Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:59 PM
Jack's Kid
USA, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2006
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalchaser View Post
Thanks for the advice guys, I was nervous about using the carbon on the bottom because it is quite thick and I thought it may mess up the mating surface beetween the wing and fusealage. Not the case? I was also thinking of using fiberglass on the bottom and carbon on the top. Any ideas on that? Thanks again.
At a minimum I would used large carbon patches on both the top and bottom and once smoothed out cover with the fiberglass. If you have enough carbon to cover completely go for it. As long as its smooth it wont effect the mating on the fuse.
Just my .02
-S
Scott Seidler is offline Find More Posts by Scott Seidler
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:27 PM
United States, SC, Little River
Joined May 2002
56 Posts
The Viper 2 is stronger than I imagined. I am finally getting mine trimmed to fly really well when disaster struck! After a couple of 6 and 7 minute flights at the local schoolyard, my rudder and servo tray loosened and she dove in from about 75 feet. She hit the asphalt parking lot. When I got to her the r/c gear was working and I blamed it on the Rx. Today I decided to get a close look and found the loose servo tray. I pieced the pod back together with thin and medium CA and then put strips of CF on the inside. I coated the low areas with epoxy and wet sanded with 320 and 400 paper. From 3 feet away you cannot see anything wrong. I am amazed there was anything left after it hit. Love this plane!!!!
NYCrcPILOT is online now Find More Posts by NYCrcPILOT
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:43 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,357 Posts
NYCrcPILOT:

Now you're really learning! Repair is half the game. Well done!

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:12 PM
You glass em; I'll bash em!
USA, FL, Panama City
Joined Jul 2010
160 Posts
Hi John,

Sorry to bust in on this thread, but couldn't help notice your: "Question for you on that: Is your transmitter subject to the update/recall? This is vitally important for us to know. Disastrous results can be expected (ask me how I know)". I have an SD-10 that "is" subject to the recall. However, the manufacturer stated that it is a "minor" problem that causes a "momentary" fluctuation or some such thing when many 2.4G users are in a given area, such as at a competition. I haven't sent my TX in for a fix yet as I use it daily and mostly fly alone. If you don't mind, what exactly are you alluding to concerning the recall? And if it's that serious, why don't they send a replacement TX and have one return the defective one? Stupid question I'm sure....

Thanks,
mike
rifme is offline Find More Posts by rifme
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:09 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifme View Post
Hi John,

Sorry to bust in on this thread, but couldn't help notice your: "Question for you on that: Is your transmitter subject to the update/recall? This is vitally important for us to know. Disastrous results can be expected (ask me how I know)". I have an SD-10 that "is" subject to the recall. However, the manufacturer stated that it is a "minor" problem that causes a "momentary" fluctuation or some such thing when many 2.4G users are in a given area, such as at a competition. I haven't sent my TX in for a fix yet as I use it daily and mostly fly alone. If you don't mind, what exactly are you alluding to concerning the recall? And if it's that serious, why don't they send a replacement TX and have one return the defective one? Stupid question I'm sure....

Thanks,
mike
PM'd reply.
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:40 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Nov 2006
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrcPILOT View Post
The Viper 2 is stronger than I imagined. I am amazed there was anything left after it hit. Love this plane!!!!
NYCrcPILOT,

I just snagged a TopSky 2 Viper on blowout from Scott @ themonstr.com, and upon inspection I believe your testament of the Vipers durability. The TopSky 2.0 Super is also of the same construction - kewl, just what the doctor ordered! These bargain DLGs appear to take the punishment of a beginner. Great, now I won't be as timid toward launch practice. Oh, thanx for the tip, I'll be sure to really secure the servo tray
FD Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FD Pilot
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:19 PM
United States, SC, Little River
Joined May 2002
56 Posts
Nice stable of aircraft FD. I especially like the Vyper. I flew a 54" 3DHS YAK 54 and the 41" Extra which I still enjoy. Take a look at my mods on p. 104 or 105. I have found the pod mounted D47s and removable tail to be very durable. Pod mount also makes it easy to reach 9.0 ozs. The carbon rods are the way to go for a light quick reliable pushrod setup.
NYCrcPILOT is online now Find More Posts by NYCrcPILOT
Old May 02, 2011, 05:41 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
How do I remove the pod from the boom?

