SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2009, 05:49 PM
Buzzbomb
Springville, Utah
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
Help!
Hitec receiver 6s on bat/ch. 6 No throttle on ESC

I am new at this RC hobby. I had some questions about a Hitec 6s Neutron reciever I am using. It says Bat/ch6 This is where I hooked the ESC. The throttle does not work; and my Futaba radio says that the throttle is on ch. 3 This leaves me in a pickle because when I flip the servo 2-pos switch labeled ch6 I get quite a surprise when the motor starts. I almost ended up wearing the plane.

So how do I hook the ESC throttle up to ch3? Can I just move the plug from bat. ch. 6 to ch 3 Will this harm the receiver?
bruceweight is offline Find More Posts by bruceweight
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2009, 05:59 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Yes, Move the ESC connecter to the throttle channel 3. No this will not harm the receiver.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Oct 04, 2009, 07:44 PM
Buzzbomb
Springville, Utah
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
Esc on channel 3

Thanks a lot. that worked well. Now if I can find the proper instructions for the ESC-30a controller I got from Hong Kong I will be in good shape. Since I did not have the throttle right I could not tell what was happening except a lot of beeps and songs coming out of the thing.

How do you determine what the timing is. My motor does run and sound ok but I am most concerned about the cell count and the battery voltage cut off point. I will have to experiment with it after I get the batteries topped off. I have only dared run it for a few seconds or so.
bruceweight is offline Find More Posts by bruceweight
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:45 AM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceweight
Thanks a lot. that worked well. Now if I can find the proper instructions for the ESC-30a controller I got from Hong Kong I will be in good shape. Since I did not have the throttle right I could not tell what was happening except a lot of beeps and songs coming out of the thing.

How do you determine what the timing is. My motor does run and sound ok but I am most concerned about the cell count and the battery voltage cut off point. I will have to experiment with it after I get the batteries topped off. I have only dared run it for a few seconds or so.
This is a better question for the electric power forums here on RCGroups - but most of that is automatically taken care of by most ESCs nowadays when you first turn them on they sense the voltage and determine the number of cells, etc.
mcsarge is offline Find More Posts by mcsarge
Old Oct 05, 2009, 03:51 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceweight
Refer to
ESC - How to Set up for First Time by By Tony Ohm of Hitec RCD.
RC Groups > Aircraft - Electric - General- Power Systems for Q & A regarding ESC and EP Motors. Note: always advise the actual Brand and Model number of the subject ESC or Motor as there are many many differences. Whereas some expensive models auto detect battery voltage, they cannot tell the difference between battery type and auto reset cutoff. Majority of brushless ESC , especially cheap ex Hong Kong, are now supplied with default being 3S Lipol, Brake on, Hard Start and not all can be amended by TX control. Many ESC now require a separate "programming card" or USB cable and PC program to adjust settings.
[FWIW a number of identical units are sold by different outlets in USA under sellers own brand label and sometimes a different colour heatshrink, with widely differing prices thus one card or cable can be used for several "brands" otherwise they are proprietary]

Further Information available under sub Sections:
"Electronic Speed Control (ESC) , DIY ESC Circuits, Mixers & Reverser. " and
"Electric Motors - Break in ,Tuning, Calc and DIY Brushless. " at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Oct 05, 2009 at 03:56 PM.