HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2009, 12:00 PM
Drum, Pa
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
Discussion
F3P Contest at the Keystone Indoor-Muncy, Pa

Hey folks. Just a quick reminder that one of the many events scheduled for the Keystone Indoor Electric Fly (KIEF...Oct 16-18th, 2009) is an F3P pattern contest. This contest was a great event at last years Kief and is sure to be even better this year. Dave Lockhart and Ed Alt will be overseeing the contest which will take place on Sunday morning in the Micro-flying area (that flying sections is protected by a floor the ceiling net, so no worrying about other aircraft during your flight ). We have really nice plaques for the top three finishes in each category. As like last year, there will be an advanced and a sportsman category flown. Please see our website or the below link for the sequences and also links to the FAI Sporting Code for the rules.

http://www.pafunfly.com/f3prules.html

www.keystoneindoor.com

If you are new to F3P, just keep in mind that the contest was purposely scheduled for Sunday a.m. to allow you up to two full days to practice the sequence. For those new to pattern and would like to give the sportsman schedule a try, don't forget that all the figures (maneuvers) listed are center box figures. In other words you get to do the first figure in which you are judged, then you fly off to the side, turn your plane around and come back into the center box to do your second figure. You will not be judged on the turn around portions, only the center box figures. This gives you a chance to line the plane up where you want and take a quick breather if needed.

One thing I will assure you, you will have fun and you will learn from flying F3P. We'll have a ton of experienced sequence pilots (Pattern, Imac, F3M) willing to help out anyone new to precision flying.

Why not give it a try.

........Mark
OnTheEdge is offline Find More Posts by OnTheEdge
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2009, 09:48 AM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
315 Posts
Entrants

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to do a little advanced planning for the F3P at KIEF this coming weekend.

Please let me know (in this thread or PM) what class you want to fly, and if you are not on 2.4 (I think this can be accomodated, but there will be open flying in the main area of the venue).

If you are interested in helping with judging (which class, or both), scoring, or general coordination during the event, please let me know, and this kind of help would be greatly appreciated (especially scoring, last years scorekeeper isn't available).

We are planning to have a briefing/meeting on Saturday afternoon (time to be determined, based on availability of meeting room) to go through any questions, and outline how the contest will be run -
- questions on maneuvers
- questions on scoring, judging
- number of rounds flown and used for results

I'd like to get as much squared away during the meeting on Saturday as possible, as this should allow more of our allotted 2 hour time slot for flying competition rounds.

Check the links on the KIEF website for more info about the schedules and F3P rules. And feel free to post or PM me with any questions.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 is offline Find More Posts by DaveL322
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:28 PM
Joined Jan 2005
286 Posts
Can you guys post the sequense we will be flying? I am seeing different variations between the description you have on the KIEF and whats under the codes.

thanks,
Jamie Hicks
jhicks is offline Find More Posts by jhicks
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:51 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,159 Posts
Jamie, here's the sequence:

1. Takeoff
2. Flip-flop
3. Barrel Roll
4. Loop-de-loop
5. Go high and fast
6. Crash

Hope this helps.
RJ
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:52 PM
Joined Jan 2005
286 Posts
that will work. thanks RJ
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:00 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,159 Posts
No problem man.

In all seriousness, if nobody has one, I'll probably draw up an Aresti of the sequence in the next couple of days, assuming someone confirms the written description on the website...

I'm looking forward to starting off the indoor season... Should be a fun weekend!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 09:23 PM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot
Jamie, here's the sequence:

1. Takeoff
2. Flip-flop
3. Barrel Roll
4. Loop-de-loop
5. Go high and fast
6. Crash

Hope this helps.
RJ
RJ,

On number 6 it is crash into the net as high as possible making it impossible to retrieve the model.
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Oct 12, 2009, 09:26 PM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
315 Posts
Hi Jamie,

The schedules posted on the KIEF website are correct.
http://www.pafunfly.com/f3prules.html

The "A" schedule is the FAI F3P preliminary schedule with a couple small changes, which is flown by the Germans. The changes were basically elimination of the spin, and 2 1/2 rolls in a downline, as neither can be done nicely by the typical F3P foamy in a low ceiling gym. Jurgen Heilig posted an aresti for this sequence, and a link to a demo flight - they are:
http://airtoimedia.nl/web/upload/Ju...-F3P-Expert.wmv
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2595600

I would note maneuver A3 on the KIEF website listing states the knife edge square turn is outside, but it can be done inside or outside.

The "B" schedule is the same schedule flown at the 2008 KIEF, and the additional link on the KIEF website is a link to an aresti for the B sequence.
http://www.pafunfly.com/Pdf/3D20Indo...entsport-1.pdf

The remaining link on the KIEF site is the FAI aerobatics regulations which provide (among other things) maneuver descriptions and judging criteria.
http://www.pafunfly.com/Pdf/sc4_f3_aerobatics_09.pdf

Please let me know if any other questions.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhicks
Can you guys post the sequense we will be flying? I am seeing different variations between the description you have on the KIEF and whats under the codes.

thanks,
Jamie Hicks
Old Oct 13, 2009, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2005
286 Posts
Is there going to be any place to practice F3P? or just the regular area's?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:03 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,159 Posts
It would be great if we could claim a corner of the dome for a little while to do some F3P practice with limited risk of midairs...
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:32 PM
Endicott,N.Y.
Joined Nov 2005
143 Posts
Last year many of the micro pilots went to dinner together so we were able to practice then, also again later in the evening. Hopefully it will work out the same this year.

Dave, sign me up for the "B" if there's enough interest. Otherwise I'll fly "pit pattern" from behind the scene. There isn't enough time,batteries,or airplanes for that matter for me and my 45 year old eyes/reflexes to learn the "A".
See ya in a couple days,
Jim
Jim Carr is offline Find More Posts by Jim Carr
Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:42 AM
Tech-Aero Designs
Northern NJ
Joined Oct 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhicks
Is there going to be any place to practice F3P? or just the regular area's?
Mark Vukmonovich is planning to provide some dedicated F3P practice time around dinner time Saturday in the micro area. Not sure of the exact time or duration yet, but this is what I know from our most recent conversation.
NJRCFlyer2 is offline Find More Posts by NJRCFlyer2
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:26 AM
Drum, Pa
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRCFlyer2
Mark Vukmonovich is planning to provide some dedicated F3P practice time around dinner time Saturday in the micro area. Not sure of the exact time or duration yet, but this is what I know from our most recent conversation.

Actually, the dinner time practice won't work this year as the events in the micro area will probably take them up to the night flying time slot. There are a ton of micro enthusiast traveling from all corners of the country for these events so we need to make sure they get their events in. After that, we "might" get to use that area for F3P practice once the lights go back on. We can fly till 11pm so we'll get some practice in some how. This is what I communicated to Dave last evening.

I hope everyone understands. We always try our best to accommodate as much as possible.

............Mark
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:30 AM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
315 Posts
Worth a shot. The more pilots interested in doing this, the better the odds of it happening...officially or unofficially.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot
It would be great if we could claim a corner of the dome for a little while to do some F3P practice with limited risk of midairs...
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:16 PM
Drum, Pa
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
I'm working with Tony on seeing if maybe we could get you guys in an hour earlier on Sunday. We could have three practice areas going with out any interference. I'll let you know. Not sure if the dome management can accommodate this or not.