HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2009, 10:56 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Build Log
Guanli PBY unlike any other.

Well with the Hellcat nearing completion I have time between paint coatings and spackle fillings to start on another project. This is a PBY I bought I think back in February.

A little bit of history on this project before I get into it. I bought this with the intentions of building it for a friend. However this isn't for just any friend, it is for one of the best friends I have ever had. This guy has been with me since day one on this thread and has been someone I can talk to on a weekly basis if not more about anything. His kindness is limitless to me and others on this thread. Him and his wife have really gone out of their way for me and my family at one time or another. He has mentioned that this particular PBY is his favorite and I decided to take this little project on. He knows about it and if you have forgotten buddy the here is your reminder. I wanted to be done by early summer but things happen and projects get put on hold. Well now its time to get this party started so Santa can get a Christmas gift.

It will be flown with stock motors and such so the request to keep the weight the same has been made. I am going to do my best but I want this to be as scale as I can get it. Glue and such will add up but I feel I can keep it well with in reason. I am a detail freak and there are some hangups on the original model that will change as well as the transition to the image below.

More to come,
Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2009, 11:07 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
The Butchering.

So to get the proportions right some stuff has got to go. The nose is the most distinguished part so I have to hack it up. So I put it on my butcher slab with some reference photos and jumped right in. The foam sands quite nicely but it also means it is going to be weaker. When cutting the nose I used an extra big emery board to level out both sides. With gluing this part on I would typically use Gorilla Glue. However this little darlin' will have to float. With the porous nature of Gorilla Glue I opted for a more water tight solution. I use this for gluing my servos and canopies. A nice little tip from my buddy that will ensure a water tight fit.

I also removed the cartoon scale blisters on the back and will replace them with blisters from my Great Planes PBY I lost back in February due to a cross wind and hooking a tip float. This will give her a better scale profile and look cooler too. The other hang up is the cockpit. Painted on windows suck and I can do better. I have cut them out as you can see below but It seems a bit flimsy and I may amputate the whole area and build a custom canopy. May be lighter too.

SO that's all for tonight while the glue dries, more tomorrow.

Orion
Old Oct 02, 2009, 11:39 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,081 Posts
I am VERY curious to see how this turns out, I have the same model and also have been contemplating making it more scale this winter, when it's too cold to fly it (and the lakes have frozen!) I bought a set of GP PBY blisters, for the same reasons you did, and plan on adding the nose turret too. I've already covered over the yellow "rescue" paint scheme.

I also want to make the floats retractable, either with retracts or just hinges to fold them up for land flying. Retracts would be a lot more work, but would also look WAY cool.

Stock power is very marginal, the 7 cell Nimh has to be hot off the charger to work. I've been using a 3 cell 1320ma Lipo, much better performance, although I have to be extra careful on throttle to not burn up the stock motors. Might go for brushless this winter too.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Oct 02, 2009, 11:45 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Well I am not going to do tip float retracts on this one due to the weight restrictions and request of my friend. However I do have some ideas for a light and functional set of retractable tip floats. Issues are, the tip floats are way too fat, therefore they will have to be thinned which may or may not have negative effects on water performance.

Orion
Old Oct 03, 2009, 06:35 AM
Crazy, that's how it goes
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
397 Posts
Damn Orion!

Yer full of suprises!
Looks like a ton of potential there buddy, I'm subscribed!
CRAZYDAVE is offline Find More Posts by CRAZYDAVE
Old Oct 03, 2009, 07:50 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Hey Dave,
I like to keep everyone on their toes. If this turns out as good as I think it will I may buy one for myself and go brushless with some other goodies.

Orion
Old Oct 03, 2009, 09:19 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,604 Posts
morning Orion,

This will be fun to watch. Those tip floats are seriously uuugggly, love to see what you can do with them. I'm sure you've read Phil's (Smokin' Beaver) thread over in scale where he converted the Guillow's PBY and made retracting tip floats. Straightforward and very light weight.

