Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:45 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Sonny and Capt:
Yep, while the 2826-6 that we tested against the 2212-6 did achieve a little more power on the bench, it didn't appear to live up to the specs.

If you look at the 2212-6 at bphobbies, you'll see that it is listed as 220-230 max watts. They indicate that on 3s it pulls 21amps at 232w with a 5x5 prop. Those are basically the results we achieved.

If you look at the 2212-6 at rctimer, you'll see that they list it at 342watts. I think they are "overly optimistic". The list the 2212-6 with a 30amp esc. They also list the 2826-6 at 342watts...and suggest a 40amp esc.

Be careful in trying to get 342 watts out of these motors. Most motors are rated for a max amp draw. You might damage the motor and/or worse.

With all this said, we were testing the motors with the black 6x4props also from rctimer. I think you will get better performance with an apc. In looking at the two props side by side, the apc looks like it has more teeth.
Mine was the 2826-13, and I noticed that after a few seconds at WOT, (20A+), the motor got very warm very fast. I'm using it on a 2M sailplane turning an 11x6 Graupner folding prop, so I am pushing it so a little heat is to be expected, (I only run at WOT for 15 seconds or so at a time to get to altitude, then shut down to soar; the motor has time to cool a bit that way). That being said, compared to the Rimfire 28-30-950 I was using on that plane, the 2826 has a very noticeable increase in power when compared to the Rimfire; but it is not a 30A motor, (as rated in their website)! Good motor, and I'm very happy with it's performance, but they need to clarify the stats on the website.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:20 PM
Hong Kong, Pok Fu Lam
Joined Sep 2009
524 Posts
Holiday Notice

Dear friends,

Thanks for your attention to our items and company.
I would like to inform you that our Chinese New Year weekend is from 4/Feb to 23/Feb.
Chinese New Year is so momentous in our country.
Due to these state the order may stop shipping after GMT 11:59PM 2/Feb, if you don't mind, you can order them at first, we may ship them on 24/Feb.
Thanks for your understanding in this matter.
Have a nice day.

Nina
-----
RC Timer Power Model Co.,Ltd
rctimer is offline Find More Posts by rctimer
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:36 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,234 Posts
Happy New Year!
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:18 PM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Nina,

Happy New Year and do not drink too much tea....

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:59 PM
Saskatoon, SK.
Joined Oct 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
We also had an in-flight failure of one of the 30A programmable ESC's. We did a pre-flight test...and the motor 2826-6, prop 6x4, and battery were only pulling ~21 amps at full throttle. It caught on fire about mid-flight. We lost a plane, the esc, the motor, the battery, the Spektrum receiver, servos, etc. Not good. You can read about that here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1424
Sorry to hear about your lost plane...

I've got the exact same set-up in an RCPowers F-22. My 2150mAh Rhino's should be at my door any time now. I'll do some serious bench testing before I use the 30A ESC and 2826-6 motor in my plane. Maybe I'll run 5 or so full cycles through the equipment before mounting.

Although it is just some depron, it would be a shame to loose any of the gear...
etotheo is offline Find More Posts by etotheo
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:01 PM
Saskatoon, SK.
Joined Oct 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctimer View Post
Dear friends,

Thanks for your attention to our items and company.
I would like to inform you that our Chinese New Year weekend is from 4/Feb to 23/Feb.
Chinese New Year is so momentous in our country.
Due to these state the order may stop shipping after GMT 11:59PM 2/Feb, if you don't mind, you can order them at first, we may ship them on 24/Feb.
Thanks for your understanding in this matter.
Have a nice day.

Nina
-----
RC Timer Power Model Co.,Ltd
That is one long weekend...

Have a good one
etotheo is offline Find More Posts by etotheo
Old Feb 01, 2010, 01:33 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jul 2008
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p51p51 View Post
Just some quick pics of the best motor I own
That's a great motor! How do you like it on your Yak, and what prop are you running it with?
Rota is offline Find More Posts by Rota
Old Feb 01, 2010, 02:36 PM
Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
542 Posts

I'm not going to put it on my yak. The yak is going into retirement-just not happy with it no matter what I did with it or how I flew it. It it a good plane it just isn't for me. I may put it on my daily flyer-Extra 330. I beat that plane up and it takes all and then floats down for a soft landing. I have no problem flying it in 12mph wind. The other plane might be my Funtana X. I just burned up my omega72g trying Lovemak. I flew about 30 flights got comfortable then on it's KE full power L-rudd full down cavatated prop for about 6sec and motor died. The RC Timer 3a 5v UBEC landed the plane safely. But the RC Timer 3530 has so many features of more expensive motors I doubt I'll ever buy anything else. My pics really don't do this motor justice. You just need to get a couple. After new year I'm going to get at least a few more. I'll post more results later on the other stuff I got.
p51p51 is offline Find More Posts by p51p51
Old Feb 01, 2010, 04:35 PM
Professional Lurker
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Sep 2006
27 Posts
It looks like RCTimer did a great job with shipping. Only six days from the factory to Kansas City. Sadly, it appears the post office has lost my package somewhere between Kansas City and Webb City. Who would have thought you could lose a registered package! I'll give it a few more days before throwing a fit with the post office.

Thanks for the fast shipping Nina!

Travis
tbtosterman is offline Find More Posts by tbtosterman
Old Feb 01, 2010, 11:21 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p51p51 View Post
I just burned up my omega72g
are you gonna rewind it?
-sj
sonicj is offline Find More Posts by sonicj
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:16 AM
Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
542 Posts
72g

Gonna have to. It was my fault. I put a 12x6sf on it. But I honestly believe that sooner or later it would have failed-the windings are that mashed up. If I had a 11x5 on it I would in a heart beat. But get this. While waiting for a motor mount for my RC Timer 3530, I put an old Super Tiger .10 in the mini Funtana X. All I can say is WOW! I'm beating that thing up like I own it. Easy landings too. I hope my RC Timer 3530 1100kv will do better than the 72g. The 3530's windings look taller-about the same dia. 72g weighs 71.4 and the 3530 74g. I think as long as I stay under E-11x5, I should be ok. Any suggestions on wire size & turns?
p51p51 is offline Find More Posts by p51p51
Old Feb 02, 2010, 03:57 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,602 Posts
Just got my shipment from RCTimer and it only took 10 days maybe a little less. I'll be getting more from them especially the Deans connectors w/ the "grips"
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Feb 02, 2010, 11:49 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
some handy advice on those xti connectors.... lightly sand the solder contacts until the shininess goes away (with maybe some 400 or 600 grit) and then clean with alcohol for a much faster flowing, consistent joint. a puff of powdered graphite lube on the blades and in the female connectors helps with the tighter fitting connectors. (plus its conductive!)
sonicj is offline Find More Posts by sonicj
Old Feb 03, 2010, 12:17 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
some handy advice on those xti connectors.... lightly sand the solder contacts until the shininess goes away (with maybe some 400 or 600 grit) and then clean with alcohol for a much faster flowing, consistent joint. a puff of powdered graphite lube on the blades and in the female connectors helps with the tighter fitting connectors. (plus its conductive!)
I always clean every contact needing solder. Electronics components often have a film of oil left from the manufacturing process, and if not cleaned off, solder won't flow or attach till the iron gets it hot enough to burn it off, (at which point the component is dangerously too hot!). And, be careful with graphite; it's slick stuff for sure, but it's carbon...it's conductive!! Vaseline works really well on "T" style connectors and is non-conductive, (makes pulling them apart very easy).
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1