My TS1 had an unplanned landing recently - shot down on 72MHz. The pod broke fairly cleanly at the boom joint, leaving the spigot end of the pod inside the boom. I've got a replacement pod, but can anyone offer advice on how to get the old pod end out of the boom? It was epoxied in, so the only thing I can think of is a soak in hot water and long nose pliers. I suspect the boom will fail before the glue joint gives way if I try that though.
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old May 02, 2011, 07:01 PM
Joined May 2005
113 Posts
wing hard point advice

team,

having the hardest time getting my hard point holes to end up in the right positions...anyone have advice on some tricks? i ended up having to widen them out embarrassingly wide and correct with epoxy. also sanding carbon leaves so much carbon dust that gets into everything

thanks,

mike
pitoniakmike is offline Find More Posts by pitoniakmike
Old May 02, 2011, 10:22 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,872 Posts
If you are on the fence about getting the TS because you want to save up for a better ship. Stop, buy the TS NOW!!!!!!! Thats an order. She is an incredible ship for a more incredible price. I have a B3 D-box and that is a mean ship but I still flew the TS for 1.5 hours tonight and did not regret a second of it.

So there you have it, quit lurking around on this thread thinking maybe you will get into DLG at some point.

Here is the order page,
http://www.themonstr.com/Topsky-1-TS1.htm
go ahead, CLICK IT, you'll like it.....
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old May 02, 2011, 10:23 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,872 Posts
Are you still thinking about ordering!!!!!

SMACK!!!!!!!!!

Order NOW!!!!! She is such a great flyer!!!!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old May 02, 2011, 10:32 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,053 Posts
I ordered the Stainless push rod set from RCBuilder and am in the process of installing them now.

These are very nice! Its sooo much easier being able to glue the teflon tubes down with just a dab of ca. Im very pleased.

http://www.rcbuilder.com/Merchant2/m...egory_Code=ACC

I'll post back when Im done and flown it. Im expecting some improvements at least. if nothing else, this time they are going in straighter and the rudder horn will be on the correct side
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old May 03, 2011, 08:23 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,357 Posts
MrE:

There you go! ASK's stuff is very nice.

I've had to replace various control rods at various times for various reasons. Both Oleg's (carbon in teflon) and ASK's (stainless steel in teflon) are very nice indeed.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old May 03, 2011, 09:47 AM
Impatience is a virtue
Denver, Colorado
Joined Nov 2008
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycruiser View Post
My TS1 had an unplanned landing recently - shot down on 72MHz. The pod broke fairly cleanly at the boom joint, leaving the spigot end of the pod inside the boom. I've got a replacement pod, but can anyone offer advice on how to get the old pod end out of the boom? It was epoxied in, so the only thing I can think of is a soak in hot water and long nose pliers. I suspect the boom will fail before the glue joint gives way if I try that though.
Use a heat gun to slowly and gently warm the boom inside and out. This should warm the epoxy enough so that you can pull out the remnants of the pod with some needle nose pliers. Worked for me after a similar "landing".
Good luck
MCH27t is offline Find More Posts by MCH27t
Old May 03, 2011, 02:33 PM
Espaņa, PM, Palma
Joined Jan 2009
114 Posts
Hi

just got a TS1 and I'm positively impressed by the quality of the different parts

I've read a couple of times the building instructions of both the TS1 and TS2 and most of this thread but still got some doubts:

- the masking tape you use for the aileron servos is paper tape?

- have seen many posts regarding the etching of the teflon tubes. Does the heatshriking tubes not work right to fix them to the fuse?

- My bagged balsa tail feathers have bare balsa in their leading and trailing edges (the fiberglass doesnt cover them). So they look pretty exposed to hard landings. what must be done with those edges?

- what side do hinges in stabiliser and rudder must be positioned?

thanks in advance for your help

Monhty
Monhty is offline Find More Posts by Monhty
Last edited by Monhty; May 03, 2011 at 02:55 PM.