, 2011, 03:31 PM
Espaņa, PM, Palma
Joined Jan 2009
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Seidler View Post
Monhty,
Yes paper tape is all you need - though you can use even electrical tape. You just need it to wrap the servos so you can cut the wraps in the future to make it easier to remove them if you should need to.
Heat shrink tubing DOES fix the issue quite well - but it adds some weight.
Where did you get your TS1 as they all have completely bagged tailfeathers..... Either way I would at least put some clear tape over the leading edge of the lower end of the vertical so it doesnt get all chewed up.
On your last question - your vertical and horizontal should be pre-hinged - again Im wondering where you got this from?
-Scott
Hi

the fiberglass only covers the upper and bottom surfaces of both feathers leaving the edges exposed to dents. What about CA some carbon around them?

They are already hinged. My questions is what side should the hinge bevels be positioned: up/down in the stabiliser and left/right in the rudder (Im right-handed if this might have any influence

Its a present but think they got it from a UK retailer

Thanks

Monhty
Monhty is offline Find More Posts by Monhty
Old May 03, 2011, 05:34 PM
Jack's Kid
USA, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2006
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yablonsky View Post
The earlier TS1 kits didn't have bagged tail feathers...Mine sure didn't.

Ken
Nope but in that case they came with some super light stick on covering which was the cover and the hinge.... Thats what the Mini topskys have now.
-S
Scott Seidler is offline Find More Posts by Scott Seidler
Old May 04, 2011, 01:25 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,200 Posts
I have a question about my launches and launch technique. This is probably due to some flaw in my technique but it might be a setup problem.

The issue Im having is that on a majority of my launches, the plane wants to roll left as it climbs (almost into a knife edge attitude) and it tends to arc over to the left as well - but not always. Maybe 80-90% of the time it does the left roll thing.

I know this has to be costing me launch height to some degree, so Id like to correct it if possible.

I was having some problems with my rudder linkage initially - I put the horn on the wrong side. So maybe that was causing/allowing some excess yaw.

I ended up dialing in extra right aileron and rudder trim which helped - but I dont like haveing extra trim in that I dont need for level flight.

Any ideas?

I'll be flying with newly replaced/better linkage setup soon so I'll get to see if thats a factor or not.
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old May 04, 2011, 02:04 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,418 Posts
Well I have no business telling anyone how to launch but I will try to help anyway
Sounds like you are pulling it. Try to time the release sooner. Sounds like you are just holding it too long and all the english in your throw is translating into the flight path. Also do you use a Rudder preset with your launch? That will help also.
I know with a lot of practice I just about have straight launches now, I even have taken out the rudder preset.

My inflation drained 2 cents
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old May 04, 2011, 02:11 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,920 Posts
My TS hooks like a CHAMP!!!! I can throw my Blaster 3 straight as an arrow to 200', but the TS ALWAYS hooks left at a pretty good clip. Makes a turn and burn easier though............

I suspect it is the rudder placement as on my Blaster 3, George Morris told me to do the rudder in a different location from instructions to prevent just this thing. All I know is on my Blaster I dont hook at all, and on the TS I always hook.

But here is the thing. The TS still launches pretty danged good and flies so danged well that I dont care.

If I was not so lazy I would put rudder trim in on the launch preset but dont want to mess with it. One thought was to use up one of my flight modes so that one of the positions was launch and it would have a touch of ailerons and rudder. Then 2nd position would be cruise, and 3rd would be thermal.

Launch preset would still just do elevator only.

Does that make any sense????
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old May 04, 2011, 08:06 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,200 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys!

I finished up the new RCBuilder cable install and took it out today for a few tosses.

It was better from the first launch, so Im guessing some of my problem was my shoddy cable install.

Then I added some rudder offset on the launch pre-set and that pretty much fixed it!

I also suspect I was/am adding some English in the throw. Im not the worlds best thrower by a long shot. before today I was averaging about 100' with 120+ as my best ever.

Today, I managed to get several over 125 ft and one almost 150ft!

Im going to credit some of that to the new linkage setup and some to the rudder offset but a good bit of it goes to using my Open Altimeter.

Being able to get an instant reading of launch height as soon as you land with just the flick of a switch on the tx is a big help in working on technique. Then when I get home and download the graphs, I can easily see where Im screwing up on my push over.

The push over is my biggest challenge at the moment. Timing that just right is taking some practice thats for sure!
Old May 04, 2011, 08:20 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,413 Posts
MrE:

Mighty fine! Mighty fine indeed!

We'll be looking for you to show up at some contests, soon.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old May 04, 2011, 08:42 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,200 Posts
Im planning on doing exactly that Greg! I may not throw very hi, but I can still have fun
Old May 07, 2011, 11:40 AM
Edmonton, Alberta.
Joined Apr 2010
54 Posts
Hi Guys, Just wondering how you all have been keeping your battery and receivers from moving inside the fuse? Do you just pack it tight with foam or do you use velcro or glue? Thanks.
thermalchaser is offline Find More Posts by thermalchaser
Old May 07, 2011, 12:57 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,200 Posts
My rx ended up behind the servos almost under the wing. I used velcro to hold it to the side of the fuse.

Lipo battery and altimeter are up front. Its a tight fit but I use a small piece of foam between the battery/altimeter and the servo tray to keep them gently squeezed as far forward as possible. I have another small piece of foam taped in the nose holding the nose weight in place - 2 nickles - for now.
Old May 07, 2011, 03:30 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,413 Posts
Good ways to keep things still: velcro, glue, foam, wadded-up tissue, all that extra wire (which should have been trimmed off), double-stick tape (the thick, foam kind), zip ties. That's all I can think of, I'll bet there's others.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old May 07, 2011, 06:25 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,920 Posts
I use EPP scraps from combat wings. Just compress a little and when it expands it holds things tight...
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old May 07, 2011, 08:17 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
336 Posts
Servo question. I have 2 HS45BB servos. Will these work for the aileron on the TS2 Super?
They are thin enough to fit behind the spar and have 13.88 in oz of torque @ 4.8 volt. Anyone using these?
Thanks,
Dave
DBSkyout is offline Find More Posts by DBSkyout