HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:46 PM
Lodose, Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb View Post
Where are you guys finding these cheap T-Rex kits for $160? Ebay? I know my local hobby shop sells the basic T-Rex SE kit (no servos/Gyro) for nearly $270, and a lot of the popular online vendors are asking about the same price.
Every now and then flyinghobby.com have the T-Rex 250 with motor, ESC and cyclic servos as the "Deal of the day" for $169 + shipping.. Just drop in there on a daily basis for a week or so and it will pop up on their front page.. The ordinary price is $200 with metal gear servos..
pela is offline Find More Posts by pela
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:53 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
I think that is supposed to be http://www.flying-hobby.com

The deal of the day today is an Align TREX450Pro super combo with two lipos for $455.... :O
Gadflyii is offline Find More Posts by Gadflyii
Old Feb 26, 2010, 03:00 PM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
264 Posts
Has anyone tried this HK gyro?

TR302-AD

Planning on it's use in a 250

Thanks...
JavaScript is offline Find More Posts by JavaScript
Old Feb 26, 2010, 03:54 PM
Lodose, Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadflyii View Post
I think that is supposed to be http://www.flying-hobby.com

The deal of the day today is an Align TREX450Pro super combo with two lipos for $455.... :O
Yes, you're right, it's flying-hobby.com.. Sorry..
Old Feb 26, 2010, 04:00 PM
Lodose, Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSingleterry View Post
Has anyone tried this HK gyro?

TR302-AD

Planning on it's use in a 250

Thanks...
That is the exact same gyro as the TeleBee.. Align, E-Flite and a few more have put their label on it as well.. I use one on my HK-250 (not GT) and it works ok if setup properly.. It's very sensitive regarding changes in temperature and it needs to adjust to the temperature it's going to be flown in.. No biggie, just let the heli stand with the battery connected for 5 mins and the cycle the power and you're good to go..

I have two of the HK-gyros at home right now that I will use on my two Honey Bee King II Carbon machines, I've used the Telebee version of it on several other helis and it performes very well for the price..
Old Feb 26, 2010, 04:27 PM
Make Stuff!
Pineville,NC USA
Joined Jan 2008
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb View Post
Where are you guys finding these cheap T-Rex kits for $160? Ebay? I know my local hobby shop sells the basic T-Rex SE kit (no servos/Gyro) for nearly $270, and a lot of the popular online vendors are asking about the same price.
+1 here. Seems like some fuzzy math to me. The $300 super combo described above doesn't exist in my town. The super combo usually goes for $400 to $420. Also, it is wrong to say that I have to buy overly expensive components like $70 motor/ESC combos when comparable power can be had for around $20 bucks. The same is almost as true for servos.

All up cost me about $215 including AR6110e receiver and carbon fiber blades, both of which you still have to add to the $400 or so for the super combo making it around $465 to $485 to get airborne. Trex can not possibly fly twice as well as than mine.

I could've bought a full Trex tail, digital servos and a better gyro and still be well under $465.

And watch out for the super cheap internet deals. Some of them make up the price on ridiculous shipping costs (kinda like ebay).
thrustboy is offline Find More Posts by thrustboy
Old Feb 26, 2010, 05:21 PM
Lodose, Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustboy View Post
+1 here. Seems like some fuzzy math to me. The $300 super combo described above doesn't exist in my town. The super combo usually goes for $400 to $420. Also, it is wrong to say that I have to buy overly expensive components like $70 motor/ESC combos when comparable power can be had for around $20 bucks. The same is almost as true for servos.
Actually, the super combo price mentioned above were $335 not $300 and yes you can get the T-Rex 250SE super combo for that kind of money at flying-hobby.com.. I can get the 250SE Super Combo with an AR6110e shipped for $411.. However, that's not the issue here.. The issue is the fact that people keep comparing apples and pears, you can't compare the price of a HXT900 servo with the price of an Align digital metal gear servo, a Align GP750 gyro with a dirt cheap HK-401 and so on.. Of course th HXT-servo is cheaper and you can fly the 250GT just fine with it, I know because I do it, but they are not comparable.. No one is arguing that you can't get the same power and/or performace for less money.. It's a bit like comparing a VolksWagen Polo with a Bugatti Veyron with the argument that they are both cars and they drive just fine.. A bit exaggerated, but it's sorta the same to me..

Quote:
All up cost me about $215 including AR6110e receiver and carbon fiber blades, both of which you still have to add to the $400 or so for the super combo making it around $465 to $485 to get airborne. Trex can not possibly fly twice as well as than mine.
No, when you get the 250GT right it flies pretty much exactly as the T-Rex does, for obvious reasons , but in my case I had to replace some parts, and modify others in order for the helis to be flyable at all, this I didn't need to do with the two Align 250's I have.. The Align birds have other issues, but that's another thread..

Quote:
I could've bought a full Trex tail, digital servos and a better gyro and still be well under $465.
No argument there, if you go with "cheap" elecs the all up price will be way lower than the original T-Rex, but if you put roughly the same priced electronics on the machine, the difference will be far less..

Quote:
And watch out for the super cheap internet deals. Some of them make up the price on ridiculous shipping costs (kinda like ebay).
When shopping online, whether it's eBay or any other webshop, you'll always need to look at how much the item/items are gonna cost you when they land on you door step.. I never order anything unless I know exactly how much it's gonna cost me when I get it in my hand.. The reason why some eBay sellers have these enormus shipping fees is because eBay doesn't charge the seller for the shipping, just the winning bid.. They are simply "scamming" eBay.. The total price is almost always about the same as others selling the same item..

