HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:35 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,363 Posts
I have a suggestion for Nina.

I like the "T" connectors and the prices are fantastic. But is it possible to stock packs of just the female connectors? Maybe 10 to a pack.

I always end up with 1,1984,234 male connectors but no female ones since those go on all my battery packs so buying them in pairs just adds to the pile.

Thank you!
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2009, 01:03 PM
United States, FL, Lynn Haven
Joined May 2009
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Managing2fly View Post
Nina,

It's been 37 days since I ordered and still no package.
I asked you to please check on my order a few post back and it has gone ignored.
Please check this order for me, the order number is 2009102220111.
I am really starting to getting frustrated.
Nina,

I am hoping that this just got over looked. will you please check on the order listed above.
Managing2fly is offline Find More Posts by Managing2fly
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:11 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,791 Posts
RCTimer 2830-13 950kv Brushless Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Sonny, How heavy is your folding prop setup and how is it attached...photo please?
Cheers,
Jim
OK Jim, I found the little "flower" symbol on my camera, hopefully the pics will be better now. These are the 3 props I used: All of these attach with standard collet-type adapters, are balanced, and weighed as shown. The top one is an APC 11x7 @ 17.9 gr, the middle one is a Graupner Spinner w/ Graupner 11x8 blades, (carbon blades which I originally listed as 11x7...my mistake), it weighs 31.4 gr, the bottom one is a Hobby King Spinner w/ APC 11x8 blades @44.8 gr, (plastic blades). The original test and failure was with the Graupner prop pulling around 22A. BTW: I have mixed & matched various adapters to fit the shafts of my motors, (I don't like trying to use a 3.17mm adapter on a 3mm shaft, though I know people do; bad idea in my book, it does make a difference!). It's a challenge finding adapters which fit in the spinner back-plate sometimes, but I have 3mm, 3.17mm, & 4mm motor shafts and I use the same props with appropriate adapters for each size shaft. I have used all these props with a Rimfire 28-30-950kv on numerous flights with the appropriate 3mm adapters. Otherwise they are the same props and same weight and they work very well on the Rimfire, (rated 14A continuous, 20A burst; the Graupner pulls 17-18A @full throttle on that motor w/ that prop), which is close to the same ratings as the RCTimer 2830-13 950kv, though it's rated on their site only as 30A, (doesn't say continuous or max, so who knows? To be safe I would assume that to be a "burst" rating). The RCTimer motor should be capable of drawing 20A+ if the rating is correct; that's why I bought it. There aren't many 28mm motors out there with that rating, so I was hoping to get a little more oomph than the Rimfire. I know the RCTimer motor will pull 22A on those props, so I'm sure their rating is close to the stated 30A, but I suspect the components are not capable of holding under that much torque. The Rimfire simply will not exceed 17-18A with those props in my tests, (using the same 3S 2200mah 25C lipoly packs), but the RCTimer motor obviously will. Comparing size, and kv ratings these motors are the same, but the RCTimer motor is obviously capable of drawing more amperage. So there you go, just gonna have to wait for the replacement motor and see what happens. I should note that I do appreciate that they are sending a replacement, thanks RCTimer.
sonny1 is online now Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Dec 01, 2009, 08:12 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
Don't run brushless motors at full throttle without props 101

Hi Sonny,
Great photos, thanks! I'm still trying to figure out how it is possible for the motor bell able to come off and fly across the room if the props collards are properly tightened on the shafts? The motor bell weight certainly does not have the power to do that. I think the Hobby King Spinner w/ APC 11x8 blades @44.8 gr, (plastic blades) might be a bit much for your 2830-13 motor. You might give their 2217 series a try for that weight. How do you do a balance on those folding setups?
You did mention that you were running the motors with the props when you had this failure, but for the others reading who might not know this, and just to be sure it is said, most folks have not heard that the quick way to damage brushless motors and ESC's is to run them at full throttle without prop load for any more than a second or two. They will over-heat due to going way past their rated Kv and not being able to dissipate the extra heat in a static environment. Only use partial low throttle in very brief seconds to test operation and rotation. Over the last three years I've taken a poll of motors and ESC's burning up and the common thing is that those that have that happen seem to run their motors up on a static test without props at full throttle for more than a second or two and sometimes much longer. There simply is no reason to do that with brushless motors and ESC's. Doing so might not make them immediately inoperable, but the wear on the over-heated bearings, loosening magnets, overheating motor windings, and over-heating ESC components will potentially show up as a problem later.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
OK Jim, I found the little "flower" symbol on my camera, hopefully the pics will be better now. These are the 3 props I used: All of these attach with standard collet-type adapters, are balanced, and weighed as shown. The top one is an APC 11x7 @ 17.9 gr, the middle one is a Graupner Spinner w/ Graupner 11x8 blades, (carbon blades which I originally listed as 11x7...my mistake), it weighs 31.4 gr, the bottom one is a Hobby King Spinner w/ APC 11x8 blades @44.8 gr, (plastic blades). The original test and failure was with the Graupner prop pulling around 22A. BTW: I have mixed & matched various adapters to fit the shafts of my motors, (I don't like trying to use a 3.17mm adapter on a 3mm shaft, though I know people do; bad idea in my book, it does make a difference!). It's a challenge finding adapters which fit in the spinner back-plate sometimes, but I have 3mm, 3.17mm, & 4mm motor shafts and I use the same props with appropriate adapters for each size shaft. I have used all these props with a Rimfire 28-30-950kv on numerous flights with the appropriate 3mm adapters. Otherwise they are the same props and same weight and they work very well on the Rimfire, (rated 14A continuous, 20A burst; the Graupner pulls 17-18A @full throttle on that motor w/ that prop), which is close to the same ratings as the RCTimer 2830-13 950kv, though it's rated on their site only as 30A, (doesn't say continuous or max, so who knows? To be safe I would assume that to be a "burst" rating). The RCTimer motor should be capable of drawing 20A+ if the rating is correct; that's why I bought it. There aren't many 28mm motors out there with that rating, so I was hoping to get a little more oomph than the Rimfire. I know the RCTimer motor will pull 22A on those props, so I'm sure their rating is close to the stated 30A, but I suspect the components are not capable of holding under that much torque. The Rimfire simply will not exceed 17-18A with those props in my tests, (using the same 3S 2200mah 25C lipoly packs), but the RCTimer motor obviously will. Comparing size, and kv ratings these motors are the same, but the RCTimer motor is obviously capable of drawing more amperage. So there you go, just gonna have to wait for the replacement motor and see what happens. I should note that I do appreciate that they are sending a replacement, thanks RCTimer.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Dec 03, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:36 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Managing2fly View Post
Nina - I placed an order on 10-22-09 and have not received it yet. The website says it shipped on 11-04-09. Will you please check on this for me? The order number is 2009102220111.
Have you received your items yet?

I am tempted to buy from these people, but if they don't deliver, they're not worth ordering from.

I am curios to hear how this has turned out. Do they reply to emails? PM's, calls?
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:08 PM
United States, FL, Lynn Haven
Joined May 2009
23 Posts
RCTimer is communicating via PM now and hopefully all will work out fine. Time will tell.
Managing2fly is offline Find More Posts by Managing2fly
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:11 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Please keep us informed as to how this turns out.

I am on the fence, with as much time as it has taken to be resolved as it is.
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Dec 02, 2009, 12:24 AM
Joined Oct 2009
6 Posts
Managing2Fly;

I hope this works out for you. i placed 2 orders with rc timer on ebay for their 15g metal gear servos. my experience with them started out bad (missing the 2mm bolt for the arm...they sent a sheet metal screw instead) but their customer service replied to my email the next day and fixed the problem so it ended good. i've used the servos now for about 10 flights on my wing and they work fine so far. my nylon servos stripped after only 4 flights. a buddy paid about $10-15 for just the metal gears to rebuild his stripped servos on his wing so i think i got a deal.

hope my experience gives you encouragement to keep trying. their prices seem pretty decent so i'm going to try them again. maybe do what i did...go on ebay and click on "asking the seller a question" through one of their product offers and maybe it'll get you to the right person. you have your order nbr so they should be able to look you up and take care of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
Have you received your items yet?

I am tempted to buy from these people, but if they don't deliver, they're not worth ordering from.

I am curios to hear how this has turned out. Do they reply to emails? PM's, calls?
windmill200 is offline Find More Posts by windmill200
Last edited by windmill200; Dec 02, 2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2009, 01:10 AM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jul 2008
275 Posts
I just tested my 35-30 1100 kV motor and 30A speed control. Everything seems to work fine. The motor is pulling 22 amps at WOT and producing 270 Watts. The plane will hover at half throttle and punch out at anything above that.

One thing I noticed was that even though the ESC is rated for 30 Amps, it felt very warm after running at consistent WOT for a few minutes. I imagine with the nice cool air blowing over it while it's actually flying will make a difference, but I'm going to keep flights short for now to keep an eye on it.
Rota is offline Find More Posts by Rota
Old Dec 03, 2009, 01:47 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rota View Post
I just tested my 35-30 1100 kV motor and 30A speed control. Everything seems to work fine. The motor is pulling 22 amps at WOT and producing 270 Watts. The plane will hover at half throttle and punch out at anything above that.

One thing I noticed was that even though the ESC is rated for 30 Amps, it felt very warm after running at consistent WOT for a few minutes. I imagine with the nice cool air blowing over it while it's actually flying will make a difference, but I'm going to keep flights short for now to keep an eye on it.
Cool, glad your motor worked well for you, guess I got one of the few w/ problems. Mine pulled 22A too; at least while it was briefly working! They said they sent a new one out on the 29th, though it doesn't say so on my account; we'll see. What size prop were you using?
Old Dec 03, 2009, 02:27 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctimer View Post
Dear Sonny1,

Sorry for any inconvenience.
We have resent a new motor to you on 28/Nov.
Tracking No. is RB008140975HK, you can check the shipping details from www.hongkongpost.com

Nina
Hello Nina, I checked & Hong Kong Post has the package, but nothing regarding this is indicated on my account on your website. Are you sure you are sending it to the correct customer? Just curious, thank you.

Sonny
Old Dec 03, 2009, 02:53 AM
Hong Kong, Pok Fu Lam
Joined Sep 2009
559 Posts
Quote:
Hello Nina, I checked & Hong Kong Post has the package, but nothing regarding this is indicated on my account on your website. Are you sure you are sending it to the correct customer? Just curious, thank you.

Sonny
Dear Sonny,

http://app3.hongkongpost.com/CGI/mt/genresult.jsp

Nina
rctimer is offline Find More Posts by rctimer
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2009, 03:01 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi Sonny, I think the Hobby King Spinner w/ APC 11x8 blades @44.8 gr, (plastic blades) might be a bit much for your 2830-13 motor. You might give their 2217 series a try for that weight. How do you do a balance on those folding setups?

Cheers,
Jim
Sorry for the delay getting back to you Jim. For the folders, I weigh each blade on a gram scale and file or sand them as needed till they are exactly the same weight; it's a pia to do folders any other way I've tried & seems to work ok. For regular props, my method is my own, (learned from my dad years ago; god forbid I actually buy a proper tool!!): I use 2 "step-bits" which are cone shaped and come to a point. I put the points in the prop hole from each side and carefully adjust the bits in a vise, (which has holes in each jaw to accept the shafts of the step-bits), till the prop "floats" freely, then sand the heavy side till it stays horizontal. I will note that when I have an apparent "out of balance" prop, often it's a matter of improper mounting of the collet to the shaft. Even with "balanced" props it's easy to get a collet "cock-eyed" on the shaft which also produces an out of balance condition, especially if the available amount of shaft for mounting is short. When the failure first happened with my motor I was using the Graupner folder; didn't use the HK spinner till after the first failure. The Graupner shouldn't be too heavy for that motor; though it is a possiblity. It's the one I will try when the replacement motor arrives. In the meantime, I'm going to mount the Emax 450 I ordered from HeadsupRC to the same plane & check that out till the replacement 2930-13 arrives; don't want to wait 2 or 3 weeks to get it airborne. Is it Sunday yet?

Sonny
Old Dec 03, 2009, 03:04 AM
Hong Kong, Pok Fu Lam
Joined Sep 2009
559 Posts
Quote:
Cool, glad your motor worked well for you, guess I got one of the few w/ problems. Mine pulled 22A too; at least while it was briefly working! They said they sent a new one out on the 29th, though it doesn't say so on my account; we'll see. What size prop were you using?
Dear Sonny1,

Our 2830-13 950KV :
7.4v ~ Use 10x7E
11.1V ~ Use 9x3E
14.8v ~ Use 8x4E

Nina
rctimer is offline Find More Posts by rctimer
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2009, 03:08 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctimer View Post
Yes Nina, I confirmed the package is at Hong Kong Post, but I want to make sure you are sending it to ME, not to some other customer. There is no mention of any item being shipped listed on my account on your website. I just wondered if I am indeed the intended recipient of that shipment?