HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:44 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolgiB View Post
I am using the HKSCM9-6 on my 450 V2 and really satisfied with them.

But some words about the spare gears. HobbyKing doesn't have spare gears for them. You can use the HXT900 gears to fix a broken servo. But two of the gears (the two top ones) need to be replaced and the number of teeth is different. So the ratio/speed of the servo changes. When you have 3 broken servos with stripped gears, you can build an identical set with these gears. Could be used for cyclic again, but perform different of course!

The ESC only got a 5V BEC. You are wasting potential of your servos. I would rather go for a BEC which can do 6V. But there is nothing in the HK store. The only small ESC I know with 6V BEC (you can even adjust from 5 - 6 in .25V steps,) is the original Align one. It also comes with a governor and is quite light.
I know what you mean, it would be nice for a cheapie clone of this Align 15A ESC
RCE-BL15X

http://beta.ivc.no/rc_airplane/align...esc_manual.pdf

It would also be nice for HK to have some decent ESC clones of th Mini Jazz 15A/20A ESC.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Last edited by pitchp; Mar 07, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:29 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2011
341 Posts
YES I can't agree more. There is acutally no "real" heli ESC in the HobbyKing store. Switchable BEC is for higher amp ESCs also a rare feature. Well we can add a separate BEC (like I did for my 250) but with the wiring and one additional electronic component on the heli not nice.

Especially with FBL, where you already have to cramp quite something into our tiny birds.
HolgiB is offline Find More Posts by HolgiB
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2011
341 Posts
Hobbyking is now stocking the programming adapter as well for the ZYX FBL:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Adapter_.html

But still no cheap 450 FBL heads in stock and nothing for the 250.
HolgiB is offline Find More Posts by HolgiB
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:53 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
YES I can't agree more. There is acutally no "real" heli ESC in the HobbyKing store. Switchable BEC is for higher amp ESCs also a rare feature. Well we can add a separate BEC (like I did for my 250) but with the wiring and one additional electronic component on the heli not nice.

Especially with FBL, where you already have to cramp quite something into our tiny birds.
What would you consider to be a real heli ESC? There are loads of ESC with decent soft start features and governor modes. Not all of them come with SBECs, but some in fact do. This number also seems to be increasing.

Then there's the obvious thing of many helicopter setups not requiring more than the 5V many ESCs do provide effortlessly.

Quote:
The ESC only got a 5V BEC. You are wasting potential of your servos. I would rather go for a BEC which can do 6V. But there is nothing in the HK store. The only small ESC I know with 6V BEC (you can even adjust from 5 - 6 in .25V steps,) is the original Align one. It also comes with a governor and is quite light.
Its somewhat of a myth that you actually need those 6V with smaller helicopters though, unless you're talking about an outdated inefficient old generation linear BECs that can't provide a reliable continuous 2A/3A output current for your electronics.

Many of the modern SBECs boast an efficiency of ~93% which is well enough to meet the demand of digital servos of higher torque and additional electronics you'd normally use on the smaller helicopters.

The Turnigy AE-30A Brushless ESC will really work fine on a 250, without using a UBEC.

The main reason why people choose to use an UBEC is to maintain control over servos and receiver (doh) in case of an ESC failure.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Last edited by PHMX; Mar 07, 2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:31 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,640 Posts
Tarot has a 250 speed control that looks just like the Align. There is no specs on it, but it is cheap http://www.rcinthebox.com/tarot-250-...-_p148356.html
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:00 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Tarot has a 250 speed control that looks just like the Align. There is no specs on it, but it is cheap http://www.rcinthebox.com/tarot-250-...-_p148356.html
that's a pentium esc. I got that one. the one we are looking for has to have
6v to support the servos. Turnigy AE will be fine, but it wont bring the servos to it's optimum efficiency. The turnigy ae will work with those servos, it will be good enough for now. But I am considering that align ESC just to see what those servos can really do. But if you find an align esc clone or even better one, please let us know.

But just to sum it up Holgib is just trying to make sure there is minimal power congestion (for a lack of a better word) as such in my power train. If the esc doesn't deliver the power that the servos trully need, then the result is something what this guy is experiencing.

slow servos (0 min 26 sec)

A good Power Train is the key!
Last edited by pitchp; Mar 07, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:01 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Intermission....

Trex 250SE 16T pinion (3 min 35 sec)
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:17 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,640 Posts
Good news! one of my 250 torque tubes have shipped!
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:22 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Good news! one of my 250 torque tubes have shipped!
photos please!
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
But just to sum it up Holgib is just trying to make sure there is minimal power congestion (for a lack of a better word) as such in my power train. If the esc doesn't deliver the power that the servos trully need, then the result is something what this guy is experiencing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9jsU...1&feature=plcp
That doesn't look like a power issue to me though. Under such zero load conditions like this servos will easily be able to run at their full speed.

It's also entirely unknown which FBL settings he's using there, but I'd suspect he's got something setup wrong in there instead or is simply using terribly slow servos like the title suggests.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
I installed the Power HD D65 servo on the tail and was wondering if this was a bad idea!I bought it for its size , weight ,and speed!!The torque is somewhat low compared to the mini servos alot of people are using,but I really don't think that should be a issue with these 250's what do you guys think?
[IMG][/IMG]
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5kg_07sec.html
im2tall is offline Find More Posts by im2tall
Last edited by im2tall; Mar 07, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
I'm using this one;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10976

and it's actually very capable of withstanding hardcore 3D (on both 250s and 450s alike).

So, I really think you should be just fine with 1,3kg/cm @ 4,8v and 1,5kg/cm @ 6v for the most part.

The difference isn't actually that huge.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Thanks!
im2tall is offline Find More Posts by im2tall
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:55 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
That doesn't look like a power issue to me though. Under such zero load conditions like this servos will easily be able to run at their full speed.

It's also entirely unknown which FBL settings he's using there, but I'd suspect he's got something setup wrong in there instead or is simply using terribly slow servos like the title suggests.
Those servos are slightly slower indeed, and he admits to that but he also admits that the esc wasn't doing the power train any justice.

But it would be nice for the turnigy ae to be upgraded to support 6v servos.

He's using the copterx on an HK450 modded kit.

Copterx FBL unit in HK450 (4 min 26 sec)

But I'm still considering the ALIGN 15A ESC just to see how those orange servos perform on 6v POWER!!
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:00 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
The MOST EXPENSIVE 250!!

This has to be the most expensive 250 heli, I have ever seen!! $2300.00 ouch!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALIGN-RTF...item53ea42ecbf

why is it so expensive????

It looks similar to the Trex 250 V2 FBL combo that is about to be released!

I'm wondering will HK make an HK250GTarot FBL Combo soon??
Last edited by pitchp; Mar 07, 2012 at 09:34 PM.