As I wrote before, I love these clones and I have 6 of them now in different sizes, but I can't say that they are the same as Align out of the box.. You can get them to be almost the same but it'll require some work and in some cases some modding.. That's my experience anyways..

Dang, this post almost turned into a book. Hmm, perhaps I should consider becoming a writer instead of an IT-dude
Old Feb 26, 2010, 05:35 PM
Make Stuff!
Pineville,NC USA
Joined Jan 2008
400 Posts
You are still saying that just because something is priced more that its is better, then saying that the lesser product flies as well as the more expensive. That sounds suspiciously like buying brand name just to have brand name.

The big issue with the hk250 has been with the tail, something that was common among early issues of the Trex 250 as well, as expressed here and in other forums.

I would argue that the reason align sells all inclusive is to get you to buy more of their over-priced products. I think rcnewb alluded to this above. They sell these kits with extras to make it less of a straight up comparison. I think that fact speaks louder than all the comments in this thread.

Align is great. They have done great things for this hobby, but they are overpriced.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:29 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,690 Posts
Quote:
The $300 super combo described above doesn't exist in my town.
Can you buy any Trex combo down in Pineville?
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:02 PM
Make Stuff!
Pineville,NC USA
Joined Jan 2008
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Can you buy any Trex combo down in Pineville?
We do have one hobby shop in Pineville, but I was admittedly referring to the greater metropolitan area. There is a pretty good shop in Rock Hill, and Hobbytown at Cheshire Place has lots of Trex 250 stuff in stock. I bought a tail belt there last week.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:11 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:

I would argue that the reason align sells all inclusive is to get you to buy more of their over-priced products. I think rcnewb alluded to this above. They sell these kits with extras to make it less of a straight up comparison. I think that fact speaks louder than all the comments in this thread.

Align is great. They have done great things for this hobby, but they are overpriced.
thrust - you definitely summarized my point (better than I could, apparently ). Align does make a quality product, but I agree that it is still overpriced. Their parts are reasonable, but having to buy too many Align parts at once after a more severe crash is surely a wallet killer. I have learned from dealing with past clones that the critical parts (such as the feathering shaft) are best replaced up-front by the Align part, simply because it can be dangerous to fly something with weak bolts that may result in a spontaneous blade release at full RPM. However, as someone mentioned in a previous post, I thought that the quality of the frame and the screws on the HK-250GT were better than the Align. The T-Rex 250, by default, does not come with the carbon/metal anti-rotation bracket, and the c/f is higher quality on the HK.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:41 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
Here's my .02...

After 2 Align 250's, I dipped my toe into clone land with a EXI branded Skya 250 clone. Not really the deal that clone 450/500's can be. Dogbone links, feathering shaft, flimsy boom, swash, tail pitch lever, tail slider, belt, are the things that needed replacing out of the box off the top of my head right now. Then there was smoothing the supplied sharp CF frame plates. Overall those parts really narrowed the savings gap from the Align bird specials from flying-hobby or the like.

Then considering that the servo linkage geometry/installation is really designed around the Savox/Align servo dimentions, well, the discount on Align electronics starts looking good buying a kit. A good gyro also is a bonus on something this small and twitchy. So that Supercombo looks better and better.

I can say that my clone with $9.00 digitals on the cyclic (I kept it cheap) and a $15 gyro flys...but not all that well. The gyro will be replaced with a hand-me-down GP750 soon, so that should help out quite a bit. But the cheap cyclic servos/not quite right geometry, while better than my origional really cheap SG90 cyclic servo setup, is still nowhere near an Align kit bird in feel.

Yeah, it will fly for quite a bit cheaper, but sometimes spending a bit more money results in a much more enjoyable heli, and this is one of those cases IMO
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:51 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pela View Post
As I wrote before, I love these clones and I have 6 of them now in different sizes, but I can't say that they are the same as Align out of the box.. You can get them to be almost the same but it'll require some work and in some cases some modding.. That's my experience anyways..
Nice post and I would easily go by it. I would even say that HK 250 GT kit vs Align's have similar value for money. You pay less for HK and have more trouble and pay more for Align's kit and have less trouble. I would even accept that you get slightly worse quality (of some parts) for HK kit. And even when you replace HK parts with Align's value for money still stays on both.

For people who want better quality kit and prepared to pay more Align's kit might be better choice. If we look electronics HK motor/servos/gyro are better value for money - for sure. Better quality? No - nobody said so!

And I think whole argument started that someone said that HK kit, when critical parts are replaced with Align's is more expensive/or at least same price as Align's (which we still believe it isn't, right? ) and that would make HK to be worse value for money.

Now - is HK kit (with mods) better value for money than Align's - I can't say. I would like to think that it is - but for how much - I'm not sure
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:04 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
The only thing is these are clones of discontinued Trex's and they need to clone the newer versions.
HK450 Pro http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Rex_Compat.%29

is the 500 not current ?
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:18 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,109 Posts
The question about relative values of Trex v Clone also assumes that you are buying all new components in each case. I built my clones from my spares box, so th eonly bits bought were the kits and .... well nothing else actually - I have the servos (HS-45 on one, HXT900 on the other), ESCs, motors etc. etc..

Admittedly not everyone will be in this situation, but for me the helis were the cost of the kit
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC