HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:19 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,187 Posts
I would suggest a close look at the tail pitch slider for binding.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:44 AM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Thanks, I totally forgot about that. That sounds reasonable too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
I would suggest a close look at the tail pitch slider for binding.
Garry K.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:51 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
I went out to the local Big 5 and found these plastic cases in the fishing area. I decided to pick one up because the one I got at HF is horrible in keeping the small items together. The one I bought today was not cheap but it has these nice ridges on the cover to keep everything where you put it. I only noticed the main blade screw washers for the 250 moving from one place to another. So put those in a bag and I still keep the tiny screws in their bags. I would love to keep them out so it's easier to see them, but this one at least worst better for my 250 spares. I like the nice locking tabs too. These are made here in the US and the HF are Chinese just thought people may want to know. The plano are much better, but if I can find some that keep things even more tight and easy to see I may go with that too. I had to get the small one since this is what I like to put in the HF case I carry my heli in. Fits just like my cheaper HF case.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:07 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
OrangeRx R610 Spektrum DSM2 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver. Only $3.99!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...m_medium=email
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:08 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Do you think this is a good motor for the 250? I want to try a lighter motor. It's more powerful too.
http://www.targethobby.com/hobbymate...p-4161584.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:12 AM
almost hovering
United States, FL, Homestead
Joined Feb 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
OrangeRx R610 Spektrum DSM2 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver. Only $3.99!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...m_medium=email
Promotion until this Sunday
r3dskull is offline Find More Posts by r3dskull
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:56 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
I went out today and stopped by an open area. I flew my 250 for a bit with the cheap assan gyro. It's on older version, but I think it's the second version that got fixed. Can't remember but it's working okay except I'm getting this weird thing were it doesn't respond or at least it feels as if it doesn't want to respond. So when I go right it's as if I have to do it again to make it turn, then it turns and I have to counter that action to keep it in place. I'm not on heading hold mode or anything, but it's getting annoying, any idea? It seems to work but not reacting as soon as I move the stick. I don't think this one has the delay but can't remember since they don't have a programming card. I guess I'll have to go mess with that and see. I got my red label on the other 250 so I may have to try that one and see if it works better.
I had similar problem only tail always drifting to the right. It was the tail pivot. I changed to an Align and the bushing is shorter than the belcrank. I just tightened up and never properly checked it. It had a lot of drag.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:00 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,747 Posts
For those who have issues with the solid ball links on the HK kits being so loose they almost fall off, if you change to align links, get align balls as well.
The HK balls are not the proper size. The measure 3.52mm and the align balls are 3.47mm. The HK balls will make linkage tight and not function properly causing erratic flight. These are the links from the washout to flybar and mixing arms to blade holders.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:39 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just noticed the gyro is the red label on this heli so it's the latest firmware. I also had some problems adjusting the endpoints on it when I went into the settings, so it could be that as the tail seems to move fine without any problem. I took out my other 250 with the older assan gyro and it flew just fine after I got it tweaked. I may need to take a closer look at this heli that's acting up during flight. I'm using the HK 250's all stock except for some align links and one uses the fiber glass blades. Even the plastic blades work great for my basic hovering, they're great and very balanced too. I have a ball link tool so I use that to fit them when they're too tight. Basically I'm still working on just getting them to fly straight where I don't have to correct too much right or left and I think the gyros may be what I need to tweak a bit more. But I'll update if I find anything else. I should also note that I only had the gyro on with the velcro and just added a cable tie to it. I think it was moving all over the place and that probably didn't help anything. I have the tie on the other one I flew which was fine, so I think that should help keep things a bit more accurate on the gyro side. I know people have all sorts of way for how they mount them, but I just like to keep it simple since I may need to change them. The velcro and tie keeps them in place and makes it easy to change them if I want/need to. Just use a velcro strap on the larger heli to keep them in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I had similar problem only tail always drifting to the right. It was the tail pivot. I changed to an Align and the bushing is shorter than the belcrank. I just tightened up and never properly checked it. It had a lot of drag.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Sep 07, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:54 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Do you think this is a good motor for the 250? I want to try a lighter motor. It's more powerful too.
http://www.targethobby.com/hobbymate...p-4161584.html
i have a similar one that HK sells . i don't like it . it smaller than the regular 250 motor and dont think it will run at the 5000kv claims on the 250. i am running the 4200kv and it seems to fly faster than the 5000kv on the 250.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:17 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Thanks Jombo. I guess I'll try this one. Any input on it or do you have any other suggestion for motor? I just want to try a different motor in the low price range. The hk's I got are nice motors but specs ask for a 2s battery and I only have 3s batteries. They work, but heat up quite a bit to the touch and I have a feeling that may also be causing problems. Not sure just a guess.

http://www.targethobby.com/250-size-...p-4161706.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
i have a similar one that HK sells . i don't like it . it smaller than the regular 250 motor and dont think it will run at the 5000kv claims on the 250. i am running the 4200kv and it seems to fly faster than the 5000kv on the 250.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:44 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
4,872 Posts
That should be fine. Just find a 12 or 13 tooth pinion. I use the fire fox one on the hk site with the 2.3 mm hole . Or just don't put the throttle curve to max 100% , I keep mine at 70 max with the 13 tooth ( I think its a13 tooth or a 15 on mine) . Just do some math with the head speed calculator and try to keep it under 4000 rpm.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:42 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Great thanks. I got those ordered. I guess the current 2s motors are okay too since one is working just fine, but the other heli has been a pain but not due to the motor I guess. I'll let you guys know how they work out since I bought them anyway. By the way, I went out to the park today, I have found this nice open area. I tried the 250 that's been messing me up but as soon as I went up, it just spun and well, I ended up crashing it. I think I'll change the tail servo as well on it. I have crashed this one one too many times and use it as my trainer anyway. So I took out the other one which has been working great and flew for a while even though it was windy, but I figured, hell I need to learn anyway. So I managed to get 3 batteries out of it, but on my third I decided to finally try doing a 360 turn. I figured as long as it's high but not too high I may be able to get away with it. I leveled it and just did it, then did it the opposite way. That was really fun even though I still can't fly facing me. Of course I then got cocky with it and after changing to the last battery I tried turning it closer to me, and well I went right into the ground. I have since learned to keep the heli at a small distance but not too high as I lose orientation fairly quick on this thing. Even with the bright orange tail. It's just tough to see it. The good news is that even though I did kill another two feathering shafts, I just had this big smile on my face. Can't learn until you try it. Slowly getting over that feeling of crashing. I guess I have learned to fix them and set them up faster so it's not too bad. Today was a good day though even with all the wind.

I just tested the tail servo on the one messing me up and the servo is doing fine. Now I'm wondering if it's the receiver which has been fine and crashes haven't been too bad and just grass. This red label which is the latest assan firmware is starting to make me wonder if it's going bonkers now. My other assan cheapy I got before the red label is working fine so far. Well I need to do more testing before I can say for sure. The tail is moving smoothly.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Sep 09, 2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:10 AM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
4,872 Posts
just remember that those motors have a shaft of 2.5mm and the pinions are 2.3mm . i removed the motor shaft from its can and put it on a drill press . I sanded mine down to fit the pinion on.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:03 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I previously ordered two gears when I first got into the 250 since I didn't know exactly what it used. I think one of those is a 2.5, 14 tooth gear. Right now the only thing that bothers me is the orientation with the 250, even with my 20/20 I still have a problem keeping track of that. As you know this thing goes up fairly fast. I also got two 18amp esc's, I'm trying to squeeze a bit more time out of the batteries. Not sure if this will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
just remember that those motors have a shaft of 2.5mm and the pinions are 2.3mm . i removed the motor shaft from its can and put it on a drill press . I sanded mine down to fit the pinion on.
RCG Plus Member