SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
efx what exactly does the flymentor do? If keeps you from crashing I definitely need one, It seems like that's all I can do lately. I'm wondering when will all of this crashing end.
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:54 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,203 Posts
It's supposed to help keep your heli level so you can learn to fly without all that crashing. Don't feel bad, we have all been there. I've finally learned to get off the ground without it and I really don't need it now, but I wanted something to help me practice nose in, but so far I have not had any luck getting it to work. At the moment I can't recommend it. I would just keep going without it. Just use a 450 heli to learn though. The 250 flies, but it takes way more work to make them fly as the quality of them is not quite there. I used to just watch all the videos of people flying and then trying things out myself and well asking the guys on this forum. That's how I learned I still don't know anyone near me that I can go ask anything abou a heli. So it's doable, it just takes a long time. I think I break the record though, I started trying to learn about helis since 2000 and only recently learned to get off the ground. Too many times I wanted to give up, but I always had this thing that I wanted to learn to fly them so after crashing I just went back and put the darn thing back together. It takes time, but if I can learn to get off the ground you can too. Just start with the finless videos to get you going. They help quite a bit, then you can ask all the questions you like. My problem was I never asked questions beacause I didn't want to feel stupid. But the guys on these forums are very patient and will chime in wherever they can. I guess it's true, the only real question is the one you don't ask because then you just won't know.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen 1 View Post
efx what exactly does the flymentor do? If keeps you from crashing I definitely need one, It seems like that's all I can do lately. I'm wondering when will all of this crashing end.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:02 AM
Registered User
mhills51's Avatar
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,833 Posts
You know I did the same thing and it is a waist of money, because if you think like that you also think I need to fix this as soon as I can.

Also you will find that you don't want to go back up right after a crash! I have left the field after someone else crashed just because I knew it was a bad day!
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:05 AM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,203 Posts
Crashing is never a good thing and it can get expensive, but in my case it just made me want to figure it out more and push myself more. It's been a goal for me to learn and I don't bother making any goals because everything can always change...this one was just one of those things for me that I have always wanted to do. So in short I guess the only advice I can give anyone is to do what your confortable with. There's more than one way to go about it. If this doesn't work for you, just do whatever works for you.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Dec 20, 2012 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:24 AM
No Longer Active
pitchp's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Well said efx
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:46 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,415 Posts
X2 EFX
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:09 AM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,203 Posts
Thanks guys, I just hope that helps people and that no one will take it the wrong way. In any case, I just uploaded a video showing what the flymentor does. It's dark but still viewable. The light is on but I guess the camera goes by whatever background it sees. I knew the heli doesn't fly so this is why I did it. Plus its very cold and dark outside so this is also why I like the 250. I forgot to mention that I have also turned my throttle curve way down.
Flymentor test after trying to get it going...never flew. (2 min 29 sec)
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:53 AM
No Longer Active
pitchp's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
efx have you tried this informative thread

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=176266

also this instructional video?

