HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:26 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,202 Posts
Oh - I had pretty good setup with Align/HK mixture of parts: Align's tail slider and arm, double bearings (forgot that I've installed them in the first instance - a month or so ago) and rest of it HK. But, it seems that both Align's and HK parts do have more slop than this new tail assembly..

Now I need new 0.9mm hex screwdriver... Any ideas anyone? (UK stuff preferably).

BTW How come that HK doesn't have it in a set of spares?
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:23 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infms View Post
Which would be the better motor to use on a 3s setup? The Turnigy 2623-3000kv + 16T pinion or the Turnigy 2623-4500kv + 11T pinion? Head speeds will be similar plus they both weigh the same. Thanks!
I love this one in mine, screaming head speed on the stock pinion. 2627-3800.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8143
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:39 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Evan - did you have to make extensive modifications to the motor to make it fit? Seems like it would be too large to fit inside the HK-250GT frame. I also saw a few reader comments that mentioned cutting the motor shaft and using a shim plate to secure it to the frame. Also, the 2627-3800 has a 2.3mm shaft, the pinion included with the HK-250GT is 2.5mm, so you'd need to search around for a 2.3mm pinion to fit that motor.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:42 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb View Post
Evan - did you have to make extensive modifications to the motor to make it fit? Seems like it would be too large to fit inside the HK-250GT frame. I also saw a few reader comments that mentioned cutting the motor shaft and using a shim plate to secure it to the frame.
hm.. I'm running the same motor as Evan - no problems fitting it in, I think.
I did cut the motor shaft down and replacement 15T pinion too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb View Post
Also, the 2627-3800 has a 2.3mm shaft, the pinion included with the HK-250GT is 2.5mm, so you'd need to search around for a 2.3mm pinion to fit that motor.
Is it? Good I didn't know that! I've been using stock pinion until managed to get grub screw slipped and failed to take it out - so found another 2.3 pinion on HK site and I'm running it without any problems...

And, yes, it is powerful I had to lower the timer to 3:30 with 1000mAh Lightmax batteries - but it is worth it!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:46 AM
Saitama, Japan
Joined Aug 2009
154 Posts
I've been using 13t on the 2627-3800 for a while, and it was running just fine with nice headspeed.
I've read somewhere that it's actually under-specced, and real kv's something like 4300.
markh78 is offline Find More Posts by markh78
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:25 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,488 Posts
It fits but yes you have to do a few things.

The shaft is too long so you have to use a deremel and cut it shorter.

It does have a 2.3mm shaft. I cut a small slip of Coke can aluminum and use it as a shim between the shaft and stock pinion gear. I use some green loctite in the shaft/ shim/ pinion and red loctite on the grub screw. The pinion pushed all the way down on the motor hits where the shaft has been machined and it needs to go down further to get the pinion to mesh where it should so you have to use a couple washers to space the motor down to get the correct mesh.

On my T250 I put the ESC on top of the bottom plate beneath the motor. On the HK250GT with the longer motor and thicker 18A Turnigy Plush ESC I have the ESC zip tied under the helo.

Bottom line is this motor make this (or any other 250) scream. It's worth the fiddling to put one in.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:36 PM
Fish? Practice catch & release
South Africa
Joined Jan 2008
246 Posts
The 2627-3800kv looks good but at 38g it's 9g heavier than the other two... Trying to keep this little bird as light as possible I reckon I'll give the 3000kv a try with a larger 16T pinion.
Infms is offline Find More Posts by Infms
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:28 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,488 Posts
Beleive me you will not notice the 9g extra with that motor.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:52 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,202 Posts
Microheli's precision tail

... I still have problem with

I am a bit disappointed with it... Only troubles...

First I wanted to take tail hub from original tail I've broken .9mm hex screwdriver + slipped the grub screw and now can't take it off...

