HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:31 PM
Want to Fly, Have to Work
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
Oh, I see. The D-Box just refers to the way the carbon wraps around on the outside of the foam core. The D comes from the shape of the cross section. Understand now, thanks.

Well, we have winters but they are summers nevertheless compared to the winters in your neck of the woods
BeerBatter is offline Find More Posts by BeerBatter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:11 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBatter View Post
Oh, I see. The D-Box just refers to the way the carbon wraps around on the outside of the foam core. The D comes from the shape of the cross section. Understand now, thanks.

Well, we have winters but they are summers nevertheless compared to the winters in your neck of the woods
The CF cloth/ Kevlar is put on the foam wing core with a thin mylar on top/bottom of wing and this is put in a vacuum bag to cure the epoxy . If it's a bagged wing, and I think it is.

The foam will take on some water not much,
but it will dry out fairly quickly. You can give it over night to be sure.

walt

PS

Oh! The mylar is removed after the wings are removed from the bag.
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Last edited by ROOSWH; Sep 28, 2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 06:49 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
OK. Thanks Walt.

- Noel
Old Sep 28, 2010, 06:59 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
Sometimes the lift is up higher than you can throw. That's why I always take my motor glider with me. 500 foot launches no problem. All the bases are covered.

It seems that DLG folks tend to be perfectionists and think that there's only one way to do it. Don't flame me- I'm a DLG guy myself, and there's nothing better than tossing a glider from the ground and riding lift to the blue. Sometimes it's just not in the cards, and an alternate method is good to have.

I rode my EZGP to 1415 feet the other day and it was transcendental. The DLG was in the car, but the lift just wasn't there at 130 feet, or I wasn't skilled enough to use it- whatever.

Just saying that gliding is gliding no matter how you get there if you know what I mean.

Rick
I just bought a Radian from the classifieds And I have a TS2.0 on my work bench. Build is going slow, but its being done right. Life is good But I think the kids will be getting candy for xmas

Matt M
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:00 PM
Joined May 2005
113 Posts
horizontal stab height above boom

the build guide does not specify how far above the boom the horizontal stab should be mounted...does this matter that much? or is sufficient height for elevator deflection all that is needed.

also, the plans call for a diamond of cf on the elevator, yet the V2 balsa stabs offered from topsky just have strips like the rudder...tilting towards going that route...comments?

many thanks,

mike
pitoniakmike is offline Find More Posts by pitoniakmike
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:11 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
Mike, I have the TS2 with the carbon wrapped foam pedestal, but I measured mine anyways and my stab is 22mm from the center of the boom to the center of the leading edge of the stab. I don't think its that critical as long as you get enough elevator deflection. Don't know about the elevator question.

- Noel
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:06 AM
Joined May 2005
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBatter View Post
Mike, I have the TS2 with the carbon wrapped foam pedestal, but I measured mine anyways and my stab is 22mm from the center of the boom to the center of the leading edge of the stab. I don't think its that critical as long as you get enough elevator deflection. Don't know about the elevator question.

- Noel
many thanks noel....much appreciated
pitoniakmike is offline Find More Posts by pitoniakmike
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:09 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,156 Posts
i'll echo Noel and say the horizontal stab is ok so long there is enough deflection.

I wouldn't worry about the cf diamond on the elev, it is strong enough without it. You should still glass the elev to the pylon though (assuming you don't need it removable). If you make it removable I would just soak where the screw goes through in CA
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:02 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,156 Posts
So i've replaced the servos and went out flying 3 times since then....still a lot of re-trimming that needs to be done, everything's off after I replaced the servos. Hopefully I'll get it trimmed back to what I had it before on saturday.

Got in a bit of flying before class today, threw right into a thermal right on the first launch, sweet bounced around several thermals that were close together and got a 10 min flight in before the thermals were too deep into the trees (after which I bailed hahaha)

Had another 'boring' flight until I found some lift 15~20 feet up, and focussed rreeeaaallllyyy hard to keep my turns smooth (my turns needs a lot of working on!!) and managed to ride that one up and spec out, another 10 or so minute flight before it was too deep.

Got back out to the field after class, nowhere near as exciting, very dead air and I thought it was quite sinky as well.....

After being annoyed the hell out of by some punks flying EDF planes right by the major road (which they're not supposed to...they're not part of our club - which is a sailplane club- they're not allowed there by the city....flying too close to major road......disturbing wildlife...etcetcetc @#$!%@$) I decided to just go, its not relaxing having to hear that blazing EDF zooming around.

