HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:34 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Thanks for the video Mike, that's exactly how mine moves when I ended hitting the ground, so I know now after watching that it is working correctly. Just feels weird compared to the flybar and will tweak it a bit more for me. I guess I just have to remember to move the stick were I want to go as the rotor seems to want to stay focused to whatever side you move the cyclic to, specially on the ground. I would put the training gear, but I don't have any 450 landing gears. The video helped clear this out though so I should be good for lift off if my tail doesn't get me as it's harder to tweak that too with the way this flybar moves. But let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Garry, thanks, you are correct, you have to use slight movements, but I also couldn't at first figure out what or how the roll and pitch settings worked. My swash barely moved and the first time I used all 100 settings to see what it did, needless to say it move the swash a hell of a lot faster and that's when I hit the concrete at home since I was just setting it up. But I learn by doing so I'm getting there. The lowest settings I think are 40 and 40 for pitch and roll. I may got down to 20 for both as I found that to still be a bit high for the first time on the flybarless. At least until I figure out what I like and I'm comfortable with.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Oct 09, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:02 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Jombo, I think I found a servo for your 250, or was it pitchp...LOL
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sec_22_5g.html
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:17 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,179 Posts
maybe pitchp. i am using this one http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...hd-1705mg.html
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:44 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Looks good, too bad they have those large mounting holes. I've learned to hate those things because you need to find washers and make sure it doesn't fall out when you crash. It was more of a pain to get them installed that's all. But HK has some of the orange/white now that come with metal gears too and I think they're like 3 bucks or less.

Okay I was off by .98 cents. It looks like yours is a bit faster though.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5kg_0_08s.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:18 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Jombo, I think I found a servo for your 250, or was it pitchp...LOL
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sec_22_5g.html

for that price I might aswell buy a DS95i
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:34 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Wow, nice servo, but almost 100 bucks for a servo! I'll stick with the 20 bucker from HK, they at least look the same...LOL. It's getting dark but I need to go see if I can hover this flybarless heli. After watching that video I need to find out...hehe

Well I just came back and I'm starting to really hate flybarless. The blades tend to tip to one side without any input even when I turn the pitch and roll to 25 from 40 which is the recommended for newbies. I tried 100 to check and the swash moves fast but causes the same problem, faster. As I spool up as soon as the blades start lift the darn thing goes to one side and I don't have time to straighten it. I'm I missing something? I hit the floor pretty hard this time, but it was grass. The 3 cyclics are dead and one of the long links came off. I found out it just came off and was not broken like I thought. So make sure the links are not too far out. I need to screw them more this time and readjust everything else. I really didn't like that. I also kill my one way bearing and the large gear, just didn't have time to stop it which is not cool. Everything else seems okay, but you know how that goes. Back to the table it goes. If I break the links this will go in the trash as there are no parts for this on the HK site and I may just call it a day on flybarless. I know I can use this as a regular gyro so it's not completely done I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
for that price I might aswell buy a DS95i
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Oct 09, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
Do you have the HK 450 Pro FBL kit, if so I have the same kit with the ZXY system, but it's still in the box. When I get the time I'll put it together. I've never flown a FBL helicopter before, but I've heard alot of hype about them, but what I seem to understand from you is that you are really not impressed this system?
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:02 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
It's my very first flybarless system, so I'm still trying to see if I can make it work but I have no previous experience with any so it's harder to know if it's just me or I need to check something else. I just realized while typing that earlier, these systems are supposed to help you by uprighting itself, but mine likes to tip over really fast and smack itself on the ground instead even though it looks like it's working correctly. Everything is new on the heli. I'm currently moving it from the side to the top of the tail boom. Trying to match the manual. The manual also has it on the left side if you are behind the tail, but I had it on the right side, which shouldn't really be a problem I don't think, but who knows. I will also be bringing the links in more as that seems to also be a problem. I was going by what gave me equal movement, but still need to bring them in and start over setting that up later. Maybe it was just that that cause the tip over this time, hard to say. I know the gyro works as I used it on the 250 by itself and it was working just fine as a regular gyro.