Flymentor - Complete Setup Video (Dx6i) (11 min 31 sec)
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:04 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
Can you imagine a 250 hover without any hands!
Mine does that - ever thought of trying FBL ???
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:50 AM
No Longer Active
pitchp's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Mine does that - ever thought of trying FBL ???
my monster rx plays a huge problem with my fbl adventure. I might just put if off till i get more courage
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:40 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
my monster rx plays a huge problem with my fbl adventure. I might just put if off till i get more courage
Ahh - I'd forgotten about that, can you not just remove the case from the receiver - or buy a 90-size heli so that your Rx fits
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:10 AM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Thanks guys, I just hope that helps people and that no one will take it the wrong way. In any case, I just uploaded a video showing what the flymentor does. It's dark but still viewable. The light is on but I guess the camera goes by whatever background it sees. I knew the heli doesn't fly so this is why I did it. Plus its very cold and dark outside so this is also why I like the 250. I forgot to mention that I have also turned my throttle curve way down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTDkPp-9Cmg
It appears in the video that the tail gyro is reversed. When you set this up, you need to make sure the direction is set in the flymentor first. Then make sure your tail servo reacts correctly when you move the tail. Then make sure the stick also move the servo correctly. It it's incorrect, as you touch the stick for rudder control, the gyro tries to compensate, only on the wrong direction making the situation worse by going into uncontrlable spin.
You need the flymentor balance control set to your mix switch. I use 3 settings, one for off, one for balance mode, and one for positioning.
The tail gyro is on the gear switch, with settings for rate or heading hold mode.
Yes, you can use a different tail gyro and still maintain the flymentor balance and positioning system. Ivor Hill's thread on helifreak has lots of info on that.
The flymentor tail gyro is probably a better choice to get it setup though, as it is probably better than the 401 gyro anyway.
One thing you have to remember is the binding must be done with the Heli in a level position. You need to power it up and don't touch it with the Heli level and not moving until the system has initialized. One of the bad features on this system.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:08 AM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Thanks guys, I just hope that helps people and that no one will take it the wrong way. In any case, I just uploaded a video showing what the flymentor does. It's dark but still viewable. The light is on but I guess the camera goes by whatever background it sees. I knew the heli doesn't fly so this is why I did it. Plus its very cold and dark outside so this is also why I like the 250. I forgot to mention that I have also turned my throttle curve way down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTDkPp-9Cmg
Efx ,do you have a simulator? I gotta tell you that it makes a huge difference.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:13 AM
No Longer Active
pitchp's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
It appears in the video that the tail gyro is reversed. When you set this up, you need to make sure the direction is set in the flymentor first. Then make sure your tail servo reacts correctly when you move the tail. Then make sure the stick also move the servo correctly. It it's incorrect, as you touch the stick for rudder control, the gyro tries to compensate, only on the wrong direction making the situation worse by going into uncontrlable spin.
You need the flymentor balance control set to your mix switch. I use 3 settings, one for off, one for balance mode, and one for positioning.
The tail gyro is on the gear switch, with settings for rate or heading hold mode.
Yes, you can use a different tail gyro and still maintain the flymentor balance and positioning system. Ivor Hill's thread on helifreak has lots of info on that.
The flymentor tail gyro is probably a better choice to get it setup though, as it is probably better than the 401 gyro anyway.
One thing you have to remember is the binding must be done with the Heli in a level position. You need to power it up and don't touch it with the Heli level and not moving until the system has initialized. One of the bad features on this system.
wow you have someone here that actually owns a flymentor. There is now hope for your project efx!!! let us know how you go!
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:31 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
It's supposed to help keep your heli level so you can learn to fly without all that crashing. Don't feel bad, we have all been there. I've finally learned to get off the ground without it and I really don't need it now, but I wanted something to help me practice nose in, but so far I have not had any luck getting it to work. At the moment I can't recommend it. I would just keep going without it. Just use a 450 heli to learn though. The 250 flies, but it takes way more work to make them fly as the quality of them is not quite there. I used to just watch all the videos of people flying and then trying things out myself and well asking the guys on this forum. That's how I learned I still don't know anyone near me that I can go ask anything abou a heli. So it's doable, it just takes a long time. I think I break the record though, I started trying to learn about helis since 2000 and only recently learned to get off the ground. Too many times I wanted to give up, but I always had this thing that I wanted to learn to fly them so after crashing I just went back and put the darn thing back together. It takes time, but if I can learn to get off the ground you can too. Just start with the finless videos to get you going. They help quite a bit, then you can ask all the questions you like. My problem was I never asked questions beacause I didn't want to feel stupid. But the guys on these forums are very patient and will chime in wherever they can. I guess it's true, the only real question is the one you don't ask because then you just won't know.
efx I'm an old R/C car guy I have been racing nitro and electric cars for many years, we have an old saying and it goes like this "you ain't racing if you ain't crashing".
I read some where on one of these forums, almost the same thing "you ain't flying if you ain't crashing", the big difference is in r/c car racing you flip the car over and continue to race, but that's definitely not the case with r/c helicopters.
I really did not have a clue about flying, I found out the hard way about flying into the sun last winter, or flying when there is too much wind. Now I'm circuit flying, mainly doing figure 8s and circles, but I'm starting to do stunts like backwards rolls and side wards rolls, and there is where all the crashing is starting to haunt me again. I'm still flying in normal mode, but I would like to do some inverted flying(not 3d), but just sports flying. I know this will require me to learn how to fly in idle-up mode, which has already cost me three hard crashes by just flipping that darn switch! I am now at the point where I could put a helicopter together with my eyes closed.
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1
Last edited by mugen 1; Dec 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Nitroplanes Lander 70mm F9F Panther EDF Build Log and Review The Don Foamy EDFs 38 Jun 03, 2014 11:09 PM
Discussion Official HeliMax AXE CP Thread with pics post em here!!?.. darklyte24 Micro Helis 10603 Mar 27, 2014 07:49 PM
GWS Spitfire Build thread (with glassing tutorial) David Winter GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 156 Sep 14, 2009 06:42 AM
Discussion Build log or review for BulleT? raycsr Electric Sailplanes 3 Jan 30, 2009 02:03 PM
looking for build thread with upclose photos HIGHFLYER99 Foamies (Kits) 13 May 21, 2005 09:54 PM