I notice that my fingers were hurting today by the end of the session even though I'm still wearing gloves....maybe i'm throwing harder now

Hopefully I'll get a video together on saturday
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:00 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,156 Posts
awfully quiet on here lately, had 45 mins of flying today. managed to crash it during the 'last flight', my eyes wandered for a second and next thing I know it was coming straight down...the setting sun was right behind it so everything was black, couldn't orientate myself quick enough to recover...oops :P stuck right into the ground, 1.5"~ deep...stuck TIGHT! I was expecting a lot of damage but only a little bit of delam on the wing. I'll just relaminate it and either glass it or put some bias carbon overtop... phew! and I thought I'm done with crashing
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2010, 07:10 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
awfully quiet on here lately, had 45 mins of flying today. managed to crash it during the 'last flight', my eyes wandered for a second and next thing I know it was coming straight down...the setting sun was right behind it so everything was black, couldn't orientate myself quick enough to recover...oops :P stuck right into the ground, 1.5"~ deep...stuck TIGHT! I was expecting a lot of damage but only a little bit of delam on the wing. I'll just relaminate it and either glass it or put some bias carbon overtop... phew! and I thought I'm done with crashing
Ouch! That's a heck of a way to end a good flying sesion But just learn you are never done crashing, then the next time you crash it wont be a surprise

I have my Viper on the bench. Its going slowly but its hard to find 15 minutes to run into the garage anymore. I installed a top drive system and have a nice set of tail feathers from pyrsly I need to get on. Its going to be a full flying stab set up. While I was at it I cut the old tails off my TS1.5 and am installing my new set from the Viper kit. So basically both DLG's are down and out for the moment.
On the bright side I got a first flight with my new/used Radian last night. What a hoot that was

Matt M
Old Oct 03, 2010, 12:47 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,156 Posts
Looks like you will have 2 wicked planes soon though! Seba's tails are looking gorgeous, please remember to share how they fly when you finish building it

Another GREAT flying day today, took a short vid. Had a couple flights that brought my plane up until it was the size of a penny, I was preeeetty nervous when I lost sight of it coming back! The profile just blends right into the clouds!

I compiled a vid of today's flying, comments on my launch technique? I don't think I'm spinning fast enough. Any finer details such as weight shift/etc I have no idea about, so I can't even comment on that myself

Any estimate of my launch height as well? Crudely measuring from a printscreen, I think I'm between 115 and 120'.... still haven't gotten a Ram3 yet

TopSky 2 Viper - Oct 2, 2010 (7 min 39 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ThomasLee; Oct 03, 2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 10:39 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
Nice vid! Looked like a perfect day for flying.
Your launch looks good to me. The only thing I see is you could release a tad sooner maybe. That will keep it from hooking so much. But take that with a grain of salt because I'm still learning the finer points of launching myself.

Matt M
Old Oct 04, 2010, 06:27 AM
United States, SC, Little River
Joined May 2002
56 Posts
Viper 2

Just got mine last week and have not worked on it yet. I have 4 D47 servos and a 2 cell 240 LiPo { 12gms}, and a 3 grm regulator in the mail.

Has anyone put the aileron servos on the fuse? I have the kevlar/carbon pod and it appears strong enough to support the D47 servos. Can this pod support 2.4 without the wiskers sticking out? I figure the fuse mounted servos will move some weight toward the front and keep those pretty wings very clean.

I have been flying one of Tom Siler's '09 rudderless Zone Clones. It was pretty beat up but I have restored it to good condition. Bought a histart from HobbyKing for $3.50 and tried it Saturday in heavy wind. My 65 year old arm just wasn't doing the job. Guys at the field estimated the Zone was doing close to 100mph on release and was straight as an arrow. Wind blew me out of the sky but what a rush on launch.
NYCrcPILOT is offline Find More Posts by NYCrcPILOT
Old Oct 04, 2010, 08:56 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,156 Posts
Hi NYCrcPILOT,
The kevlar/carbon pod needs the 2.4 whiskers to stick out. It is not 2.4 ghz compatible.
I haven't seen anyone trying 4 in the pod before for the TS2, but I think if you are using D47 servos there is more than enough space. Its good since you will be using less nose weight and all the mass is along the center, but a top-driven aileron system will provide less drag (only bringing that up since you mentioned clean wing).
RCG Plus Member