SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2009, 05:53 PM
Darien, Illinios
Joined Aug 2005
183 Posts
Question
Slow Poke Sport 40 Build?

My flying buddy wants to get back into building after 20 years. He is interested in a "Slowpoke Sport - 40". I am not familiar with that plane and no one in our club has one. My buddy and I are experienced builders so that is no problem. I am interested in finding out if the Slowpoke would be a good first low wing plane. Can anyone give us some feedback? FYI - I just bought a Phoenix Models "Dolphin 40" to practice my sport flying with and what a super plane it is for a reasonably priced ARF.

Modelmaster2001
modelmaster2001 is offline Find More Posts by modelmaster2001
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:48 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,419 Posts
I'm not sure about the Slo Poke Sport but the original Slo Poke with a .40 is the devil's own design. Much like the old Flying Flea it is a delight when flown within a rather narrow speed envelope. But speed it up a little with too hot an engine or in even a shallow dive and it suddenly wants to tuck to a vertical lawn dart mode and will not pull out on its own without a healthy application of up elevator.

This issue can be beaten but it requires a stupidly forward CG location, which spoils a lot of the fun, or a switch to a much lower pitching moment airfoil. It has a flat bottom polywog airfoil on it now but a switch to a Clark YH airfoil with the upsweep at the trailing edge and generally lower camber SHOULD take care of this tendency. NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT THE REGULAR CLARK Y YOU SEE EVERYWHERE ! ! ! To see the shape you and he can download Profili2 from www.profili2.com and use the freeware version to view and print out the airfoil.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 07, 2009, 05:47 PM
Darien, Illinios
Joined Aug 2005
183 Posts
Dear BMathews- Your are undoubtably correct about the original "Slow Poke" with a .40 sized engine which is designed as a .25 sized plane. However, the SP "Sport 40" , from the few old posted reviews I could find says it is a sweetheart. I am trying to verify the merits of the Sport 40 because my flying buddy has had a rough start getting his "flying fingers" back after a 20 years out of the hobby. Twice, trees jumped up and grabbed his trainer, (our field is surrounded), and he is getting discouraged.
modelmaster2001 is offline Find More Posts by modelmaster2001
Last edited by modelmaster2001; Oct 08, 2009 at 07:59 AM.