chipbutty is offline Find More Posts by chipbutty
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2010, 02:23 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microkites View Post
I worked out how much it cost me to build- not including all the shipping from hk- was aprox $300

and that is using inexpensive equipment!
Give us some rough breakdown, please - I am just curious
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Mar 30, 2010, 04:01 AM
Shut up and talk to me!!
Manila
Joined Aug 2006
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbutty View Post
Thanks Chris. My rotary tool is on the blink so I'll have to think of someway of widening those slots.
You can use a small flat file to widen the holes a bit. The aluminum mount is soft enough for hand tools.
deanc338 is offline Find More Posts by deanc338
Old Mar 30, 2010, 04:09 AM
Shut up and talk to me!!
Manila
Joined Aug 2006
286 Posts
Quote:
I worked out how much it cost me to build- not including all the shipping from hk- was aprox $300
Hmmm? Mine is about US120.00. It came in with two lipo, motor, ESC, programming card, a pair of pinions, T06A rx and some other small none heli related items.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:37 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanc338 View Post
... and some other small none heli related items.
Stickers? Poster of a celebrity? Chocolate bar? LOL (just joking! )
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:40 AM
Shut up and talk to me!!
Manila
Joined Aug 2006
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post
Stickers? Poster of a celebrity? Chocolate bar? LOL (just joking! )
hahaha, some celebrity posters would have been good.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:52 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post
Give us some rough breakdown, please - I am just curious
heli-$60- this is not including shipping!
tail servo-$25- this is only thing I bought best quality- nice hitec 5055mg feathering servo
gyro-$15 hk401b
esc- $15 plush 20a
case-$30 align case
servos-$20 these were esky 8.5g digitals
spares-$20- actually rounded down here- just basic feathering shafts,main shafts, booms blades etc
rx-$40- ar6110e
lipo $25 2-2s- one hyperion cx g3 850mah- $15 and a rhino 2s 750mah $10
motor $20- z-power 4850kv
pinions-9t to 20t $15- this was a kinda splurge- but now I try different cell counts and motors

ok that is $285

lets pretend I got everything @ Hobby King(which I didnt-pinions,lipos,case,rx,motor, tail servo were from other shops)

cheapest shipping was $25 for the heli- so lets add that

$310!

really not much else to cut corners on- and a couple items like the case arent needed for everyone, so a really frugal person might be able to knock $40-50 off- but most are smart enough to order second heli for spares- more cost effective in the long run- but even then, you will also want some nice blades, align feathering shaft, belt etc

so add up the cost before you send off your funds!

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:04 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Cheers,

It's nice eye-opener... But, we all love to deceive ourselves (and others watching over our wallets ) - after all it is only $65 kit, isn't it?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 03:45 PM
Sunny Sheff, UK
Joined Jul 2008
148 Posts
I've installed the head and main gear. Seems the shaft bolt under the gear should be tightened just enough to stop any free play on that part of the shaft? In other words not tight but threadlocked obviously. For now I've tightened it just enough so the bearing doesn't bind with no play and the one way bearing does its thing. Main gear is fairly stiff when I turn it by hand, it won't spin freely if I give it a push. Stripped it down and the gear runs freely if attached to the shaft when not in the frame so it must be one of the bearing blocks. Feels reasonably smooth so maybe it will free up in time. Slight notchy feeling from the main gear as it's a little high in one spot where it meets the tail gear.

Glad HK used torx screws. Wish they were used more often.

Update - Just watched the Finless Trex 250 video on head setup and the head on his spins and spins. Not liking the look of mine. Stiff as a board. Is this normal for the HK250GT?

http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...=headsetup.wmv
Last edited by chipbutty; Mar 30, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 03:50 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Yeah, the torx screws were a nice bonus, I actually replaced the screws in the Align parts that I purchased (such as the Align metal tail assembly) with the HK-250GT torx screws, and ordered extra hardware bags from HobbyCity just to have plenty of those torx screws.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:47 PM
Rochester, MN
Joined Mar 2010
34 Posts
microkites - I'm just about to order a HK-250GT and was needing suggestions on the hardware/electronics needed. That's for the listing! And, yes, it's an eye opener to what the final cost is, but don't you think you're getting a better product this way, and actually less expensive then buying a RTF one?
mncowboy969 is offline Find More Posts by mncowboy969
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:14 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mncowboy969 View Post
microkites - I'm just about to order a HK-250GT and was needing suggestions on the hardware/electronics needed. That's for the listing! And, yes, it's an eye opener to what the final cost is, but don't you think you're getting a better product this way, and actually less expensive then buying a RTF one?
yes I do

wanna buy mine??

ready to go!

mk

remember I went for a higher kv motor because hk was out of the lower kv- so mine is mostly 2s- but I can put 10t pinion on it to fly it on 3s
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:21 PM
Sunny Sheff, UK
Joined Jul 2008
148 Posts
It's still stiff I'm guessing the one way bearing is bad? Doesn't feel notchy or binding in any way, just stiff. Stripped it down twice and it's pretty stiff when not in the frame. Tempted now to get the align gear and one way bearing. But that defeats the idea of getting a cost effective clone if I have to put Align parts on.

Also have a missing part. The vertical stabiliser mount that attaches to the tail housing and fin. I guess the stock Align part will fit?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:56 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbutty View Post
It's still stiff I'm guessing the one way bearing is bad? Doesn't feel notchy or binding in any way, just stiff. Stripped it down twice and it's pretty stiff when not in the frame. Tempted now to get the align gear and one way bearing. But that defeats the idea of getting a cost effective clone if I have to put Align parts on.

Also have a missing part. The vertical stabiliser mount that attaches to the tail housing and fin. I guess the stock Align part will fit?
would try again on the 1-way- mine did that and then it went together smooth

think has to do with the tension on the washer

part your thinking of that is missing doesnt come with the HK kit

doesnt need it either- vertical fin just screws direct to tail case
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:04 PM
Rochester, MN
Joined Mar 2010
34 Posts
Quote:
yes I do

wanna buy mine??

ready to go!

mk

remember I went for a higher kv motor because hk was out of the lower kv- so mine is mostly 2s- but I can put 10t pinion on it to fly it on 3s

microkites - LOL Well, since I'm a newbie at this, and wanting the experience, then I'll go for the new frame and parts. Well, unless you're going to give a fellow Oregonian (mis-placed in Minnesota right now) a bargain basement deal. LOL

Thanks for the infor on the higher kv motor. Any suggestions on what size motor, or any other parts other than what you put in yours, would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 450 coming to me, if I ever get the parts from HK. LOL It's getting close to a month now. But, since I've only flown coaxial helicopters, I figured maybe a 250 may be a better starting point than the 450. Plus, I've got some acreage at my place, but also have some trees on it. So, figured that a 250 will be better to have "fewer" entaglements with tree branches, etc. And, last but not least, it's a smaller piece of plastic and metal to drop out of the sky. LMAO

So, I'm open to any ideas, suggestions, etc. from any and all!

Thanks!
Ron
mncowboy969 is offline Find More Posts by mncowboy969