HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2010, 02:24 PM
Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
542 Posts
RC Timer 3530-1100kv

Smooth and powerful. On the plane HK 35-40a ESC, new APC 11x5.5E, 1800-25c blue lipo. Two runs 1st= 29.7 @ 11.0v, 2nd=28.8 @ 11.2. Temp motor 82* ESC 85*. I think it could easily spin a 12", but thats beyond my current needs. Need to check flight times.----Well designed, expertly wound = satisfied cust. I'm buying more after new year.
p51p51 is offline Find More Posts by p51p51
Last edited by p51p51; Feb 03, 2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2010, 04:43 PM
Professional Lurker
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Sep 2006
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtosterman View Post
It looks like RCTimer did a great job with shipping. Only six days from the factory to Kansas City. Sadly, it appears the post office has lost my package somewhere between Kansas City and Webb City. Who would have thought you could lose a registered package! I'll give it a few more days before throwing a fit with the post office.

Thanks for the fast shipping Nina!

Travis
The post office found and delivered my package. One of four servos was bad and would not center. I'll contact Nina after the new year and hope for a replacement.

Travis
tbtosterman is offline Find More Posts by tbtosterman
Old Feb 05, 2010, 07:36 PM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
I always clean every contact needing solder. Electronics components often have a film of oil left from the manufacturing process, and if not cleaned off, solder won't flow or attach till the iron gets it hot enough to burn it off, (at which point the component is dangerously too hot!). And, be careful with graphite; it's slick stuff for sure, but it's carbon...it's conductive!! Vaseline works really well on "T" style connectors and is non-conductive, (makes pulling them apart very easy).
Sonny1 and Sonicj,

Thanks for the soldering advice! I never thought of doing any of those suggested items to plugs prior to melting wires to them.

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Feb 06, 2010, 08:05 PM
Saskatoon, SK.
Joined Oct 2009
224 Posts
2826-6 Motor w/ 30A ESC

Bench tested my RCTimer equipment a couple of days back. The 2826-6 Motor (2200Kv) with a 30A Programmable ESC turning a 6x4 prop (all RCTimer) using a Rhino 3S 2150mAh battery. The first 'fresh' minute of the battery saw the 2826-6 produce a maximum of 940-960g thrust at 24 amps / 250 watts (WOT), then after 4 minutes of 1/2 throttle I went to WOT again and saw a maximum of 840-860g thrust at 21 amps / 210 watts. I repeated the process with another three batteries. Roughly the same outputs, all within roughly 1-3% below the noted above. Not to bad...

Then went flying!

Yesterday was the maiden flight for my RCPower F-22 (final AUW of 550g w/ battery). It went well. Needed a lot of right aileron (elevon) trim until it was dialed in. Had 4 good flights at 6-7 minutes each. All the equipment stayed cool, although the out door temp was -10C. Called it a day after that.

Then went out again today. Considered the flights yesterday, where the minimum cell voltage that I say after a 7 minute flight was 3.72V, I thought that I would try and extend the flight time to 8 minutes.

First flight went fine at the full 8 minutes with final static voltages of each cell at 3.62, 3.61 & 3.61. Just the voltage I was shooting for. During the second flight at 7 minutes in - the ESC cut out (at a bad time) with nothing I could do and the plane ended up in a tree... First time in about 15 years that I climbed a tree! Checked the static voltages; 3.59, 3.60 & 3.61.

I figure it was the low voltage threshold that cut the ESC out. I didn't feel the soft-voltage cut-off... Anyway, I've since lowered the low voltage threshold to 'low' which is 2.50V/cell (default is medium @ 2.85V/cell). So well see how that goes... and I'll be steering clear of the trees in the last couple of minutes of the next test flight.
etotheo is offline Find More Posts by etotheo
Old Feb 06, 2010, 08:37 PM
Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
542 Posts
Run out of power??

