HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 11:00 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Thanks mhills, but I don't think glue is going to help much here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
To help keep your plastic canopy together get some shoe goo. Also if you get a new one go ahead and put a layer of the glue were the stress areas are.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 11:04 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,519 Posts
I can send you mine
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Hey efx...Definitely practice practice practice in Phoenix with the trex 250...if you dont have Phoenix...well get it! =)
It will help you an unreal amount and save you a lot of money. I know what its like to just wanna go fly especially after spending the time building them, but it does no good to build em then destroy em in 5 minutes.
Phoenix has done a ton of help to my piloting skills, I was always crashing my helis, which in turn made my confidence flying really low which held me back from progressing.
Soon youll be inverted flying circuits wondering how you couldnt do it before.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old May 13, 2012, 11:16 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Thanks mhills,I appreciate the offer, but it's no big deal. I'll just try to refreain from trying to do anything other than just hovering if I decide to go back to the park. I also have to wait for servos as I killed one on the tarot heli and well, I need to wait for more parts as they are on back order and I'm out. I put in the order, but who knows when that will get here. But if you know of any others that may fit and can take a litte more beating do let me know. I just don't know what others I can use on these. I know there are many other helis, I'm just not familiar with them. So it's time to take a break from the helis for a bit anyway, I've been spending too much time on them so I need to go do something else for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I can send you mine
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2012, 11:17 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
That's why I've been trying too hard, I just want to do inverted sooooo bad, it's the only thing that keeps me going... The funny thing is I think I do better with the 450 than the 250's as far as keeping it from crashing now, well just a bit. They don't move like a demented puppy. Well, I've come this far, so I'm not giving up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
Hey efx...Definitely practice practice practice in Phoenix with the trex 250...if you dont have Phoenix...well get it! =)
It will help you an unreal amount and save you a lot of money. I know what its like to just wanna go fly especially after spending the time building them, but it does no good to build em then destroy em in 5 minutes.
Phoenix has done a ton of help to my piloting skills, I was always crashing my helis, which in turn made my confidence flying really low which held me back from progressing.
Soon youll be inverted flying circuits wondering how you couldnt do it before.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; May 13, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:22 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
On another note. I had to change the feathering shaft on the tarot heli. I'll just call it this so you know which heli I'm talking about. It turns out that the main blade dampers on the HK 250GT are softer than the align dampers. They work either way, but there you go. Oh and you don't need those inside washers if you lose them. The other heli doesn't have them and it's working great too. I was thinking of just finding a delrin rod and cut my own, but I'm not sure how well that will work or if its even a good idea as I know it's better to have something a bit soft to take the hit. So far, that's what I like about these helis, I usually only end up having to replace the feathering shaft and straighten the flybar back again, and it's usually good to go, after checking it again that is.

I was just looking at the 3rd video with the ga250 and I guess I went inverted already, if I had only rememebered to flip the switch! LOL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; May 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:15 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
On another note. I had to change the feathering shaft on the tarot heli. I'll just call it this so you know which heli I'm talking about. It turns out that the main blade dampers on the HK 250GT are softer than the align dampers. They work either way, but there you go. Oh and you don't need those inside washers if you lose them. The other heli doesn't have them and it's working great too. I was thinking of just finding a delrin rod and cut my own, but I'm not sure how well that will work or if its even a good idea as I know it's better to have something a bit soft to take the hit. So far, that's what I like about these helis, I usually only end up having to replace the feathering shaft and straighten the flybar back again, and it's usually good to go, after checking it again that is.

I was just looking at the 3rd video with the ga250 and I guess I went inverted already, if I had only rememebered to flip the switch! LOL

That's good to know about those washers, a lot of people seem to be asking about them. thank you for letting us know efx. keep up the good work!
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old May 14, 2012, 12:16 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Noted.... Pitchp, what other plastic canopy do you recommed for the 250? I broke both of my canopies now so I got nothing to cover the battery and I didn't want to get the same because they're just too brittle. I noticed you had a couple different ones, what say you?

On a different topic, I've decided to make another frankenstein heli. I have all the different parts so I thought, what the heck I'll put my other 450 clone back together. I'll make this my flybarless. I'm going with the cheapie flybarless kit for the 450 from hk. The 9 bucker, if it works great, if not oh well no harm done. I also just remembered why my tarot heli didn't go back quick...I had dialed the throttle down and totally forgot about it as it sounded pretty scary one the firsst video I did and thought I should tame it a bit, guess a bit too much.

awesome!
Old May 14, 2012, 12:55 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2011
341 Posts
We had recently a new flyer at our weekend flying spot. That guy was doing RC helicopter years back but stopped. Without simulator it was a pain, to learn more than fly some circles.

Now he decided to start again and bought a $3300 TX and a T-Rex 250 to start with. After two weeks he gave up on the 250. Nobody managed to get the tail work, with the GP-780 gyro and the DS420. His next helicopter was a T-Rec 450 Pro - flybarless of course...

So even with the original stuff, its quite a challenge. Some here got frustrated and put the quality of the clone kit in question, but its rather something else.

I am just happy that my 250 is back in the air and flies beautifully. Will also umpload a video to show how well the tail works.
HolgiB is offline Find More Posts by HolgiB
Old May 14, 2012, 12:56 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
Align Trex 250 DFC Head

Everyone has been waiting for this one. So here it is!

Only $40
http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product...oducts_id=4401

Specification:
● 250DFC Main Rotor Head Assembly 1
● 250DFC Main Blade Grip 2
● Bearing 682XZZ 4(Φ2.5xΦ62.6mm)
● Socket screw 2(M2x8mm)
● Damper rubber 70 2(Φ2.5xΦ52.6mm)
● Spacer 2(Φ2.5xΦ4.50.2mm)
● Socket button head screw 1(0#80牙 牙長6mm)
● Washer 1(Φ1.5xΦ50.3mm)
● Socket button head screw 1(0#80牙 牙長4mm)
● Washer 2(Φ2xΦ3.60.2mm)
● Socket collar screw 2(M2x12mm)
● 250DFC Main rotor grip arm integrated control link 2
● 250DFC Main rotor grip linkage bearing sleeve 2(Φ2xΦ3.2x3mm)
● 681ZZ-d2 Bearing 4(Φ2xΦ4.5x2mm)
● 250DFC Linkage rod A 2(M1.4x9mm 牙長3)
● Ball link 2(Φ3.58.25mm)
● 250DFC Main Shaft 1(Φ4.5xΦ3.5x74mm)

enjoy.
Thanks, pitchp. I think I'm going to have to try this one also.

It will be interesting. The Tarot and microheli heads have a lot of teeter ability, due to the narrow rotor housing and soft dampers, whereas the Align FB/FBL head has always had a lot less.

I'm glad I didn't throw away my spare Align 250 feathering shafts. I'll be able to use them again with this head. Seems the feathering shaft and screws/washers are the only thing required to complete this DFC head.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old May 14, 2012, 01:11 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Is there any advantage of the DFC head other than looking cool?
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old May 14, 2012, 01:19 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
DFC stands for... Don't fudge the copter or what? Okay, I need to go to bed, I'm getting sleepy... I think I'll stick with the 40 bucks in parts for now. Yeah the 250 can be frustrating, but I'm getting used to it. I like that fact that I can fix it faster than the 450, but it's harder to fly, and the 450 seems to be the opposite, just do to the size obviously. Like someone once told me, you just have to pick and choose you battles. All I know is that learning patience is an art. LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 01:21 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,918 Posts
Quote:
Lower center of gravity is the main reason. Less parts. Some say it's quieter and has longer flight times or more power. I'm not sure whether this will apply to the 250.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old May 14, 2012, 01:38 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolgiB View Post
We had recently a new flyer at our weekend flying spot. That guy was doing RC helicopter years back but stopped. Without simulator it was a pain, to learn more than fly some circles.

Now he decided to start again and bought a $3300 TX and a T-Rex 250 to start with. After two weeks he gave up on the 250. Nobody managed to get the tail work, with the GP-780 gyro and the DS420. His next helicopter was a T-Rec 450 Pro - flybarless of course...

So even with the original stuff, its quite a challenge. Some here got frustrated and put the quality of the clone kit in question, but its rather something else.

I am just happy that my 250 is back in the air and flies beautifully. Will also umpload a video to show how well the tail works.

the gp780 is a very sensitive gyro, but the gp750 on the other hand is the best one to buy out of all the GP gyros. The trick with the 250 is to find a good gyro servo combo. I've heard the gp780 performs well with the JR3500G. It's really good to hear that you have your 250 working nicely.
Old May 14, 2012, 01:42 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2011
341 Posts
Quote:
When I played and worked on the mechanical setup on my 450 flybarless head, I was running into quite some binding issues related to the washout base. Also the arms seems to limit the movement of the swash a lot.

Only with the DFC head, flybarless makes mechanically 100% sense to me. Also the shorter main shaft has advantages. With all the other FBL heads, the head itself looks stretched and empty. So not from an aesthetic but rather mechanical point of view the classic FBL head seems not to be the optimum.

What I heard is, that the heli flies way better with the DFC head. Which doesn't surprise me, when I look at the one I am currently using.
HolgiB is offline Find More Posts by HolgiB