HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:34 PM
Flying high since '85
Corvallis, Oregon
Joined Apr 2001
516 Posts
So I replaced the main shaft, and a bunch of tail pieces to get everything running smooth. I worked on the tail linkage to make sure there was no binding, etc. I started to spool it up, and then I noticed it went from a nice smooth sound to a friction filled sound. I didn't like where that was heading so I eased the throttle back. I brought it back inside, and noticed that the tail rotor housing is now angled 10 degrees plus clockwise if I am looking at it from the rear. Hmmm...
rdogg32 is offline Find More Posts by rdogg32
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:45 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Had that happen to my 450 at a hover. Didn't go so well
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:48 PM
Flying high since '85
Corvallis, Oregon
Joined Apr 2001
516 Posts
No damage, thankfully, but it appears for some reason the tail is bent on rotating that way. Usually there is a pin to lock it, but I am noticing that mine has the holes in both the boom and tail housing, but no pin...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:02 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdogg32 View Post
No damage, thankfully, but it appears for some reason the tail is bent on rotating that way. Usually there is a pin to lock it, but I am noticing that mine has the holes in both the boom and tail housing, but no pin...
Can you take a picture of this please
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:20 AM
Flying high since '85
Corvallis, Oregon
Joined Apr 2001
516 Posts
Here is a photo of what I mean. It shows where the hole is, and where some sort of pin should be, as well as the result of trying to spool it up. The clockwise movement pictured is fairly minimal compared to the first time, where it was 2-3 times that much movement.

After these were taken I tried some more tweaks and another run-up. The tail rotor basically vibrated itself to destruction. Three screws backed out right before I cut the throttle. There is a high frequency vibration, which may be the cause of the tail misbehaving. It seems to either wag wildly and make noise, or it is smooth, but requires me to hold full right rudder to keep it straight.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:57 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
You didn't mount your tail fin!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:08 AM
Flying high since '85
Corvallis, Oregon
Joined Apr 2001
516 Posts
Tail fin was removed to expose the hole. It is mounted in the other picture, and in all test flights.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:21 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdogg32 View Post
Tail fin was removed to expose the hole. It is mounted in the other picture, and in all test flights.
Did you mount this aswell? you should of got a plastic version of this

Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:05 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Welp I finally pulled the trigger for a spartan quark! $77 brand new sealed in a box! it's a bargain!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Spartan-Q...item2575bd648f

Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:54 AM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
My hk kit did not come with that piece pitchp. I'll have to see how well my tail will hold without it. Still waiting on my new rotor head. Haven't even flown mine once and I built it three weeks ago.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:05 AM
Flying high since '85
Corvallis, Oregon
Joined Apr 2001
516 Posts
Nope. Neither kit (I purchased two) came with that piece. I currently have a set screw in its place. Seems to work for now. Still battling the lack of tail control/wild behavior. I will see if I can narrow down some of the possible causes today, weather permitting.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:27 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Take off a 7 and then it's a bargain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
Welp I finally pulled the trigger for a spartan quark! $77 brand new sealed in a box! it's a bargain!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Spartan-Q...item2575bd648f

efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:05 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
My hk kit did not come with that piece pitchp. I'll have to see how well my tail will hold without it. Still waiting on my new rotor head. Haven't even flown mine once and I built it three weeks ago.
I put a screw in there. I shortened the screw with a dremel so that it does touch the belt
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:23 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I finally decided to sit down and take out that lose tail belt gear again. Don't use CA glue (aka crazy glue) to try to put them back. It doesn't work! I went ahead and took out the 5 minute epoxy because I just don't feel like paying 5 plus bucks for a new one. The gear is fine, so I just finished putting it back together with the epoxy. It looks like this will work. I'll let you know. I also took out the other one from the kit in the box I did last time and also redid that one. I'm still waiting for the 2nd 250 I'm flying to give that one up so I'll leave it alone as it's a bit of a chore putting them back. But i found that if you loosen the two front motor mount screws if you just take it out of the back, you can lift that whole top half up so you can easily put them back together. I hate taking the whole thing apart so I'm getting better at it. Now we'll see if they fly. I had to redo the head on the second one, things were just too loose and it started flying pretty ugly. I'm still debating whether to take this gear out too and just add some epoxy on it and call it a day. I'm slowly getting them pretty solid after all this pain so they are looking good. At least the mechanical parts since that's what's been pretty bad on them. I forgot to mention that I decided to score the inside of the gear with the exacto knife to give it a bit more bit on the shaft. Just lightly to see if this helps a bit. Not sure it makes a difference with the epoxy though since it's gotten pretty hard on there which is good. The flight test will tell.

Well, I decided not to be lazy and just took out the other gear from the 250 and just added a bit of epoxy on the top and bottom of the gear. That should keep it in place. Don't want that to be the day killer next time I'm out. At least now I know my tail gears and boom holders are pretty solid.

I've been having a problem with my charger not charging the batteries all the way. I have to set the charge again so it continues charging the battery until it's full. It's a thunder AC6 from hobbypartz. Anyone got any ideas?
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Nov 18, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Welp i finally bought a Turnigy HV servo for $19. I've been trying to get a hold of one but HK always seems to be out of stock. Now it's on shipping along with my spartan link.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...05sec_21g.html

Specs:

Model: TGY-306G-HV
Operating Voltage: 4.8V / 6V / 7.2V
Operating Speed: 0.07sec.60/ 0.06sec.60/ 0.05sec.60
Stall Torque: 2.5kg.cm /3.1kg.cm /3.7kg.cm
Size: 22.9X12.1X27.3mm
Weight: 21g
Motor: 12mm Coreless
Potentiometer: indirect Drive
Ball bearing: 2 Ball Bearing
Gear: Metal
Case: Aluminum
Connector wire: 220mm
Plug: JR/Universal
Last edited by pitchp; Nov 20, 2012 at 01:04 PM.