SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2001, 06:09 PM
Rocket Scientist
Slidell,LA,USA
Joined Sep 2001
203 Posts
Rondo ESC help, please

I had trouble with the Rondo on my Ellipstic today. The ESC would not arm the motor with fully charged 8 cell pack. The elevons would work ok but no throttle. After much frustrating troubleshooting I determined that it would work with a partially discharged 8 cell pack or a fully charged 7 cell pack but not a fully charged 8 cell pack. I have many flights on this ESC with 8 cell packs but something is up today. Does anyone have any ideas about what is wrong?

Tim Knowles
dtknowles is offline Find More Posts by dtknowles
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2001, 07:05 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
I dont have much to offer other than my Rondo's work on 7 and 8cell packs frequently without the symptoms you describe. Its designed for 6-10cells so this is odd. Have this worked before or is it a new setup?

The ony reason the ESC will refuse to arm is in a case of lack of signal or faulty connectors somewhere in the system - or a faulty ESC for that matter.

Just a wild thought - place the transmitter further away from the ESC while connecting the battery - with the antenna down. It <i>could</i> be swamping out the ESC.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Sep 17, 2001, 01:55 AM
owosso, mich
Joined Mar 1999
416 Posts
check the servo wires going to unit

these will fret and loosen up after awhile. have resoldered both rondos of mine at one time or another.
wiley is offline Find More Posts by wiley
Old Sep 17, 2001, 09:37 PM
Rocket Scientist
Slidell,LA,USA
Joined Sep 2001
203 Posts
Radio not swamped and know about broken servo leads

Wiley,
I had a second Rondo with the problem you discribed. I reported it to Kontronik and on rec.models.rc.air before I joined this forum. These wires need to have strain relief installed so I put a dab of Goop where the wires connect to the board. This Rondo does not have the wire problem.

Haldor,

Oh, how I was hoping you were right. Did testing with a good amount of distance between the Tx and the plane. The Rondo would not arm until I got the pack voltage down to 10.2 volts. The pack right off the charger was 10.8 volts

Thank you both. I have also contacted Bernard Cawley. I will let you know if we hear anything from Kontronik or find a cause ourselves.

Attached is a picture of my Ellipstic (yellow) and my buddy Joe Colletti's (orange). His is from Tom Hunts kit and mine is from the plans, we both took some liberties with the elevons.

Tim Knowles
dtknowles is offline Find More Posts by dtknowles