HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:26 PM
Registered User
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,754 Posts
After another failed flybar 450 attempt today, I am considering selling my HK250gt kit. Why are they so hard to fly. I can fly micro collective pitch and fly in the sim just fine. The 250 will only be harder.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:02 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
After another failed flybar 450 attempt today, I am considering selling my HK250gt kit. Why are they so hard to fly. I can fly micro collective pitch and fly in the sim just fine. The 250 will only be harder.
Hang in there. 450s' are a whole lot faster than micro cp's and a lot more intimidating, plus if you crash a 450 just lightly it's going to cost you quite a bit. Hey guys I've been hitting the sim pretty hard lately trying to learn how to do some inverted flying. I'm finally at the point where I'm ready to try it on a real heli. I took my 450 out to the field yesterday just to do some testing, no inverted stuff, but I just wanted to test the new head block I put on it. What came as a shock to me was while I was in the air I seemed to be getting my stick movements all backwards. What use to be somewhat instinctive is now unsure, especially nose-in. So I quickly ended the test and landed before things got ugly. It seems as though I'm learning inverted flight at the expense of normal flight, is that normal?
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:24 AM
3D VFX Artist
tonyastro's Avatar
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
After over a year I finally got rid of the cyclic wobble on my 250 with CopterX FBL gyro. I changed the blades to plastic! I'm wondering what the problem was with CF blades. They were balanced and seemed perfect. No matter how low I made the cyclic gain it would still wobble. Too stiff?
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:43 AM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
If you tighten the blades too much, they will cause vibrations and if you leave them too lose, you'll also get problems. So make sure they're snug but not too tight or too lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyastro View Post
After over a year I finally got rid of the cyclic wobble on my 250 with CopterX FBL gyro. I changed the blades to plastic! I'm wondering what the problem was with CF blades. They were balanced and seemed perfect. No matter how low I made the cyclic gain it would still wobble. Too stiff?
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:40 AM
3D VFX Artist
tonyastro's Avatar
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
If you tighten the blades too much, they will cause vibrations and if you leave them too lose, you'll also get problems. So make sure they're snug but not too tight or too lose.
Thanks I'll try that with my CF blades
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:13 PM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
After another failed flybar 450 attempt today, I am considering selling my HK250gt kit. Why are they so hard to fly. I can fly micro collective pitch and fly in the sim just fine. The 250 will only be harder.
The micro flybarless will almost level and fly its self . I know , A flybar needs almost constant correction .
The best advice i can give is on the sim practice , till you get it perfect ,and use something similar . Not flybarless on the sim and add some wind like 5mph .
then practice that on the real thing . Don't even try forward flight yet . the problem is and i had the same problem is i would forget how to correct it if i got into trouble , and down she would go .
Trust me , it is the most boring thing in the world , almost learning to type , but you should be flying in a few weeks .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:16 PM
Registered User
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,754 Posts
Well it's the time fixing between crashes that takes so long. You don't learn much from a 10 second hover and then you don't even know what happened. Everyone says that an mcpx type heli is the hardest to fly and that a 450 should be easy after that. They are all wrong? Seems so from my experience.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:16 PM
Low rates are for wimps
bwoollia's Avatar
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
The micro flybarless will almost level and fly its self . I know , A flybar needs almost constant correction .
The best advice i can give is on the sim practice , till you get it perfect ,and use something similar . Not flybarless on the sim and add some wind like 5mph .
then practice that on the real thing . Don't even try forward flight yet . the problem is and i had the same problem is i would forget how to correct it if i got into trouble , and down she would go .
Trust me , it is the most boring thing in the world , almost learning to type , but you should be flying in a few weeks .
The key to sim flying is have a goal each sim session - don't just fly around. Practice hovering in the wind, or nose in hovering, precision circuits. You'll see progress and it'll be more rewarding. Just buzzing around gets boring really fast, and you won't learn anything!
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:19 PM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen 1 View Post
What came as a shock to me was while I was in the air I seemed to be getting my stick movements all backwards. What use to be somewhat instinctive is now unsure, especially nose-in. So I quickly ended the test and landed before things got ugly. It seems as though I'm learning inverted flight at the expense of normal flight, is that normal?
Yes its normal . when i was learning to fly planes in the early 90's ,the instructor told me to learn something new always add what you learned previously or you will get confused later . If your going inverted throw in a upward left turn , or a flip but always go back to normal flying till it becomes second nature .

Hey , if i can do it , You definitely could
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:24 PM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
The key to sim flying is have a goal each sim session - don't just fly around. Practice hovering in the wind, or nose in hovering, precision circuits. You'll see progress and it'll be more rewarding. Just buzzing around gets boring really fast, and you won't learn anything!
Yes , That's what i was trying to say too you just said it a lot better than i did
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:52 PM
Registered User
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,754 Posts
So maybe I will keep the kit for now. Not like it's worth anything, and I already ordered the kevlar belt and align shafts. I got all this stuff as a newbie with plans to build it and have no time or skill I guess. I'm a dad of two and after work and family there is not much spare time. When I was a kid I had one or two models and gained skill with them (cars). Now I have more than I can fly and gain little skill. Well, I am gaining skill with airplanes, love 'em. I have this 250 kit and the orange servos for it. motor and esc too. Also an Align 450 super combo and another hk450 flybarless kit with all needed accessories. But I don't want to build any of them until I can fly my two pos 450's. I'm not even going to mention my planes, at least I can fly them. I'm beginning to think that my hobby is not RC at all, but shopping at HobbyKing!
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:23 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Eventually it will wear off, then you can start doing the hobby a little bit at a time. And this also includes the hobbyking shopping. Some things are better priced at other places too believe it or not. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
So maybe I will keep the kit for now. Not like it's worth anything, and I already ordered the kevlar belt and align shafts. I got all this stuff as a newbie with plans to build it and have no time or skill I guess. I'm a dad of two and after work and family there is not much spare time. When I was a kid I had one or two models and gained skill with them (cars). Now I have more than I can fly and gain little skill. Well, I am gaining skill with airplanes, love 'em. I have this 250 kit and the orange servos for it. motor and esc too. Also an Align 450 super combo and another hk450 flybarless kit with all needed accessories. But I don't want to build any of them until I can fly my two pos 450's. I'm not even going to mention my planes, at least I can fly them. I'm beginning to think that my hobby is not RC at all, but shopping at HobbyKing!
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:53 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
So maybe I will keep the kit for now. Not like it's worth anything, and I already ordered the kevlar belt and align shafts. I got all this stuff as a newbie with plans to build it and have no time or skill I guess. I'm a dad of two and after work and family there is not much spare time. When I was a kid I had one or two models and gained skill with them (cars). Now I have more than I can fly and gain little skill. Well, I am gaining skill with airplanes, love 'em. I have this 250 kit and the orange servos for it. motor and esc too. Also an Align 450 super combo and another hk450 flybarless kit with all needed accessories. But I don't want to build any of them until I can fly my two pos 450's. I'm not even going to mention my planes, at least I can fly them. I'm beginning to think that my hobby is not RC at all, but shopping at HobbyKing!
You have all the skills, you can fly planes, and micro cp's, you should have no problems flying a 450, it just takes time. I would build the 250, even though it's harder to fly to fly, it's more crash resistant. I always try new stuff on my 250 before I try it on the 450. I just recently bought a micro cp to learn inverted flight on, but the micro seems to have tail problems once inverted. So until I figure out how to fix the micro's tail, the 250 is going to be the test bed, once I become confident on the 250, I'll flip the 450.
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:53 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
Yes its normal . when i was learning to fly planes in the early 90's ,the instructor told me to learn something new always add what you learned previously or you will get confused later . If your going inverted throw in a upward left turn , or a flip but always go back to normal flying till it becomes second nature .

Hey , if i can do it , You definitely could
Thanks, that makes sense.
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:53 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen 1 View Post
You have all the skills, you can fly planes, and micro cp's, you should have no problems flying a 450, it just takes time. I would build the 250, even though it's harder to fly to fly, it's more crash resistant. I always try new stuff on my 250 before I try it on the 450. I just recently bought a micro cp to learn inverted flight on, but the micro seems to have tail problems once inverted. So until I figure out how to fix the micro's tail, the 250 is going to be the test bed, once I become confident on the 250, I'll flip the 450.
Watt micro CP do you have? Perhaps I can help.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Nitroplanes Lander 70mm F9F Panther EDF Build Log and Review The Don Foamy EDFs 38 Jun 03, 2014 11:09 PM
Discussion Official HeliMax AXE CP Thread with pics post em here!!?.. darklyte24 Micro Helis 10603 Mar 27, 2014 07:49 PM
GWS Spitfire Build thread (with glassing tutorial) David Winter GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 156 Sep 14, 2009 06:42 AM
Discussion Build log or review for BulleT? raycsr Electric Sailplanes 3 Jan 30, 2009 02:03 PM
looking for build thread with upclose photos HIGHFLYER99 Foamies (Kits) 13 May 21, 2005 09:54 PM