Try this.
p51p51 is offline Find More Posts by p51p51
Old Feb 07, 2010, 11:57 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etotheo View Post
Bench tested my RCTimer equipment a couple of days back. The 2826-6 Motor (2200Kv) with a 30A Programmable ESC turning a 6x4 prop (all RCTimer) using a Rhino 3S 2150mAh battery. The first 'fresh' minute of the battery saw the 2826-6 produce a maximum of 940-960g thrust at 24 amps / 250 watts (WOT), then after 4 minutes of 1/2 throttle I went to WOT again and saw a maximum of 840-860g thrust at 21 amps / 210 watts. I repeated the process with another three batteries. Roughly the same outputs, all within roughly 1-3% below the noted above. Not to bad...

Then went flying!

Yesterday was the maiden flight for my RCPower F-22 (final AUW of 550g w/ battery). It went well. Needed a lot of right aileron (elevon) trim until it was dialed in. Had 4 good flights at 6-7 minutes each. All the equipment stayed cool, although the out door temp was -10C. Called it a day after that.

Then went out again today. Considered the flights yesterday, where the minimum cell voltage that I say after a 7 minute flight was 3.72V, I thought that I would try and extend the flight time to 8 minutes.

First flight went fine at the full 8 minutes with final static voltages of each cell at 3.62, 3.61 & 3.61. Just the voltage I was shooting for. During the second flight at 7 minutes in - the ESC cut out (at a bad time) with nothing I could do and the plane ended up in a tree... First time in about 15 years that I climbed a tree! Checked the static voltages; 3.59, 3.60 & 3.61.

I figure it was the low voltage threshold that cut the ESC out. I didn't feel the soft-voltage cut-off... Anyway, I've since lowered the low voltage threshold to 'low' which is 2.50V/cell (default is medium @ 2.85V/cell). So well see how that goes... and I'll be steering clear of the trees in the last couple of minutes of the next test flight.
Which brand and type of 6x4 prop were you using? It does make a difference, although probably only a couple amps here or there.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Feb 07, 2010, 02:11 PM
Saskatoon, SK.
Joined Oct 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Which brand and type of 6x4 prop were you using? It does make a difference, although probably only a couple amps here or there.
The prop mounted was RCTimer's 6x4E. I don't have any others this size to compare to and I also don't have a prop balancer. Will have to look into one of those...

Went to find the link for the prop above, I did notice this comment in the reviews,
"yzguy 2010-02-08 ...After balancing, I tried it on the 2826-6 motor here, and got more thrust and lest amps from this prop than the apc one..."
Old Feb 08, 2010, 09:16 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Ok, we were running the same prop I believe. It looks like you got a few more amps/watts out of you setup. We tested the smooth bell motors as opposed to the newer twisted ones. Not sure if there is a difference though. I plan to test the newer twist motors with an apc 6x4e and a 5x5e in the next few weeks.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:55 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etotheo View Post

Isn't even 2.85V/cell way too low to take a Li cell without decreasing it's life? And 2.5V seems even dangerous.
BrianL is offline Find More Posts by BrianL
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:17 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
what are you guys using for amp draw measurements?

all the multimeters i have are limited to 10AMPed fused, whatever that means. i've used it to measure over 10A a few times, don't know if that's accurate though. And the fuse didn't blow. Any ideas?
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:19 PM
Saskatoon, SK.
Joined Oct 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Isn't even 2.85V/cell way too low to take a Li cell without decreasing it's life? And 2.5V seems even dangerous.
I'd like at least the option of the system still operating at a static 3.6v
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:23 PM
Saskatoon, SK.
Joined Oct 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post

all the multimeters i have are limited to 10AMPed fused, whatever that means. i've used it to measure over 10A a few times, don't know if that's accurate though. And the fuse didn't blow. Any ideas?
One of these meters.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:52 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
That will work. Compare the cost of shipping in the mix.

Many e-meters on the market. Watts-Up meter is a popular one. I use the Bantam e-Station Two-Meter. The two-meter balances, checks voltage, and acts as an amp meter.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:20 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post

RcTimer has this one for $26:http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?app=goods&id=201 . I use it more than my Eflite Wattmeter.
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:25 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
RcTimer has this one for $26:http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?app=goods&id=201 . I use it more than my Eflite Wattmeter.
that looks pretty good. how does the balancing part work?
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek