HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:49 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
wow welp after doing an intense research on FBL's I think i'll stick to the flybar, I'm not a perfectionist so the FBL i guess won't be for me. It looks to complicated to setup and get going first time. Most of all the mechanical setup must be A1 and secondly the electronics must be compatible. So after hearing all those things I think I'll just get the quark. I might even try the HB790 gyro. I'm going to leave it to that.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with FBL, but I just don't think it would be for me.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:59 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,274 Posts
I think you are a perfectionist and that is why you are sticking to FB. The biggest point people bring up after switching is getting use to just letting the gyros take control or your lack of control at center stick. I just don't have a working one yet. Still plagued with one problem after another. Got my all new head for my 450, but now waiting on pro swash so the ball ends don't bind. I do have a S bus rx on it's way so now I need a beast, 3gx, or Ace 3 axis to go with it.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:36 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
wow welp after doing an intense research on FBL's I think i'll stick to the flybar, I'm not a perfectionist so the FBL i guess won't be for me. It looks to complicated to setup and get going first time. Most of all the mechanical setup must be A1 and secondly the electronics must be compatible. So after hearing all those things I think I'll just get the quark. I might even try the HB790 gyro. I'm going to leave it to that.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with FBL, but I just don't think it would be for me.
Yeah, that's the downside of going flybarless, but even when the true necessity is less, the benefit of a perfect mechanical setup and good mix of electronics is about the same with a flybar heli.

Faster flips and rolls, more smooth control, less swash plate setup related drift, less gyro related issues, you name it. It all adds up anyway.

By the way which gyro do you mean with HB790 gyro? Got a link?

I do have a couple more Tarot ZYX units and heads coming soon though. They're basically too cheap to really pass on, while they seem to be working just fine.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:05 AM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,143 Posts
when i switched to FBL (beastx from GY401) i was amazed at how simple it is. The beastx worked as stock on my 250 and 450, very little adjustment needed.

Ian
ipjodan is offline Find More Posts by ipjodan
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
That's because it's not necessarily more difficult to set up, assuming you've got the mechanical setup done correctly anyway.

Then it's just a matter of following the manual really.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:14 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Yeah, that's the downside of going flybarless, but even when the true necessity is less, the benefit of a perfect mechanical setup and good mix of electronics is about the same with a flybar heli.

Faster flips and rolls, more smooth control, less swash plate setup related drift, less gyro related issues, you name it. It all adds up anyway.

By the way which gyro do you mean with HB790 gyro? Got a link?

I do have a couple more Tarot ZYX units and heads coming soon though. They're basically too cheap to really pass on, while they seem to be working just fine.

Yep sure, apparently it's a quark clone, if yours arrives before mine, let us know if that is true.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1605701
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:19 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I think you are a perfectionist and that is why you are sticking to FB. The biggest point people bring up after switching is getting use to just letting the gyros take control or your lack of control at center stick. I just don't have a working one yet. Still plagued with one problem after another. Got my all new head for my 450, but now waiting on pro swash so the ball ends don't bind. I do have a S bus rx on it's way so now I need a beast, 3gx, or Ace 3 axis to go with it.
nah I'm not a perfectionist. If i was, i wouldn't be here. But the main reasons are exactly what i said before. Here are the downers

1. The heli must be A1 mechanical
2. It is important to have a highly compatible cyclic and tail servos
3. It's a very fragile setup, one hard smack on the ground and she is off balance.

Don't get me wrong there are a lot more pros than cons, but you must be able to adhere to the cons to benefit from the pros.

This is what I've seen from people going through the FBL journey. Try it and you will know what I mean. It's either for you or it's not. I know what the outcome will be, but I'd rather wait and see.
Last edited by pitchp; Mar 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipjodan View Post
when i switched to FBL (beastx from GY401) i was amazed at how simple it is. The beastx worked as stock on my 250 and 450, very little adjustment needed.

Ian
Fbl is made for you.

I could see what's starting to happen in this hobby, it's being split into 2 categories.
Fbl pilots and FB pilots
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Yep sure, apparently it's a quark clone, if yours arrives before mine, let us know if that is true.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1605701
Will do, although I haven't actually placed an order yet. I might do so in the future and then I'll let you know. At the moment I'm waiting for another batch of Tarot ZYX gyros to arrive.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Align GP790 might well be my next buy. A friend of mine already flies one on his 250 and loves it. Very stable and a rock solid hold, but obviously not really that cheap.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Oct 2010
49 Posts
FBL Cyclic

Quote:
Fbl is made for you.

I could see what's starting to happen in this hobby, it's being split into 2 categories.
Fbl pilots and FB pilots
Well, I'm interested in FBL for the 250 because, as I understand, it dampens the effects of wind gusts.

But tell me. What cyclic servos should I use? I'm kind of confused about how high of a torque I need.
butterfingers is offline Find More Posts by butterfingers
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:25 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfingers View Post
Well, I'm interested in FBL for the 250 because, as I understand, it dampens the effects of wind gusts.

But tell me. What cyclic servos should I use? I'm kind of confused about how high of a torque I need.
That is a very good question, I first thought the 922mg was a good choice, but now from what I've read about them with the Tarot ZYX, it can be tricky to use. We just gotta rely on our friends here who has the Tarot ZYX with a good cyclic and tail combo feedback. Uhm bf i think is using align on the cyclics and mks on the tail, don't quote me on that, it's been awhile since i heard from him. As for the HK's fast orange servos sp00fman was suppose to try them and give feedback, i guess everyone's been busy.

The FBL has a lot of pros, but i'm trying to weigh up the scales, with the cons, is it really worth it. Are we all just a bit scared on taking the plunge, because it's something new. Perhaps may be I'm just in my little square of flybar and I feel safe because I know how to work with it, and FL is just a stranger.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:03 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,274 Posts
I have three aligns from rc711 that should be here this week for mine.
http://www.rc711.com/shop/align-ds41...?cPath=249_248
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:10 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Quote:
That is a very good question, I first thought the 922mg was a good choice, but now from what I've read about them with the Tarot ZYX, it can be tricky to use. We just gotta rely on our friends here who has the Tarot ZYX with a good cyclic and tail combo feedback. Uhm bf i think is using align on the cyclics and mks on the tail, don't quote me on that, it's been awhile since i heard from him. As for the HK's fast orange servos sp00fman was suppose to try them and give feedback, i guess everyone's been busy.

The FBL has a lot of pros, but i'm trying to weigh up the scales, with the cons, is it really worth it. Are we all just a bit scared on taking the plunge, because it's something new. Perhaps may be I'm just in my little square of flybar and I feel safe because I know how to work with it, and FL is just a stranger.
Yep, spot on, pitchp. I have 3 Align DS410's on my 250 ZYX and they're working well after many flights.

I'm also using 3 Ino-lab D202HB's on my Gaui X2 ZYX and these seem to be working well also.

I also have 3 DS410M's on my Align 450 Sport using a crossflashed CX-3X1000 (to ZYX) and 3 DS410M's on my ALZRC 450 Pro 3GYS, and they're performing very well also.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:00 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I have three aligns from rc711 that should be here this week for mine.
http://www.rc711.com/shop/align-ds41...?cPath=249_248
FYI, note about avoiding burnout.
http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=3788
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Mar 19, 2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: link missing
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfingers View Post
Yes, as far as the 250 being a not-so stable and pretty touchy helicopter, especially in wind gusts and without ultra high headspeeds, converting a 250 to flybarless will really make it a lot more stable and more comfortable to fly.