HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2010, 04:47 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
That's the best approach, give the parts a good inspection during assembly, make sure metal-to-metal screws are loctite'd, and when you spin up for the first time, you'll know if anything is off based on how it performs at full head RPMs. I knew something was off with my tail, and never flew with it as a result. It's been a fight the entire time trying to get the tail issues sorted out, but eventually the troubleshooting will come to an end...
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2010, 04:49 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,646 Posts
Dang, something else I need to buy.... Tail pitch assy added to my list of things to get...

I wish they would have them for the 500 and 600...
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Feb 08, 2010, 04:55 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,646 Posts
Bizon, I have a HK250GT and a T25 (not the SE) and I like the HK better after yo ureplace a few parts with Align stuff. Belt, spindle, seesaw bushing to bearings, main blades, and swash when it quickly wears out. I do have to say most of what i like is the screaming fast head speed with a larger Turnigy motor.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8143
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Feb 08, 2010, 10:17 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Those of you using INO-LAB HGD-201HB tail servos, do NOT get Blue Loctite ANYWHERE near those plastic servo tabs. The blue Loctite eats the plastic like it's going out of style, it literally turns the plastic into a jolly-rancher type candy consistency, then the plastic will shatter under even the lightest amount of force. I went through TWO INO-LAB HGD-201HB servo cases before realizing how corrosive blue Loctite was on the plastic servo tabs. Anyone else have issues mounting the INO-LAB servo on the tail?
Old Feb 08, 2010, 10:38 PM
R/C Junkie
Claremore, OK, USA
Joined Feb 2004
369 Posts
I will keep that in mind. I ordered one on Friday.

Brian Bland
Claremore, OK
Sonex128 is online now Find More Posts by Sonex128
Old Feb 09, 2010, 03:31 AM
Joined Sep 2007
47 Posts
Hi, does anyone know the diameter of the tail boom?
krial is offline Find More Posts by krial
Old Feb 09, 2010, 05:03 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb View Post
Those of you using INO-LAB HGD-201HB tail servos, do NOT get Blue Loctite ANYWHERE near those plastic servo tabs. The blue Loctite eats the plastic like it's going out of style, it literally turns the plastic into a jolly-rancher type candy consistency, then the plastic will shatter under even the lightest amount of force. I went through TWO INO-LAB HGD-201HB servo cases before realizing how corrosive blue Loctite was on the plastic servo tabs. Anyone else have issues mounting the INO-LAB servo on the tail?
I had exactly the same thing on my HS-45 servo cases - fortunately just the top parts so easy to replace
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 09, 2010, 05:10 AM
Joined Sep 2008
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krial View Post
Hi, does anyone know the diameter of the tail boom?
Its 8,5mm outside, inside 7,9mm
muddyfox is offline Find More Posts by muddyfox
Old Feb 09, 2010, 08:25 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
I had exactly the same thing on my HS-45 servo cases - fortunately just the top parts so easy to replace
Agreed, only takes a couple of minutes to swap the top of the case. I will have to run to the hardware store later on to pick up some M2 bolts with nylon lock nuts to lock the servo down since I fear using blue Loctite anywhere near it.

Finally installed a new belt and have the Align metal tail completely reassembled, working MUCH better now, no issues with binding or restricted lateral movement along the pitch slider at full head speed. The built-in counter weights on the Align metal tail grips really do seem to make a difference. I'm also using the STOCK HK-250GT pitch slider, it's the only stock part on the tail (I'm using the Align metal control arm also), and the plastic ball fits into the Align metal tail control lever with absolutely no slop. Definitely day/night's difference from the 250GT stock tail assembly.

For those of you using a high-RPM motor, such as the Scorpion 2206-3900Kv, in combination with 401 Gyro's (HK401B, etc.), did you find that you had to set the gain fairly high, or am I better off starting low and working my way up? I have the Gyro set to 72% gain within my DX7 (heading hold), which is about where I set it with my 450, and the tail feels a little mushy and has a little left drift which can easily be trimmed out, but seems to hold ok otherwise. I haven't turned it up high enough to the point where it wags, but was curious to find out approximately where some of you set your gain for good tail locking. The INO-LAB HGD-201HB servo is plenty fast on the tail and has enough torque, but I know there is room for improvement with Gyro performance. I just wasn't sure whether or not smaller heli's needed generally higher gain or lower gain on the Gyro...
Old Feb 09, 2010, 08:49 AM
Joined May 2009
6 Posts
If you want to compare gain, you also need to know the lenght of tail servo arm. Longer arm "multiplys" the gain...
Bizon is offline Find More Posts by Bizon
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:15 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Ah, I see, so the shorter the arm, the MORE gain you need on the Gyro. Considering I'm using the innermost hole on a small servo arm for the tail, that means increased gain % within the radio. I'll turn it up until it wags and back off a few clicks...
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:49 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Bizon - thanks for the tip, that did the trick. Wag was induced at about 88% gain, I backed it down to 85% on the DX7 and all is well now. Nice controlled piro's and the tail locks in place as it should in hover. There was some slight left tail drift but I will chalk that up to the 18F outdoor temp. The drift was so slight that it was barely noticeable, could've trimmed it out but at temps above 40F it shouldn't be a factor.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:04 AM
Fish? Practice catch & release
South Africa
Joined Jan 2008
246 Posts
Which would be the better motor to use on a 3s setup? The Turnigy 2623-3000kv + 16T pinion or the Turnigy 2623-4500kv + 11T pinion? Head speeds will be similar plus they both weigh the same. Thanks!
Infms is offline Find More Posts by Infms
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:26 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
I've, finally, got Microheli's precision tail... And - what a pain... Something is telling me not to install it:

First I was hit by customs again: Royal Mail charged 8 to allow me to pay 6 of VAT on top of it (this is the last time I've ordered anything from states + I hate Royal Mail!!! grrr)...

Then I decided to keep tail shaft in and when attempted to get that tiny grab screw off miniature hex screwdriver's tip broke off (good loctite, it seems), so I had to take everything off (fortunately I have spare tail shafts)...But, now, I cannot finish tail without that screwdriver....

After that - tiny screw that goes to the end of tail assembly slipped (no - I didn't overtightened it ) so I need to find another... Also, there's something strange - it almost looks like Mircoheli's tail slider is meant to be used with shorter tail shaft - if I move it closest to the boom - it locks (yes - I did put that tiny plastic ring first, but even then)...

So, I can see so many problems with this - some invisible hand is telling me to give up... But I am far more stubborn than that! Will let you know when i finish everything..
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:00 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
clicky -

Let me know how the Microheli tail works out for you, I think mine was defective, it wouldn't square up to a perfectly straight tail shaft, the unit seemed malformed so I shipped it back to the vendor over the weekend. The Align all metal tail (metal control arm, metal grips with counter weights) works fine, and fits around the HK-250GT stock plastic ball (on the pitch slider) with no slop. Tail authority is good on the Align tail, so if the Microheli tail doesn't work for you either, go for the Align T-Rex SE 250 tail assembly.