Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 14, 2010, 05:35 PM
Sunny Sheff, UK
Joined Jul 2008
148 Posts
On your recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post
Fantastic pictures! I like the last one the most!
chipbutty is offline Find More Posts by chipbutty
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2010, 05:39 PM
Sunny Sheff, UK
Joined Jul 2008
148 Posts
I've tidied it up since the pic and secured the wires. The long wires on the Hextronic servos are a pain on these small frames.

I got the blue and yellow HK 250 size canopy this week and it's a much better fit than the stock yellow one. The stock one is too thick and it weighs 8gms more! That's a lot of weight on a small heli and it flies a lot better with the new canopy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakMov View Post
Becareful. That little bugger is a wire eater if you don't secure those wires far enough away from the motor or main gear.
Old May 15, 2010, 05:27 PM
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined May 2010
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbutty View Post
I agree some HK parts are crap. I was really pointing out to a fellow UK resident that some HK parts are available cheaply here. We pay a hell of lot for stuff here so 53 pence for a pair of tail blades isn't to be sniffed at.

Also Sonix stuff for the 250 is good value and decent quality.

http://www.sportsmoto.co.uk/acatalog..._Upgrades.html
thanks for the posts, helpful links which i will bookmark!
Add1ct3dd is online now Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
Old May 17, 2010, 04:11 AM
Sunny Sheff, UK
Joined Jul 2008
148 Posts
A couple more showing the blue canopy. It's a much better fit than the stock yellow. My stock canopy is far too tight even after reshaping it. A shame as the stock yellow is nicer.

Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:27 AM
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Modena
Joined Mar 2009
413 Posts
Hi can you resume me if the 250gt has same problem...or if there are some mod to do....?!
arnaldo26 is offline Find More Posts by arnaldo26
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:58 AM
Sunny Sheff, UK
Joined Jul 2008
148 Posts
I've found the quality of HK250GT parts to be terrible. After two months of trying to get this thing to fly properly I was about to chuck it away until today. One of the main issues I've found causing terrible problems are the tail shafts. Most of mine ended up like this. I only found out that all the shafts are dodgy when the gear on this one came away completely from the shaft while in flight

I've noticed my other spare shafts I removed in frustration are going the same way. Today I fitted the Align carbon boom. I don't like bling on my helis but I find a carbon boom has really helped to tighten up the tail end and remove vibrations. I also added the Align metal tail rotor control arm today. Like a lot of people I wish I hadn't bothered with the clone route and gone with Align straight away. Now Align isn't the best quality out there by a long way but I've found their parts way better than HK in terms of quality.

My HK401B gyro also bit the dust today and stopped working. I opened it up to find a component had come off the circuit board I've fitted a tiny gyro which is well suited to the 250. Only problem is there is no gyro travel/limit setting. I have the servo ball link distance at 4.5mm which leaves the travel a bit limited without ability to increase the travel on the gyro. Anyway it now holds brilliantly with no bounce after every rudder input. I had the bounce before fitting the carbon boom, metal rotor control arm and various tail shafts. So that combo has done the trick.

Not sure if this will be a big issue unless I want crazy piro rates?

I lost my carbon pushrod to a jackdaw in the garden . I though that was going to be the magic component to sort out the bounce issues but it turns out it wasn't needed after all.
Last edited by chipbutty; Jun 17, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:05 AM
Joined May 2010
593 Posts
yep, i got fed up with the HK kit, and just ordered a cheap 250 se kit and transferred it over, flys much better now, and i also got rid of the hk401b and got a gp750 and all my tail problems disappeared!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:13 AM
Sunny Sheff, UK
Joined Jul 2008
148 Posts
I guess we live and learn. The thought of the HK600 would fill me with dread and fear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct3dd View Post
yep, i got fed up with the HK kit, and just ordered a cheap 250 se kit and transferred it over, flys much better now, and i also got rid of the hk401b and got a gp750 and all my tail problems disappeared!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:57 AM
Joined May 2010
593 Posts
i would never put my life in that much danger to have one of those, i wouldn't go any bigger than the 250, perhaps not even with align as i wouldn't trust it!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:02 AM
Joined May 2010
593 Posts
forgot to say, i haven't got the 2010 se, so all of the alu parts like the tail holder from the 250gt is actually quite handy, and also the battery holder also, may also put the HK belt drive on the frame which is metal on also, just so it's a bit stronger!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:34 AM
Sunny Sheff, UK
Joined Jul 2008
148 Posts
Yeh, some of the HK250GT parts seem ok, such as the head and tail case. I haven't seen most of the T250 tail parts so can't make a judgment. I replaced the crappy stock tail hub with the Align. I added the after market yellow kevlar belt the other day too. I'm actually hoping I may get to fly this thing properly soon. The most I've managed so far is one circuit!

The first flight ended in disaster when the tail shaft went and the heli plowed into the ground. Of course I still can't shake that FP habit of cutting the throttle when bailing out and you guess it the 250 hit terra firma like an Exocet missile

Do you know if the Align tail shaft fits the HK250GT? I searched the posts in this thread and found some confusing posts.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:39 AM
Joined May 2010
593 Posts
ahh, this is my first heli since my walkera 4#3b, and had been practicing a bit in the sims, on both flights (and crashes - though i got 6 battteries worth! ) i've managed to do inverted flight, loops & rolls. though i can't actually seem to do any circles/squares or any sort of proper flying with it, i think it's nerves as what i was doing is easy, got about 6 packs through it and still have to repair it!

also have the kevlar belt mine is basically all align now except kevlar belt, the hxt900 cyclic and turnigy bats - i have the gp750 gyro, the ds420 that goes with it, the align bl motor and esc!

the problem i have with flying it is that i'm nervous to do anything because i know how fragile it is during crash (usual crash results in a full rebuild!), and so i just end up getting nervous and make a silly mistake. i'm fine with the walkera 4#3b and fine in the sim, so somehow will have to conquer the fear and just go extremely slow with it, and ignore all the 3d stuff for now! to put into perspective, i do not feel confident hovering nose-in with it, though i can on the sim, so any sort of full 360 degree movement i'm scared of!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:45 AM
Joined May 2010
593 Posts
to answer your other post, i saw a post saying that the tail shafts do not fit!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 01:45 PM
Sunny Sheff, UK
Joined Jul 2008
148 Posts
Well, you've managed more battery packs than me outside! Well, inside I've probably put 40 packs through it in an attempt to tame the tail.

It can take a leap of faith to go nose in with bigger helis. You'll be fine if you can do it with the 4/3B. On my brief flight with the 250 I was shocked at how squirelly it felt. It didn't seem to handle the slightest bit of wind well at all. But that could well be because of all the little issues I've been having with the tail. This little thing is and absolute pain to setup well. Bigger helis are much less sensitive.

I'll gradually upgrade with Align bits like yourself and I can see a better gyro will be needed. Quite fancy the Spartan but if I see a GP750 going cheap I'll pick one up. At the moment fancy stuff isn't neccessary for me - a nice gentle flight would be a good start

Not good about the Align tail shaft not fitting. These HK tail shafts scare me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct3dd View Post
ahh, this is my first heli since my walkera 4#3b, and had been practicing a bit in the sims, on both flights (and crashes - though i got 6 battteries worth! ) i've managed to do inverted flight, loops & rolls. though i can't actually seem to do any circles/squares or any sort of proper flying with it, i think it's nerves as what i was doing is easy, got about 6 packs through it and still have to repair it!

also have the kevlar belt mine is basically all align now except kevlar belt, the hxt900 cyclic and turnigy bats - i have the gp750 gyro, the ds420 that goes with it, the align bl motor and esc!

the problem i have with flying it is that i'm nervous to do anything because i know how fragile it is during crash (usual crash results in a full rebuild!), and so i just end up getting nervous and make a silly mistake. i'm fine with the walkera 4#3b and fine in the sim, so somehow will have to conquer the fear and just go extremely slow with it, and ignore all the 3d stuff for now! to put into perspective, i do not feel confident hovering nose-in with it, though i can on the sim, so any sort of full 360 degree movement i'm scared of!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 01:56 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbutty View Post
Yeh, some of the HK250GT parts seem ok, such as the head and tail case. I haven't seen most of the T250 tail parts so can't make a judgment. I replaced the crappy stock tail hub with the Align. I added the after market yellow kevlar belt the other day too. I'm actually hoping I may get to fly this thing properly soon. The most I've managed so far is one circuit!

The first flight ended in disaster when the tail shaft went and the heli plowed into the ground. Of course I still can't shake that FP habit of cutting the throttle when bailing out and you guess it the 250 hit terra firma like an Exocet missile

Do you know if the Align tail shaft fits the HK250GT? I searched the posts in this thread and found some confusing posts.
doesn't fit properly. The Align tail shaft is too narrow for the clone box so it's loose and moves around cause trouble of an already troublesome belt. If you can find a set of the correct sized shims you could shim it but that a lot of work just to find shims and get it set correctly.

Just get an Align box or keep using the clone shafts.

Actually, I had to look again and that is backwards.

The Align shaft will not fit in the clone box it is too wide.

Align vs clone shaft

MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov
Last edited by MakMov; Jun 17, 2010 at 02:02 PM.