SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:43 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,697 Posts
A lot of people say that gyro is not good for this heli but I talked to a guy who said the later revisions with the delay feature fixes the wag of death problem. Have you hooked this up to power yet and run the servos? When I ran HXT900 on a 450 with a digital tail, the 900's glitched like crazy. I had to put another 900 on the tail. Check for that, sometimes you can't mix digital and analog servos, sometimes you can.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:34 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,402 Posts
I'm very interested in seeing if the ASSAN GA-250 has been updated, my experience wasn't very good. Keep us posted!

ASSAN GA-250 Wag of Death and Crash - HK-250GT (1 min 0 sec)
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:52 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post
No, just 2S, the guai fuselages are very light made from polystyrene only 0.25mm thick, very fragile too though. I can remember when I got the ep100 having difficulty getting it to lift off until I increased the pitch curve so that there is about 3 degrees positive at 50% throttle.
Yeah - I ended up with some strange looking curves as well
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:59 AM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
We'll see its brand new now, that wag of death thing looks like some sort of feedback loop that screws the whole system up. Obviously, start cheap here and see where it goes. But i think in the vid that is over gained. Also no issue with the digi align tail servo being mixed with the HXTs but you could probably wrap the lead round ferrous ring to stop that anyway.
timmy1234 is offline Find More Posts by timmy1234
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:48 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,697 Posts
I tried a ferrite ring, it made no difference at all. I'm not using HXT's in heli builds any more anyway except for my one. I want one heli with ridiculously cheap equipment. They really arent that bad servos. Great for planes.

Brian, yes I saw your video, I have other gyros I trust but none have the nice tiny size of that GA-250. Did you use the delay function or did you even have that option when you made that video. I spoke to a couple people that said they can now use it with a 250 for sport flying just fine. I hate to stick my HUGE futaba GY401 on that tiny heli.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
Personally i like the idea of the HXTs being a weak link and they are cheap to replace. Rather they give and break than something more important in the head. Ive connected the electronics together and no glitching between the servos at the moment.

We shall see on the gyro issue prob next week, though that video does seem to suggest some sort of weird feedback loop with the electronics, I definately have a delay on mine i would think that would go along way to fixing that sort of thing it appears to be bouncing and immediately compensating more and more ending in an oscillation rather than smoothing and holding
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:43 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post

Brian, yes I saw your video, I have other gyros I trust but none have the nice tiny size of that GA-250. Did you use the delay function or did you even have that option when you made that video. I spoke to a couple people that said they can now use it with a 250 for sport flying just fine. I hate to stick my HUGE futaba GY401 on that tiny heli.
There was no delay function at the time. I replaced it with a Tarot GY-650 which is about the same size and had a lot more functionality. That was the best performing gyro I found for this helicopter (before I found the CopterX/Tarot FBL units).

I see now that a delay function has been added - I used the HobbyKing G401B gyro with acceptable results by using a lot of delay - there may yet be hope for the GA-250! If it performs well, I'll annotate the video.
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:04 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,697 Posts
Well currentlt I plan to give it a try. Have to build my Align 450 first though. Such a backlog. When I was a kid, more time than money. Now it's the other way around! I'm used to smashing my helis on first try anyway so who cares!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:21 PM
Will work for JR/Spektrum
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,581 Posts
finally.. the last of my parts are almost here, according to tracking. Both of the 850's are charged, the dx7 is set up and all I have to do is put the final three bits in, and she's airborne.
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:29 AM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
So tomorrow I should be able to start testing that gyro. Still way short of the cost of T-REX though so money for more upgrades if need be to get it flying good!

Including adding a reciever will be 150.00 all in on this, that is for everything:

HK250GT kit, HXT900 cyclic servos, align motor, ds425 tail servo, gyro, 25A plush esc, align carbon blades, align tail blades, trex250 se canopy (supplied HK250 one BROKE IMMEDIATELY when detaching from frame!!), align boom instead, align feathering shaft, better tail belt

lets hope it just flies well to start with
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:16 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
good luck guys. happy flyin!
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:55 PM
Will work for JR/Spektrum
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,581 Posts
thanks.

i think in the next month or two, once i'm used to how the bird flies, i'll throw a flybarless head on it, and see how fun that will be.
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:25 AM
Joined Dec 2012
51 Posts
Hi, I am planning to build my first CP heli, and was looking to HK250GT, Maybe some of you guys point me as to what parts I need to get it done, I am planning to get all parts from hobbyking. And please on the budget side, minus the TX/RX as I have a FS-T6 already.

Thanks.
nolivy is offline Find More Posts by nolivy
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:54 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,697 Posts
Not a good first cp heli or build. I am building one soon and it might just be a shelf queen. Many are never able to get it to fly and give up. I would get a HK450GT if I were you.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
You can do it, just have patience and you will get there. Biggest pain in the bum is dealing with the microscopic screws!! Just use a decent fast digital servo for the tail, DS425 i have appears superfast First spin up the tail gear moved up and left a few shavings everywhere, so glued it in correct position ands it ok now. But will def still do the upgrade to align metal tail gear. I still need to move the swashplate up a bit as i can get more negative pitch than positive but will deal with that some other time. At least now the pitch links are the same length it will hover around mid stick! Flew mine round the room today, the gyro seems to be ok. In head holding mode its rock solid (admittedly all i have been doing is slow hover and circles indoors!). I have it set at 40% / 56% with DX6i gain switch (this i think equals 20% actual gain rate mode and 12% head hold?) I have set the delay on 3 in ASSAN. Pretty smooth actually, a lot smoother than my other crappy ccpm plastic heli and the sound of the purring blades from the extra headspeed is a lot more satifying. Hopefully weather may improve one day and i can take it outside for disassembly..!

Edit: Next i will build a 450GT i think. And the parts are actually the same price as a 250 size anyway
Last edited by timmy1234; Feb 09, 2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: 2nd build time now then