HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:45 AM
Gaui X3, RTF Mini Quad
BladeScraper's Avatar
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
3,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
get a quark
I am 13... I can't spend $130 on a gyro...
BladeScraper is online now Find More Posts by BladeScraper
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:10 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Here are two cheap options if you're just learning and on a tight budget. But you still have to order it online. I have used the first one, but not the second. Don't get the gy48 for the 250, it's also a little too big for it. It works better on a 450 not so great on the 250. You may want to try the second one for 3d since some guys weren't too crazy with the first option here. I'm not doing 3D though. In any case, you said budget so these are budget.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...EMS_Gyro_.html

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-420-mems...en-p-4620.html


Quote:
Originally Posted by kpilot786457 View Post
I am 13... I can't spend $130 on a gyro...
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Dec 30, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:07 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Okay, I'm doing it...one 250 kit is for sale now.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1798641
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:34 AM
No Longer Active
pitchp's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpilot786457 View Post
I am 13... I can't spend $130 on a gyro...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Spartan-Q...item257924db3b
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:51 AM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Here are two cheap options if you're just learning and on a tight budget. But you still have to order it online. I have used the first one, but not the second. Don't get the gy48 for the 250, it's also a little too big for it. It works better on a 450 not so great on the 250. You may want to try the second one for 3d since some guys weren't too crazy with the first option here. I'm not doing 3D though. In any case, you said budget so these are budget.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...EMS_Gyro_.html

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-420-mems...en-p-4620.html
efx , the second one you linked to looks like the e-flight mems gyro they sell for 65.00. From what I have read , it's a real good gyro.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:31 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
efx in your for sale post you said you glued the 250's tail gear? What do you mean by that? I have a tail issue with one of my 250s and that might the fix.
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:19 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
The belt gear that meshes with the main gear tends to eventually come lose and shifts up making you lose tail control. So I use 5 minute epoxy to glue them down. Don't use CA, that doesn't work and will just come off again. Ask me how I know. Now they work fine. It happened on both helis for me so I just glued all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen 1 View Post
efx in your for sale post you said you glued the 250's tail gear? What do you mean by that? I have a tail issue with one of my 250s and that might the fix.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:33 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
The belt gear that meshes with the main gear tends to eventually come lose and shifts up making you lose tail control. So I use 5 minute epoxy to glue them down. Don't use CA, that doesn't work and will just come off again. Ask me how I know. Now they work fine. It happened on both helis for me so I just glued all of them.
Thanks efx. Is there anyway of checking? I think my belt gear could be slipping, but when I try to spin the main gear when holding the tail rotor it will not move. I'm losing
my tail and I can't figure out why.
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:34 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
eltreato's Avatar
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
The belt gear that meshes with the main gear tends to eventually come lose and shifts up making you lose tail control. So I use 5 minute epoxy to glue them down. Don't use CA, that doesn't work and will just come off again. Ask me how I know. Now they work fine. It happened on both helis for me so I just glued all of them.
Perhaps this is the problem with my heli, where I lose tail authority a few seconds after takeoff. I don't have it in front of me now though and am just trying to picture how one can glue a gear to prevent it from sliding up. Is there an easy way to check on the workbench if this is my problem?
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:45 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
Perhaps this is the problem with my heli, where I lose tail authority a few seconds after takeoff. I don't have it in front of me now though and am just trying to picture how one can glue a gear to prevent it from sliding up. Is there an easy way to check on the workbench if this is my problem?
Is the spin counter clock wise?
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:57 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,933 Posts
You test for a slipping tail gear by holding the head and rotating the tail rotor by hand.

You should (with some force) be able to get it to jump a tooth on the belt. But it should not move smoothly without the belt jumping.

If it is bad replacing with an Align part is a good idea.

Other possibility is a bad belt.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:05 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
You test for a slipping tail gear by holding the head and rotating the tail rotor by hand.

You should (with some force) be able to get it to jump a tooth on the belt. But it should not move smoothly without the belt jumping.

If it is bad replacing with an Align part is a good idea.

Other possibility is a bad belt.
Did the test and everything checks out, so that rules that out. I'll keep playing with it, hopefully I'll figure it out.
Thanks
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:50 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
If you're still losing your tail after checking the gear, the problem is your tail boom holder. I had one that was tighten all the way, but was still lose and that's the reason the belt felt like it was either stretched or bad. Check this after flight test to see if the belt losens up after that. If it does then you need to sand one side of the tailboom holder to make sure it really holds the boom tight. Both my helis use all the stock parts. They work fine after you get all the kinks taken cared off, if you have problems with your kit. Don't forget to put a screw on the tail between the fin as well to keep that from turning on you and snug in those fin screws. This takes care of the tail, but if you bump it hard on the ground it will losen it. So just keep an eye on it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen 1 View Post
Thanks efx. Is there anyway of checking? I think my belt gear could be slipping, but when I try to spin the main gear when holding the tail rotor it will not move. I'm losing
my tail and I can't figure out why.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:23 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
eltreato's Avatar
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
You test for a slipping tail gear by holding the head and rotating the tail rotor by hand.

You should (with some force) be able to get it to jump a tooth on the belt. But it should not move smoothly without the belt jumping.

If it is bad replacing with an Align part is a good idea.

Other possibility is a bad belt.
Roger that, I've been hesitant up until now to try this thinking it could lead to belt damage. For the record I'm running a kevlar aftermarket belt as I've heard bad things about the stock ones. I will give this a try, without applying too much force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen 1 View Post
Is the spin counter clock wise?
I believe so, though to be honest it happened in the blink of an eye, I was just trying to bring it down as right side up as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
If you're still losing your tail after checking the gear, the problem is your tail boom holder. I had one that was tighten all the way, but was still lose and that's the reason the belt felt like it was either stretched or bad. Check this after flight test to see if the belt losens up after that. If it does then you need to sand one side of the tailboom holder to make sure it really holds the boom tight. Both my helis use all the stock parts. They work fine after you get all the kinks taken cared off, if you have problems with your kit. Don't forget to put a screw on the tail between the fin as well to keep that from turning on you and snug in those fin screws. This takes care of the tail, but if you bump it hard on the ground it will losen it. So just keep an eye on it.
Will do, thanks!
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:32 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
Roger that, I've been hesitant up until now to try this thinking it could lead to belt damage. For the record I'm running a kevlar aftermarket belt as I've heard bad things about the stock ones. I will give this a try, without applying too much force.
Yeah, don't over do it to the point of breaking something.
It is pretty obvious when they are slipping.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Nitroplanes Lander 70mm F9F Panther EDF Build Log and Review The Don Foamy EDFs 38 Jun 03, 2014 11:09 PM
Discussion Official HeliMax AXE CP Thread with pics post em here!!?.. darklyte24 Micro Helis 10603 Mar 27, 2014 07:49 PM
GWS Spitfire Build thread (with glassing tutorial) David Winter GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 156 Sep 14, 2009 06:42 AM
Discussion Build log or review for BulleT? raycsr Electric Sailplanes 3 Jan 30, 2009 02:03 PM
looking for build thread with upclose photos HIGHFLYER99 Foamies (Kits) 13 May 21, 2005 09:54 PM