SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2010, 12:30 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,129 Posts
Did you find that you needed a bigger motor for that many blades or just different gearing ???
Looking good so far ... good luck ,, love that Hind
v22chap is online now Find More Posts by v22chap
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:41 PM
Joined Aug 2008
97 Posts
I knew I was going to need some extra power for this system. I went with a Scorpion HK-4025 630kv and a 9 tooth pinion on 10S. I am governing the rotation at 1600 rpms. If my calculations are close I should get 8-10 minutes of flight depending on the final weight. I was planning on around 9 pounds at the heaviest. So far it does fly, but I have had some issues. Namely, I get some tracking and and vibration issues with some cyclic inputs. I am still adjusting a few things. I think it may have been slightly unbalanced blades. Which is a pain in the butt with 5 blades. I re-balanced and double checked tracking, but have not been able to test fly it since I made the adjustments as the weather has not permitted in the last week. I just want to feel comfortable with the mechanics before I start to put together the fuse. Between work and summer activities it has been hard to devote a ton of time to this project. It'll get there though.
Fishrider is offline Find More Posts by Fishrider
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:46 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
You’re on the right track for sure Fishrider. Get all the kinks worked out at the pod & boom stage and it will make the transition to installing the wrapper a lot less stressful. I have, on occasion, installed the mechanics in the primed fuselage before all the super detailing begins and flown the bird again just as insurance.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
IRCHA 3355
Major USAF
Retired
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:45 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,603 Posts
Subscribed
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Sep 18, 2010, 03:55 PM
Joined Aug 2008
97 Posts
Build Pics

I had planned to fit the mechanics before starting work on the fuse details, but some set backs changed my plan. My Skookum 720 broke and I had to send that back. Also, my head had an issue, and I will not get a new head until the end of September. So I started work on the rear landing gear.

The original back doors supplied with the model are not big enough to fit the gear properly. So I carved out a bit more, and placed the doors closer to what I think is scale. I had to make new back doors. I placed tin foil over the openings and laid up the fiber glass in place. I used 2 layers of medium cloth with a polyester resin. It really is easy to work with, and if you mess up make another. I used one of the supplied wells as a form to make the wheel well that is attached to the doors, and then placed them where I wanted and fused them together with another coat of resin.

When complete the back landing gear will be a fully autonomous unit. I will be able to take it out to fix issues or make modifications.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:01 PM
Joined Aug 2008
97 Posts
Retracts

I finally got some time to work on this project. Here is a short video of the the rear retracts.

Hind Retracts 1.wmv (0 min 39 sec)

I have to apologize to Kin and Willis as I was supposed to have an installation of the Swift 16 mechs by now. I have just had no time to work on my hobbies lately.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:27 PM
Joined Feb 2010
388 Posts
Great looking retracts!
best wishes,
jeff
Jeff Van Hofwegen is online now Find More Posts by Jeff Van Hofwegen
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:48 PM
Joined Jan 2003
3,129 Posts
Looks great ... where did you get the spring loaded landing gear ??? or are they home brew ????

Those where the easy part ,,, now comes the trying to hinge two doors and time them to close like the real one

Keep up the good work .
Old Nov 08, 2010, 06:15 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Great progress on the LG. Thanks for sharing.
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:34 PM
Joined Aug 2008
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post
Looks great ... where did you get the spring loaded landing gear ??? or are they home brew ????

Those where the easy part ,,, now comes the trying to hinge two doors and time them to close like the real one

Keep up the good work .
Yes, all home made with aluminum tubing, springs, and 2mm swivel ball links. I am using a Thompson Automation landing gear controller. I have to order another one and use two in a chain to get the proper sequence for these doors, but it should work pretty well. But your right it will be a pain. Hours of adjustment fun.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:52 PM
Joined Jan 2003
3,129 Posts
Fish
I don't have the kit ,but have drooled for many yrs at the turbine one and also figured out some landing gear for a 450 darthdark mi 24 ... and did some study on the doors and decide not !!!

Good luck ... when you get it figured all out ... please give us a layout diagram and parts list needed as this is in the future
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:30 PM
Scale Hunter
FMT
Joined Nov 2007
97 Posts
Nice!.... thanks for shearing….

Trick-or-treat look at the candy at the back

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrider View Post
I finally got some time to work on this project. Here is a short video of the the rear retracts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlVLL_bpoQ4

I have to apologize to Kin and Willis as I was supposed to have an installation of the Swift 16 mechs by now. I have just had no time to work on my hobbies lately.
skyhunter357 is offline Find More Posts by skyhunter357
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:22 PM
Joined Aug 2008
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhunter357 View Post
Nice!.... thanks for shearing….

Trick-or-treat look at the candy at the back

Dan
Nice spotting Dan. Were you talking about the Halloween candy or your head? I have to say it flew really well the other day. As of this writing I took apart the mechanics to begin the install so the next time you see the head it will be inside the fuse. Although, by that time the candy should be cleaned up.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:44 AM
Scale Hunter
FMT
Joined Nov 2007
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrider View Post
Nice spotting Dan. Were you talking about the Halloween candy or your head? I have to say it flew really well the other day. As of this writing I took apart the mechanics to begin the install so the next time you see the head it will be inside the fuse. Although, by that time the candy should be cleaned up.
Oh yah that too! nice rotor head
skyhunter357 is offline Find More Posts by skyhunter357
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:21 PM
Master of turbine fire
Germany, land of inventors
Joined Mar 2005
208 Posts
Fishrider .. these retracts are really cool. I still have to build my Mi 24 ... it's sitting here and waiting. Could you do me a favour and show some detailed pictures of your retracts? Maybe with some measurements? Which mechanics did you use to take the legs?
I plan to use micro servos on the doors and programm a microcontroller for it. The circuit is small and cheap to do these kind of things. But it will take some time.
sycorax is offline Find More Posts by sycorax