This is what I have...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680830

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen 1 View Post
Do you have the HK 450 Pro FBL kit, if so I have the same kit with the ZXY system, but it's still in the box. When I get the time I'll put it together. I've never flown a FBL helicopter before, but I've heard alot of hype about them, but what I seem to understand from you is that you are really not impressed this system?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Oct 10, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:10 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Wow, nice servo, but almost 100 bucks for a servo! I'll stick with the 20 bucker from HK, they at least look the same...LOL. It's getting dark but I need to go see if I can hover this flybarless heli. After watching that video I need to find out...hehe

Well I just came back and I'm starting to really hate flybarless. The blades tend to tip to one side without any input even when I turn the pitch and roll to 25 from 40 which is the recommended for newbies. I tried 100 to check and the swash moves fast but causes the same problem, faster. As I spool up as soon as the blades start lift the darn thing goes to one side and I don't have time to straighten it. I'm I missing something? I hit the floor pretty hard this time, but it was grass. The 3 cyclics are dead and one of the long links came off. I found out it just came off and was not broken like I thought. So make sure the links are not too far out. I need to screw them more this time and readjust everything else. I really didn't like that. I also kill my one way bearing and the large gear, just didn't have time to stop it which is not cool. Everything else seems okay, but you know how that goes. Back to the table it goes. If I break the links this will go in the trash as there are no parts for this on the HK site and I may just call it a day on flybarless. I know I can use this as a regular gyro so it's not completely done I guess.
yeah I'm also going back to FB on the 250 actually i'm thinking of just dissin this FBL all together. Just FB all the way
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined May 2011
438 Posts
You know that there was so much hype about FBL helicopters, I could not resist, but to the HK kit, I hope I did not waste my money.
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:12 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Well I think that's the only reason I wanted to try them. I wasn't sure if it would feel any better or not. I was going for the idea of less parts, but I'm not sure if that even makes any difference now. I'll keep messing with it and see what happens. There are no spare parts so if I mess it up I don't think I'll bother with another one. I just got the cheapest one to try out. It would be nice if I can just get this to hover so I can at least get a feel for it. I've been taking my time with it too, so take your time and that way you can hopefully have better luck than I have. I'm posting my experience on there so you can have an idea of what to expect as I couldn't find anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen 1 View Post
You know that there was so much hype about FBL helicopters, I could not resist, but to the HK kit, I hope I did not waste my money.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:02 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Well I just came back and I'm starting to really hate flybarless. The blades tend to tip to one side without any input even when I turn the pitch and roll to 25 from 40 which is the recommended for newbies. I tried 100 to check and the swash moves fast but causes the same problem, faster. As I spool up as soon as the blades start lift the darn thing goes to one side and I don't have time to straighten it. I'm I missing something?.
Which FBL unit are you using, and what are you changing? Those are big changes that you are making!.

Flips to one side on take off are usually
1. Incorrect correctioin of the swash
2. Vibrations
3. Static - but less likely
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:01 AM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
I bought the HK FBL head together with the kit, and put it on straight away. I am so glad I went for fbl as it's so much easier to set up. Just level the swash with a swash levelling tool, and pop on the blade holder and adjust pitch.

Most settings are done on a nice computer interface, not on the TX.

I mounted the zyx with 2 double sided tape. It lifts off nicely and hoovers ok.

The main problem is still the tail. Think the 9g hk digital servo is just not strong enough. Could someone recommend a strong (prone to crash) and powerful servo that won't break the bank please? Think around $20 is my limit.
geekystar is offline Find More Posts by geekystar
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:04 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
This servo feels nice and fast on my flybar heli. Not so much on my flybarless though, but I just noticed I bent the screw on the tail holding the slider so I'm getting some binding. I thought I killed it earlier but nope, it's fine. It's about 22 bucks if you wait, but check for a buddy code if there is one. I have also used the cheap orange digital servos without a problem, but I am only hovering around.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...05sec_21g.html

Mike, all the parts on the heli were new, so I wasn't getting anything, since I had never flown or tried to fly this thing. One of the links came off too so I'm not sure if that also had something to do with it this second time. I just finished putting in the new main shaft, gear, and servos. I readjusted my links as they are not very strong from what it looks like, so I put screw the end links all the way down and moved the base up near to top to get the same movement up and down. This part is something I think making it tough too since I have to look at the blades to make sure they are about the same. I'll have to adjust the servo links but I rather do these than the two long ones now after that. Oh I also moved the gyro on the top of the tail boom and will change that setting too. As for the correction, well it looks like it corrects fine, but it's after I spooled up that it decides to go to one side without any input from me instead of straight up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:31 AM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
So far I like my 250 a lot better than the Flybar'ed ones. I might be assembling a 250 FB this coming Christmas to see if I still like the FB feel. Generally, FBL has a lot less to set up, just the parameters needs to be tweaked to perfect before even try to hover, else it'll be fubar.
So I think it depends on if you like mechanical setup (FB) or electronic setup (FBL).
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85