HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2009, 05:46 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Söderberg
................................., russian helis arent famous for their shiny look

Cheers
Jack

You are spot on about this Jack. Hind's flying in Russian livery always seem to have a bit of the FarmAll tractor look to them. Gives them personality in my mind. US Army Apaches don't shine either. Once deployed they take on the used look, especially in terrain like Afghanistan and Iraq have to offer.
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:37 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2002
862 Posts
Yep Jack,

Semi scale only, the retracts are especially difficult to mimic the full size, you could use a gear door sequencer to get it working right on the gear doors, but it seems a liitle too much for a 600 sized heli ( in my personal opinion). Hmm, maybe on the 800 ?
wilerbee is offline Find More Posts by wilerbee
Old Oct 21, 2009, 01:38 PM
Master of turbine fire
Germany, land of inventors
Joined Mar 2005
208 Posts
Actually I already have plans to program a microcontroller as door sequencer and probably make the gear electric instead of air. I'd like the doors to operate correctly. I am also working on some special items for the cockpit.
sycorax is offline Find More Posts by sycorax
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:30 AM
Master of turbine fire
Joined Mar 2005
208 Posts
Inspired by this project , I will try to build my own scale landing gear for the 600 size Hind. This guy did it for a T-Rex 250 size using brass tubes, springs etc. .. so it should be possible to do the same for the 600 size.

This probably will delay the build a little bit. On the other side I think it's worth the efford. Maybe Kin wants to produce such a scale retract mechanism some day ?

Rivets, Decals, Weathering, original retracts .. and who knows, maybe a real turbine some day ( I know somebody developing a small shaft turbine ) - that's the goal.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:25 AM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Absolutely amazing. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Danke - Boyd
Old Oct 27, 2009, 03:58 PM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
813 Posts
Today I got the good news from Kin that the fuse is on the way, also have
in a slow manner starting to convert the Rex 600 mechanics to go "scale"
the Scorpion motor and the RCA head is mounted, the 5 bladed head look so god mounted, really gone get a low and scalish profile once inside the fuse compared to the flybar head, hope SM gone release the 600 scaleblade soon.

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:13 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Great looking mechanics Jack. Thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 02:07 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
813 Posts
Recived min Hind from smartmodels finally and the building has started, unfortunally I dont have the time to made a complete buildthread but gone post some words and pics along the building for those who are interested.
First imp is good when opening the box, everything seems well packed and whats hit me when opened is the huge amount of parts for this model, negative side is that the painted canopy is made out of thin lexan plastic and mine had a crack in it, nothing major that cant be fix, gone reinforce it from inside with epoxy and model GF sheets, also ordered the scale tailgearbox but it was unfortunally forgoten to put in the package, have notified Kin about this and he said he will send me a new canopy and tailgearbox ASAP due the building has started= good service I think, have told him that he dont have to bother about the canopy due im fixing it by myself but the tailgerabox is needed of course, for now I have began to assemble the bulkheads, everything fits in smothly without anything to remarkable, the painting is high class and fortunally survived the long journey fro Asia.

Cheers
Jack
Old Nov 13, 2009, 02:44 AM
Master of turbine fire
Joined Mar 2005
208 Posts
Hi Jack,
Nice .. and have fun building the bird. I bet yours will be airborne faster than mine, since I'll put rivets on and paint it myself. Oh well .. it's winter time - building time.

I am waiting for missing parts also, but service is very good so I am sure I'll receive them before I need them during building.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 02:05 PM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycorax View Post
Hi Jack,
Nice .. and have fun building the bird. I bet yours will be airborne faster than mine, since I'll put rivets on and paint it myself. Oh well .. it's winter time - building time.

I am waiting for missing parts also, but service is very good so I am sure I'll receive them before I need them during building.
Thanks Sycorax, yes the building is fun as the parts go together well, hope Kin has posted the missing parts

Well the progress goes one, the bulks are in place and glued, also took the oppurtunity to reinforce them with GF sheets, one tricky part was to align the front part of the fuse that are holding the canopy, it cant be glued due it has to be removable because theres have to be space when sliding the bom+mechanic in place, as usual before glueing pay attention to dry fit parts and align them correctly before fixing them permanently, next up is to install the retracts, must say that these retracts are the cutest one I seen, hope they work equaly well, one of the pics shows a part of the parts that comes with the kit, Smartmodel should really pay attention to release a full manual that are showing where to use which screw, as for now the builder has to guess.

Cheers
Jack
Old Nov 13, 2009, 03:48 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Great thread Jack. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers - Boyd
Old Nov 14, 2009, 01:54 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
813 Posts
You Welcome Boyd, and all others ...moore to come!

cheers
Jack
Old Nov 14, 2009, 02:08 AM
USA, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jun 2007
332 Posts
Thanks for posting your progress. I will follow it with great inerest. Are you planning on turning the 5 blades with a stock Align motor?
Heirmeistr is offline Find More Posts by Heirmeistr
Old Nov 14, 2009, 02:24 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heirmeistr View Post
Thanks for posting your progress. I will follow it with great inerest. Are you planning on turning the 5 blades with a stock Align motor?
No, I have the scorpion Kv 630,also changed the pinion to a 15 teeth, did a calculation on HS

29.6Vx630=18648/11.33=1645xeff 0.9 1481 Rpm

Hope this should be fine, purhased the pinion and motor from Fung at
Flying Hobby

Cheers
jack
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:12 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
813 Posts
Hello guys

as the building goes on I today Noticed something I didnt like and that
are going to require major mods to the trex mech, I have the 5 bladed rca head and when i fitted the mech to the fuse I saw that rotorhead are way up to far for a scalish appearence, a two bladed would be even higher, looking on pics on Smartmodels site I doubt thats a trex mech that are fitted when they testflying it, judging to those pictures maybe a logo or swift??
For now the mech gone require a major mod that includes to cut of the bottom of the carbon mainframes to get mech fit lower and get a good looking
scale, I dont doubt it would be flyable as it it but would look so non scale
and would please the eye in the same way, maybe the guys on SM should consider to include the lower mainframes sides as for the UH 1B?
Im gone post some pics in the nearby so you can compare the original height
with the moded one and judge for you self.

Cheers
Jack