Secondly I put everything together and realised that tail belt was set wrong way round. When I tried to take it off long screw that holds the tail assembly over tail boom broke 2mm in and I couldn't get the rest of it out. And, no, I didn't use red loctite in it! I even broke a 1.2mm drill bit trying to drill the screw out

Then I used stock tail assembly hub and rest of Microheli's parts. Stock tail assembly is 0.5mm wider. But even with original microheli's one - stock tail shaft is not appropriate - it had 1mm slop - moved through bearings. With stock tail it went to 1.5mm slop.

So at the end I had to put some shims on both sides to prevent it moving (no idea was it good thing to do or not).

And... I couldn't try it out as in the mean time I crashed it (twice) trying all out: first time I forgot to connect one of aileron servos (my fault - but it did fly - only it ballooned and I crashed it tail in to the garden fence) and second time tail just didn't hold (as tail shaft was moving inside of tail case) and I landed too roughly moving collectives too quickly down and making a bad tail boom strike

Now as I don't have 0.9mm allen key/screwdriver I can't replace main shaft to try to get rid of horrible vibrations to try it out...

- o - o -o -

The worst of all is that Microheli's tail has very little slop in comparison to stock or even better stock/align combination... Also, tail slider arm is a bit longer than stock and now even moved link ball at the servo one hole outer.

We'll see. I haven't given up it yet - I can see it being way forward but I hate going from heli that flew, and flew well, to lots of troubles just to it up... Bah...

Rant over!
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:04 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
clicky -

Send that Microheli tail back for a refund, I don't think they QC their parts with any degree of effort. When I first assembled the Microheli tail, it seemed great, no slop, screws seemed to hold well, and I thought it would do a great job. Little did I know that things just didn't line up squarely, as parts, etc. must not have been machined properly or cut to specs. Additionally, I did find myself "shimming" the metal tail gear (on the tail shaft), I used a couple little washers that popped out of the stock tail assembly, which kept the little metal gear from moving around on the tail shaft, this helped but again I still had problems.

Go with the Align metal tail assembly - the stock 250 pitch slider plastic ball fits into the Align metal tail control arm with 0 slop. Additionally, if you go for the metal Align tail grips, the chinese weight mod is built-in. Once I installed the Align metal tail (used the HK stock pitch slider), all HK-250GT tail problems vanished into thin air.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:19 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,202 Posts
I've paid roughly 45 for the tail of which I'll get back 35 (in the best case - rest is delivery). Also, I was stung another 14 by Royal (pain the back) Mail + I would need to pay ~ 10 to send it back. Total: 70 of which I can get only half. So - there's no economic logic in sending it back and losing half of money. It turned to be way to expensive (much more than whole kit itself! ) and I have to go with it...

I still think it is improvement (although not worth money I've spent on it) over all other stuff I've put on (read align parts - original tail hub with double bearings had less slop than align one and this has almost zero - so... eh...)
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:39 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,443 Posts
Contact Microheli.
I had a problem once with a Hornet tail box and they just sent me another one. Nothing to lose in trying.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:52 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,017 Posts
I am looking at the 250 Again
I love my HK-450 and my MSR is great inside but want something in the middle. I did several searches and failed to find a set up list.
Is the electrics list suggested by Hobby King Good, or what is a good low end setup. What should I not get.
Hellysmack is online now Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:33 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,202 Posts
Mine is HK250GT, 3x HXT-900, Gy401 + Ino Lab 201BB, Turnigy 2627 with 30A SS ESC. Flying it with 1000mAh Lightmax 3S1 batteries. I managed to set tail to hold fairly good with align's tail slider and arm and used two sets of bearings in the original HK grips. Only other mod was using Align's feathering shaft. Rest of it is stock.

So you can see it is pretty much the lowest possible HK electronics wise (except gyro, but I'm sure HK401 would do nicely) and has very little (necessary ) deviations from the stock parts... and by no means this seems to be low end setup. Power is really stunning (for the price) and rest of it is perfectly OK
Old Feb 26, 2010, 03:37 AM
Shut up and talk to me!!
Manila
Joined Aug 2006
286 Posts
All electronics in mine came from HK, except the servos

HK TR-6A
Turnigy 2627-3800
HK G401B
Turnigy 18A Plush ESC

Servo: