HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:15 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I finally broke my last landing gear today. I have to stop going out so late. I lost it when it got dark and couldn't get my orientation back. So I thought I try this as my new landing gear. It's light and cheap and all I needed to replace was the feathering shaft again. So maybe I can go back out tomorrow. I ordered some more cheapy landing gears but if this works I'll have to leave it on all the time and not bother with those any more. It's not pretty but I think it will be fine for my crazy flying, I mean crazy not 3d... Those one pieces are well crap, so I just replace them. I don't know about the 2 piece, but at this point this looks like it will keep the heli from flipping over at least. At least the two dogs playing there got stopped from taking it before I did. Maybe I'll just add some pieces to the battery to make it a canopy since the one I'm using is about to fall apart completely.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:19 AM
Perth, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
125 Posts
efx,

That new landing skid has a pretty large surface area!
As soon as a bit of wind hits it it will act like a kite!

Im kinda thinking it could cause more damage than good.

Seeing as its so flexible, if your determined to keep it on, maybe cut out some middle bits, so there is less for the wind to push around.
RandomBob is offline Find More Posts by RandomBob
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,179 Posts
efx , i love it . my skids break too when i land too hard on the driveway . i try to land in the grass . i haven't cut the grass in a week so it will be a soft landing ... i hope
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Even better if it goes up like a kite! I can fly longer and force it down with the blades. I cut it a bit larger so that it won't tip over. It's just over the sides, but can't tell until I fly again. I can cut a tiny bit but then it will be too small, we'll see. It's the plastic type of foam which is very light and strong so I like this better for landing as it will take more beating than the landing skids and will also cushion the heli even more. Plus I think I can see this better too so at least I have something else to get my orientation right. I figured people use those floaties on the 450 skids, this is just the same concept, but since the heli is so small, a small square should work just fine. In any case I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBob View Post
efx,

That new landing skid has a pretty large surface area!
As soon as a bit of wind hits it it will act like a kite!

Im kinda thinking it could cause more damage than good.

Seeing as its so flexible, if your determined to keep it on, maybe cut out some middle bits, so there is less for the wind to push around.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:04 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I also just land on grass as I prefer that too, but that's where I've been breaking mine since I have been crashing. Well, just the really bad crashes. I'm just getting tired of those crappy skids so I thought I try something else since I also ran out of them and don't want to bother spending too much more. I did ordered a few more cheap ones, but I may have to call it done with those if this works even though it's not pretty. Oh I also added a 3rd cable tie in the middle just to make sure it stays on. I don't think it needs it, but I figured what the heck you can get those on without a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
efx , i love it . my skids break too when i land too hard on the driveway . i try to land in the grass . i haven't cut the grass in a week so it will be a soft landing ... i hope
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,277 Posts
Quick question, with some of you flying these for a while now your experience is what I need.

Are 5g servos enough for this heli ?

I won't be flying 3d and my flying style is pretty sedate.
scousethief is online now Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:34 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I tested the heli with the foam landing pad. It works but it felt too heavy and I crashed the heck out of it again. It seems fine for hovering around, but still a tad heavy. So I just cut half on each side to lighten it up. Now I got a 2.5" wide by 3.5" long piece. I can still cut a bit more, but want to make sure there's enough for it not to tip over.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Sep 16, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:39 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Quick question, with some of you flying these for a while now your experience is what I need.

Are 5g servos enough for this heli ?

I won't be flying 3d and my flying style is pretty sedate.
DS929mg or 933mg for cheapie servos
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:54 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Here's todays video of the heli with the pad for landing.
HK250GT 1 (1 min 11 sec)

Here's me crashing the heli.
HK250GT 2 (1 min 5 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Sep 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:05 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Are those from HK? Links please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:34 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post

Hi , thanks, cheap doesnt necessarily matter its weight im looking to shave off , from watching youtube vids the poor girl seems to be a bit of a lard arse when ladened up.
scousethief is online now Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:38 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,667 Posts
I found the eflite 75's just about the lightest and they seem to hold up well. I have way over 100 flights with them.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:24 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,179 Posts
efx, I have been using 450 pro landing gear . You need to make a light adaptor plate on the bottom . I used a 1-1/2 wide light ply , mounted it in the existing holes then
mounted the 450 gear to the wood plate. I'll get a pic in a bit
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:53 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,018 Posts
Hi Everyone, im in the process of planing my first kit build and im looking at either a CopterX CX 250SES Flybarless or HK250GT + flybarless head. And id like some advice on the electronics iv picked.

Is there any difference in quality between a 250gt and the Copterx frame? CopterX comes with a fbl head from the start, so currently im basing the build on that.
Hhould any of the parts be replaced on these clones to ensure safety while flying them? Im guessing the rotors they come with is a no go.

This is what iv currently decided on.

Frame: CX 250SES FBL
Gyro/FBL : ZYX-S / with only a R100 Satellite Receiver
Swash Servos :Turnigy TG9e 9g
Tail Servo: Turnigy MG90S
Motor: Turnigy 2627 3800 or 4200kv depending on what pinions i can find (4200 + stock kit pinion results ina hs of 5900).

Weight for the heli without battery should end up around 250 -270g.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:44 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,667 Posts
Mine weights 331g ready to fly with canopy and battery.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member