You thinking that you might be farther ahead to ditch the kit canopy and pull a plastic one? Probably stronger and a lot more scale, just all the work to make the mold.

I am curious though. What is the downside to throwing a couple of cheap bell outrunners at it? I got my power systems for the Lib from UH, and a 1400 kV motor and 15A esc combo was like $15. Gives about 140W with the bonus of swinging a GWS 8 x 4 three-blader, for scale looks. Just a thought.

Keep the pics coming, Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Oct 03, 2009, 09:39 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Good Morning Jeff,
Is it cold down there? I woke up to 49 degrees and a parking lot full of cars. No flying for me today.

Well I have a lot I want to do to this plane. However I am limited to the desires of the owner. When I do mine it will be different. The tip floats will remain fat like the hot chicks friend at the bar. The owner wants to be able to enjoy flying this plane and not be afraid of tearing it up. I think he might still have a problem with it since I am building it and its one of a kind but I still want him to enjoy it. I will save the drastic stuff for mine.

Orion
Old Oct 03, 2009, 10:43 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
So this mornings update is now up.

I shaped the front end a little to get the hull going and now its time for the top deck where the turret is going to go. Took a bit of finessing but I got it to fit and this also gives me the forward lip the PBY has just above the window. I was going to put the window in the front of this but since it will be taking direct hits from water I don't want to risk a hull breach. I am sure I could get it to not leak but I just don't want to chance it.

More to come when the glue dries

Orion
Old Oct 03, 2009, 10:56 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax
Well I am not going to do tip float retracts on this one due to the weight restrictions and request of my friend. However I do have some ideas for a light and functional set of retractable tip floats. Issues are, the tip floats are way too fat, therefore they will have to be thinned which may or may not have negative effects on water performance.

Orion
True, the complexity of wingtip retracts is daunting. A simple hinge arrangement wouldn't be too hard, but again, i really like the idea of retracting those floats after takeoff.

As far as cutting down the floats to a more scale outline, I don't think that will be a big deal as long as you balance the wings. For some reason, the stock wing is much heavier on the left side, I added 1/4 oz. weight on the right, and it's still needs some more. Left wing drags and makes water handling difficult until you get on step. With a balanced wing, tip floats should raise out of the water as soon as you get moving.
Old Oct 03, 2009, 10:58 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring
I'm sure you've read Phil's (Smokin' Beaver) thread over in scale where he converted the Guillow's PBY and made retracting tip floats. Straightforward and very light weight.
Link? Also, where did you get that brushless/esc combo? thanks.
Old Oct 03, 2009, 04:11 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
I hate dry times. The only thing worse than paint is glue.

Paint is drying on the Hellcat so I picked up the PBY. Looked dry but I guess I was wrong. Noticed it separating after sanding the first side. So I reapplied tape and continued sanding and moved the tape as needed. Once it dries I will remove it and add the turret. However I may want to do a little more work to the turret and maybe add windows to this one, perhaps a gun too.
Old Oct 03, 2009, 04:16 PM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,817 Posts
Thats Nice

Are you going for retracts?
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Oct 03, 2009, 04:30 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Glad you like it.
Not on this one. My friend doesn't want them.

The beautiful thing I have discovered about this plane is that it is 2 halves glued together. With that feature already part of the fuselage I should be able to split one in half and implement retracts. This way it can float or land on pavement. The mains won't be too bad either because it should run off of one servo with minimal components. I just need to get my own instead of testing on a friends.

Orion
Old Oct 03, 2009, 08:30 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,604 Posts
Naw, Jason, we are still well in the 60's. Windy and rainy too. Got a little flying in Wed, the wx was perfect, but nothing since. You really are good with foam, can't believe you get those nice sharp edges on the chines. I also want to know why your pics are always so clean. My shop looks like the inside of a snow globe when I start working foam.

Angelo, Phil's build is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565949 , retract floats begin around post #17.

Motor/esc combos are from UH, see here: http://www.unitedhobbies.com/hobbyci...idCategory=179

Cheers,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring