Old Oct 18, 2009, 01:56 PM
I Can Fly An FP Inverted!
Teddington, Middlesex, UK
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by holsen
Another set of observations:

The G401B gyro sits very close to the tail boom supports when mounted upside down under the gyro mount (only position that I could see as it's rather big). But it just clears both (at least without vibrations on the ground/table) if positioned precisely.

I have a MKS480 on the tail, ball in closest servo arm hole, servo rod parallel to boom, no binding, gyro in digital mode, 0 delay, around 80 for limit. But the tail was not solid. Could only gain via gear channel up to around +35 before it shaked a little. On piro stop I get a bounce. Not a "clean" and quick stop. Is the servo too weak? I have a GWS HPX-F from HK as well to try (more torque as I remember but not digital).

Do I need a more highend gyro and/or servo for a more solid feel?

Also annoyed by the canopy being too tight or out of intended shape I guess on the left side, so the servo hits it. Tried to dremel a rather large hole in it to make room. Not optimal. The noise level is also increased quite a lot with it on, so I test flew without, but visibility is hurt, and a 250 sure gets very small to look at very quickly
the G401B is a little on the large side, have you moved the gyro tray to the other mount?

I managed to bend my canopy the right shape with carefull application of heat, just make sure not to burn it

that tail setup should be OK, no high performer, but it sounds like it just needs tweaking.

everyone knows that the tail on the 250 sucks anyway, unfortuately align decided to use a large OD boom and a thick tail shaft, so you cant replace it with a gaui tail (not easily anyway)
Hal_The_Hacker is offline Find More Posts by Hal_The_Hacker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2009, 02:07 PM
Joined Mar 2009
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal_The_Hacker
the G401B is a little on the large side, have you moved the gyro tray to the other mount?

I managed to bend my canopy the right shape with carefull application of heat, just make sure not to burn it

that tail setup should be OK, no high performer, but it sounds like it just needs tweaking.

everyone knows that the tail on the 250 sucks anyway, unfortuately align decided to use a large OD boom and a thick tail shaft, so you cant replace it with a gaui tail (not easily anyway)
Can a hair dryer be used for heat source? I tried bending it without heat but cracked the fiber a little, so stopped doing that.

Can the SE T-Rex 250 tail with chinese weight mode be bought as spare part now, to fit our GT? Perhaps it will help...
holsen is offline Find More Posts by holsen
Old Oct 18, 2009, 02:10 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Can a hair dryer be used for heat source? I tried bending it without heat but cracked the fiber a little, so stopped doing that.

Can the SE T-Rex 250 tail with chinese weight mode be bought as spare part now, to fit our GT? Perhaps it will help...
I suppose a hair dryer could work, maxx heat and move it around slowly.

I dont recall which of the two sets of grips work better on the 250, but I am pretty sure the grips with chinese weights are avaliable seperately, I couldnt say if it will improve the tail

I have a high performance tail setup, so my tail is TOLERABLE (not great)
Old Oct 18, 2009, 02:20 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
I assume you mean for the battery.

not such a great idea, I know a guy who's nephew managed to 'daisy chain' 8 6s2500 packs, soon as he connected the last connector, that garage never looked the same again

not to mention the possibility of plugging them into each other by accident, or having them touching

the hazards are neverending

well ive been using them for about 5 years and im 15 so they cant be that dangerous.
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Oct 18, 2009, 06:04 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,660 Posts
Well, I got out to fly today in 15mph winds and 50 degrees... Surprised to find the GT ROCKS!!! Flies absolutely wonderful, as much apparent power as my 450Pro and about the same roll and loop speed which is very quick. Piro rate is not there but I think with some work to get rid of slop and tightening up the tail and this will be a great little bird, not my go to helo but one that I will not hesitate to grab and go...
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Oct 18, 2009, 08:26 PM
Joined May 2009
30 Posts
How would this servo be for the tail?
HG 201 Carbonite Gear BB - 8.9g / .09s / .6kg
I know it is not digital.
As for the power connectors, I have EC3s on my batteries for my Blade 400.
I have a few extras sitting around. Do you think they would work OK for the HK250GT?
I am thinking they are a tad bit big in size but workable.
One more question. Should I take apart the entire head and go through every screw and bolt and lictite them or is the factory setup OK?
I am replacing the feathering shaft and I'll loctite the screws for that.
Thanks all.
mekaone is offline Find More Posts by mekaone
Last edited by mekaone; Oct 19, 2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:44 AM
USA, NY, Syracuse
Joined May 2005
874 Posts
Quote:

I have a MKS480 on the tail, ball in closest servo arm hole, servo rod parallel to boom, no binding, gyro in digital mode, 0 delay, around 80 for limit. But the tail was not solid. Could only gain via gear channel up to around +35 before it shaked a little. On piro stop I get a bounce. Not a "clean" and quick stop. Is the servo too weak? I have a GWS HPX-F from HK as well to try (more torque as I remember but not digital).

Do I need a more highend gyro and/or servo for a more solid feel?

turn the delay up and you should get rid of the bounce. I had it on my HK450 before I got a real tail servo.

PS I should have my 250 today....!!!
Your item arrived at 5:44 AM on October 19, 2009 in SYRACUSE
beer-man is offline Find More Posts by beer-man
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:07 AM
Shut up and talk to me!!
Manila
Joined Aug 2006
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer-man

PS I should have my 250 today....!!!
Your item arrived at 5:44 AM on October 19, 2009 in SYRACUSE
Time for a BEER!!!

Errr....maybe after you have assembled it, we don;t want you to loose teeny weeny screws....
deanc338 is offline Find More Posts by deanc338
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:04 AM
Joined May 2009
30 Posts
Beer-man.
Congrats :-)
I just started to assemble my HK250GT yesterday and installed the main shaft to check fit and found that it was bent. I have to hold out on doing the rest till my order of extra shafts shows. Uggg :-(
Other than that I am real impressed with the heli so far. Looks like it is going to be a lot of fun :-)
mekaone is offline Find More Posts by mekaone
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:13 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekaone
How would this servo be for the tail?
HG 201 Carbonite Gear BB - 8.9g / .09s / .6kg
I know it is not digital.
As for the power connectors, I have EC3s on my batteries for my Blade 400.
I have a few extras sitting around. Do you think they would work OK for the HK250GT?
I am thinking they are a tad bit big in size but workable.
One more question. Should I take apart the entire head and go through every screw and bolt and lictite them or is the factory setup OK?
I am replacing the feathering shaft and I'll loctite the screws for that.
Thanks all.
I found ZERO loctite on my 250GT, I had to go through every single screw in the frame, head and tail.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:14 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,660 Posts
At a minimum check your main grip bearings as some have been the wrong sizes and use an Align T250 tail belt.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:14 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
At a minimum check your main grip bearings as some have been the wrong sizes and use an Align T250 tail belt.
my belt was fine....till i snapped it in a crash

and the stock 250 belt sucks, get the yellow kevlar reinforced one
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:15 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,660 Posts
Quote:
I found ZERO loctite on my 250GT, I had to go through every single screw in the frame, head and tail.
Mine had loctite on all the head, swash, and tail parts but none on the frame screw and bolts.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:16 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,660 Posts
Quote:
my belt was fine....till i snapped it in a crash

and the stock 250 belt sucks, get the yellow kevlar reinforced one
Do you have the broken GT belt and the Align? Can you do a pull test to see the difference? My GT belt lasted 4 setup hovers...
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:01 PM
Lake City, PA USA
Joined Sep 1999
333 Posts
I fly off grass. My HK belt was fine then I scraped the tail on the ground in some wind. It pulled the belt in one spot and broke the fibers. From then on the spot just stretched... The Align belt has "ribs" on the back side so as to be stronger.

After removal the HK belt showed the weak spot. I found I could simply pull and break the fibers in any spot. Then the belt just stretched.

Gene
GeneR is offline Find More Posts by GeneR
Last edited by GeneR; Oct 20, 2009 at 11:42 AM.